PDA

View Full Version : 302 or 351W

kicken250x
06-04-2004, 10:19 PM
well heres whats gonna happen...i just got a 94 ranger and im turning it into a "drag" truck, im gonna slam it to the ground, put a new body style one piece fiberglass front end on it, cobra wheels, mini tub it, 6 point cage, and either with a 302 or a 351W in it. the only thing is, i dont know which to put in it? whats the difference in a 302 and a 351W other than the bore and stroke? like torque and horse power ratings and such. i know there are more parts for a 302 but which responds better to upgrades? any info on the motors would be great. thanks a lot, later ;)

pmorris
06-05-2004, 12:38 AM
I think you should go with the 351W, there is simply more power potential with it. The 351W and 302 are from the same engine family (small block ford), the deck hieght on the 351W block is taller than the 302 block, the standard bore is the same(4.00
") , the bore spacing is the same so the clyinder heads will interchange, although the 351 uses 1/2" head bolts verses the 302's 7/16". If you were to physically look at the bottom ends of both blocks side by side, you would notice that the 351W has a much beefier bottom end, such as the main caps, main webs, larger diameter crank shaft main journals. Since the 351W is a taller engine, it is a little bit wider than the 302, so if space is an issue in the Ranger, the 302 might be an easier fit. Also because of the deck hieght difference, the intake manifolds, and distributors won't interchange, nor will the crankshafts do the difference in the main journal diameters.
Luckily there is a wealth of aftermarket parts for both engines, its almost like the sky's the limit in what you want to do with the SBF. The key the making power with either engine is the cylinder heads, sadly the factory heads suck, so your best bet would be is to go with an aftermarket head, like AFR's, Trick Flow's, or World products, ETC.. And also there are several stroker kits for both engines (331,347,etc.. for 302's. 393,408,427,etc.. for 351W's).
Remember there is no replacement for displacement! Good Luck!

Jimford
06-05-2004, 06:18 AM
Its good to here that you are putting a ford into a ford. I am diehard ford! I know that you can get new 302 blocks cheap as hell. Then put a 347 stroker kit in it. RRIIIPPPP! Or put a 427 stroker in the 351. Stroker kits kick but. I've seen 650hp out of a junkyard 302, thats with the stock bottom end! NOS! I have the article from car craft. Whatever you do good luck! Keep us posted.

JAS326
06-05-2004, 06:57 AM
My vote is for the 351W as well. I don't know what direction you plan on going so you might want to take a look at this budget twin turbo 351W website. (http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm)

CTmxyfz
06-05-2004, 07:22 AM
460! lol. If its going to bve a drag truck, find a 302 HO motor from the mustangs, i think they come with super chargers?

mascman
06-05-2004, 07:27 AM
The 351W has a lot more torque than the 302.

I had an older 4x4 Ranger that I converted to v-8 back in the late 80's. I first installed a 351...it will fit. That motor had so much torque that I kept braking driveline parts. It had stock transfer case and axles. I changed the output shaft from the stock tranny to a c-5, which allowed it to bolt up to the stock transfer case.

The only aftermarket parts I used were Advanced Adapters motor mounts, B&M shifter and some dual electric fans. The stock mechanical fan would not fit and has to be removed. I used Maverick headers for clearance. I had to notch the heater box for clearance, but that was it. Well, a sledghammer was needed in some spots!

Later on, I found out the Windsor had a cracked cylinder wall the whole time I was running it! It always ran hot, but still ran well. I swapped in a 302. It was a little better to the drivetrain since it didn't have as much torque.

I guess what I'm trying to say it...go with the 351!

