PDA

View Full Version : Another Brake question

kaneman23
03-23-2002, 04:29 PM
O.k. You guys have really helped me out today and I have just one more question. I am having a hard time bleeding the brakes and I have done a search on brake bleeding and found a bunch of helpful threads. However, I can barely move my 4 wheeler because the pads are too tight against the disc. Is this common when putting new brakes on? Is this the reason I am having a hard time bleeding the brakes. I didn't see any way to adjust them so I am assuming they will wear down if I can ever get them bled...

03-23-2002, 08:17 PM
i've had the same problem with the pads being to tight. i took mine to a bench top belt sander to thin them out abit (my new pads were twice as thick as the stock pads are new) buddy of mine had the same problem with his 300ex and did the same thing. some people may disagree but they fit now and it stops fine. if you leave your pads tight on your rotor you will warp it $$$ their sure not giving those away these days. hope this helped

VegasEx'r
03-23-2002, 08:56 PM
This is probably a stupid question, but did you push the caliper piston back into its original position? If not, there is no way that new pads would fit without rubbing. I am not trying to offend or start anything by asking a stupid question, I was just curious.

03-23-2002, 09:29 PM
yep

kaneman23
03-24-2002, 10:38 AM
Yes I compressed the piston as far as it would go. The problem is that the newer pads are too thick. I rode it last night and it seems to be fine now. I did manage to break that stupid *** parking brake thing in the rear though. My rear couldn't move because of that stupid *** thing and when I went to adjust the bolt it broke, so I am going to order the block off kit tomorrow. Thanks, for the help fellas. And yes, bleeding those brakes took a long time.. Much longer then in a car... I need to go get that vac that all of you talk about for the next time I have to replace them... Thanks,
Justin

Leo
03-24-2002, 10:43 AM
you should not have to bleed the brakes just because you changed the pads..

the only time brakes need to be bled is when air is allowed into the system (say if you disconnect one of the hoses).. or if you want to flush the fluid..

Leo

kaneman23
03-24-2002, 08:20 PM
I was frustrated at the the allen bolts on the caliper and couldn't break them loose, so I removed the whole caliper assembly. It was easier to install the pads, but a PITA to bleed. Next time I wont remove the line from the calipers.... Justin.