PDA

View Full Version : Cannibal Maintenance

m250r
06-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Is maintaining a cannondale hard as some people say it is? What are the biggest problems that I would face with it?

06-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by m250r
Is maintaining a cannondale hard as some people say it is? What are the biggest problems that I would face with it?

Go to www.cannondaleriders.com and do some lookin around, you'll find a ton more info there than here...;)

bradrenea
06-04-2004, 04:57 PM
To change the oil you have to take the front plastic off and drain oil from four places. There are three oil filters to clean, one that's a real PITA because its on the back of the motor behind the plastic and frame. To change the spark plug you have to remove all plastic, the gas tank, and a frame brace. Lots of people say to change the oil every ride or two. They also say to recalibrate the Throttle every time you change the oil.
They are a lot of fun for a while, but it was not worth it to me. I just traded mine for a 400ex.

Florida400EX
06-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bradrenea
To change the oil you have to take the front plastic off and drain oil from four places. There are three oil filters to clean, one that's a real PITA because its on the back of the motor behind the plastic and frame. To change the spark plug you have to remove all plastic, the gas tank, and a frame brace. Lots of people say to change the oil every ride or two. They also say to recalibrate the Throttle every time you change the oil.
They are a lot of fun for a while, but it was not worth it to me. I just traded mine for a 400ex.

A little too cautious aren't we?

Bill Fuller
06-05-2004, 11:39 AM
I only had to drain the oil from 2 places on my Speed:confused: And I only had one filter to clean(replace).The filter in the back of the motor doesn't have to be cleaned very often(break in/once maybe twice a year).I never had to remove the plastic to change oil either,are you sure you had a Cannondale?You have a seperate filter for the tranny oil,still don't have to remove plastic.Plugs are a pain to change except I never had to replace one.As far as recalibrating the throttle how hard is hooking up a computer cable to the bike?A Cannondale is no more maintanance than todays new breed of 4 strokes(YFZ/R)I wish I had the EFI right now on my YFZ.You only need to change the oil when it 'needs" it changed different oils break down quicker than others.

m250r
06-05-2004, 11:43 AM
if i put a twist throttle on mine..would i still need to recallibrate it? How is that to do? Does anyone know where i can get a twist throttle? Thanks

Bill Fuller
06-05-2004, 11:48 AM
When you calibrate the throttle all you are doing is calibrating the fuel squirt and how much fuel and other internals.I don't think you would have to do any thing special to put on a twist.Check out WWW.Cannondalriders.com or WWW.Cannondaler.com for some better info.

Bill Fuller
06-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I also suggest sending a PM to Jeff@Quadshop with your specific questions.He was always a life saver for me and patiently answered many of my stupid questions:devil: Plus he owns and maintains and wins on a brand new ATK(formerly Cannondale).He was an outhorized Cannondale dealer at one time.Very good guy!!

bradrenea
06-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
I only had to drain the oil from 2 places on my Speed:confused: And I only had one filter to clean(replace).The filter in the back of the motor doesn't have to be cleaned very often(break in/once maybe twice a year).I never had to remove the plastic to change oil either,are you sure you had a Cannondale?You have a seperate filter for the tranny oil,still don't have to remove plastic.Plugs are a pain to change except I never had to replace one.As far as recalibrating the throttle how hard is hooking up a computer cable to the bike?A Cannondale is no more maintanance than todays new breed of 4 strokes(YFZ/R)I wish I had the EFI right now on my YFZ.You only need to change the oil when it 'needs" it changed different oils break down quicker than others.

I had to drain the oil from both frame spars (2 locations) and the engine oil drain and the transmission oil drain. That is four places. I guess you dont have to drain it from all four places but you wont get all the old oil out. I had to remove the front plastic to put the oil in. I had Fulbore plastic though. I guess with stock plastic you might just have to take off the headlight cover. As for filters, there is the transmission filter that is behind the drain bolt, and the engine oil filter on the left side of the engine.(thats two) And no, you dont have to clean the third one on the back of the motor every oil change. I did not have the computer software to recal the throttle. Like I said, it was more than I was willing to do, but a lot of people have no problem with it.