JAS326
06-05-2004, 07:29 AM
I think the only supercharged 'stangs were the Cobras. The SVO was a turbocharged but only had a 2.3L.

pmorris
06-05-2004, 10:35 AM
There are a couple of great websites concerning high performance Fords. www.fordmuscle.com and www.mustangsandmore.com The guys over there are some of the most knowledgable people I've ran across, true diehards, that bleed Ford blue!

markeg192
06-05-2004, 12:53 PM
302 will be an easier and a cleaner fit. I've seen a couple that were real fast too.

mascman
06-05-2004, 01:00 PM
The 351Windsor is a small block. It will fit where a 302 will.

kicken250x
06-05-2004, 01:13 PM
to be honist i really was never a ford fan untill i got into prerunning and wheeling. im still slightly an import fan, as i was big into the seen about a year or two ago, so i know about sledge hammer action on making things fit! ive done many many motor swaps. its not going to be strictly a drag truck though, it will be driven A LOT. i will have a CRX or civic to put around but most of the time it will be the truck getting driven. i KNOW i can get motor mounts for a 302 to ranger swap. do they make them for a 351W to ranger? i want this to be the truck that sends all the preppy import guys running with their tails tucked between their legs! but it still has to be drivable... so a 351W will fit eh? ill have to see where i can find a block and c-5 (a c-5 is going in it no matter what motor is in). im still in school so what im planning on doing is collecting everything i need this summer and this up comming school year and building it next summer unless i get something stupid by then (aka small car) to drive during the year. i appriciate all the help! hell anymore info you can give me would be great, such as what to get a small rear end out of (meaning the shortest 9in)?

also, what do yall think of this...if i decide to go with the 302 then im going to keep the mustang theme throughout, headlights in a ranger front end, possibly stang dash, seats, basicly anything i can fit or make fit out of a mustang will go in that truck of i can find it. thanks again guys! later

kicken250x
06-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by mascman
The 351Windsor is a small block. It will fit where a 302 will.

pmorris said the deck height is a little higher and the over all width is slightly wider as a result. but..how much wider? wait...i believe pmorris said the blocks are almost identical in appearance...would this out the mounting points in the same position? if so then ill most likely go with the 351w seeing as how i could get more power for less money...

mascman
06-05-2004, 04:19 PM
I said that I had a 351 in my Ranger and then put in a 302, using Advanced Adapters motor mounts. To be honest, you could probably weld in some new mounts to work though. This is a pretty easy swap and you could do it in a couple weeks. My Ranger did have a 3" body lift, so that gave me more room to work with. The Windsor would be just a couple inches wider at the valve covers, but the block is the same.

Check out Advanced Adapters for more info on a lot of motor swaps.

For a rearend, I would look at the 1995 and up Explorer rears. They are 8.8s and you can get them with rear discs as stock equipment. Mine has rear discs and even with 35" tires, it stops very well. They are not much smaller than the 9" and it should be the right width for your truck. The spring perches are on the bottom of the axle, But you can swap to the top for $20 spring perches. They came stock with 3.73s and 4.10s which would work well for a street machine.

I have swapped mine to 4.56s:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/76747/HaleyTruck-Small.jpg

quadfamily
06-05-2004, 08:24 PM
The mounting points are the same for a 302 or a 351. The extra width comes from the extra deck height. The 351 is definately your best bet. All the mods cost the same whether its a 302 or 351 so why not start with more cubes/torque?

kicken250x
06-05-2004, 10:12 PM
i want a narrower rear end than an explorer. since it will be mini tubed i want some deep wheels like...no smaller than about a 12 inch wide wheel. i think yall about have me sold on the 351W... i think thats what im going with im going to ask around first and make sure its gonna fit, i know someone over at desert rides or the ranger station has know. now i gotta find me a decent motor, a c-5, and what ever rear end yall suggest. now...who makes the best stroker, intake, things of this sort. it HAS to be fuel injected and pass emitions so... (damn that sucks...) thanks again for the help guys! later

HoNdAdude48
06-06-2004, 11:29 AM
kinda off subject but you can get insane hp from a 302. our teamate runs a turbo charged 302, 1900 hp. this car runs 4.80's in the 1/8 consistantly. what im sayin is take the 302 & dont worry bout the 351w. GO TURBO! or procharger.

kicken250x
06-06-2004, 04:09 PM
whats the price on a turbo/supercharger set up for a 302? ive already got a 302 lined up all i have to do is call the guy and tell him i want it and the more i think about it im leaning more towards it...i know it will fit i know where mad motors are and people with mad parts i could get for cheap. i looked on summit and jegs and didnt see anything in the way of a turbo/supercharger kit so any sites would be cool. :::thumbs up:::

quadfamily
06-06-2004, 04:17 PM
dude, exactly how many people have to tell you the 351 will fit before you believe it?

HoNdAdude48
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
well the cost of a 1900 hp turbo set up right would be about 10,000 & thats at the VERY least. on our vette, computer, sensors, turbo, plumbing, fabricating, all the bells and whistles it was about $30,000. a turbo is not somthing you can go buy and bolt on, evetything has to be fabricated to fit. if your gonna mostly street drive & race some, i would get a small, 20mm turbo with an air to air intercooler. it cost quite abit so dont get your hopes up, but definatly woth it. if your interested contact precision turbo, do a search on the web, i lost their www adress.

as far as a super charger, go to procharger's or vortech's website and see if they dont have one for a 302. a lot of the late model ford f-150's have 302's, so they should have a supercharger for them. superchargers make constant power like a turbo, but not near as much power, but its instantanius, they also bolt on.

ewalker302
06-06-2004, 09:36 PM
If you are wondering about performance costs for a 302 or 351 just pick up a superford or 5.0 magazine.

You can order enough free catalogs out of the back to keep you busy for months.

Just do plenty of research before you actually do any kind of rebuild. I rebuilt my 351m in my bronco & later realized that all I needed was a different crank/rods to make it a 400.

Oh and a supercharger for a efi 302/351 is about 2,500-3,000.

:bandit:

kicken250x
06-07-2004, 10:40 PM
i believe one will fit quadfamily... you dont have to get all bent out of shape about it:p i just know where more stuff for a 302 that i can get is.

i knew for something that would give me 1900hp (like im gonna drive that on the street anyway, tho it would be fun... haha) it would be some insane price because i built a turbo b-16 honda motor and it ended up being close to 600 bucks. i think with me building the manifold, intake, and down piping. im not to sure if i want to tackle a v-8 charger yet so if i do anything it will be a supercharger but i really want all motor.

here in the next about 3 months im gonna get atleast 4 grand from a car me and bro are building and the truck will be done....soon...ill be sure to post pics and let you know what i decide on doing. thanks a lot for your help guys! and now...galaga...im out!

450Racer
06-08-2004, 08:56 AM
my friend has an 87 ranger. he has fiberglass fender flares. it's painted metalic gun metal, 35" tires, 6" lift and he's putting a 351 in his next month. the only hard park with that is finding the right tranny. he found a manual by luck.

kicken250x
06-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by 450Racer
my friend has an 87 ranger. he has fiberglass fender flares. it's painted metalic gun metal, 35" tires, 6" lift and he's putting a 351 in his next month. the only hard park with that is finding the right tranny. he found a manual by luck.

what tranny is he using? i want to use either a c-5 with a manual valve body or a S5-42/S5-47. which of the S5-42/S5-47 has the lower gearing?

diesel-mech
06-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Not that it matters but the HP302 and the 351w have a different firing order than your std302 which makes the sound much better I think.
If your looking to find a cheap 351w-1976(and other years???) ford vans only used 351w as its only V8 option. So if your good and found one at a junk yard you may get them to beleave its a 302 and buy it cheaper. As power goes I'm not sure if thats a great after year for that engine but my van does good.
Also I have a budy who put a HP302 in his ranger. He did a beautiful job. Its got a 4 link-9" 4:11 posi and trumec(SP)5-spd. I can hook you up with him if you want to pick his brain. PM me if so