PDA

View Full Version : change packing in sparks pipe

cals400ex
06-04-2004, 11:17 AM
i am in the process of changing packing in my x-6. i am not sure what size drill bit to use to drill out the rivots. i used a small one and nothing seemed to happen. any suggestions?

cals400ex
06-04-2004, 12:42 PM
i managed to get the rivots out. now of course i can't get the end cap to come off. i assume it should pull off after you remove the 3 rivots?

starky
06-04-2004, 08:36 PM
you shouyld have just taken it apart from the other end, The header side has allen heads.. Now you will just have to pull hard, or try taking the other end off also.

Martin Blair
06-04-2004, 11:38 PM
yes you should ahve taking it off from other end

But make sure little piece of the riviots are still sticking up. Get a screw driver and use it to make sure wholes are clear.

cals400ex
06-05-2004, 12:51 AM
actually the other end of the silencer i had sparks seal. i don't know what they put on it but it is sealed with some white stuff. i ended up getting it off. i am shipping the pipe out to get coated. i am interested to see if i notice the bike run any different after this. this is a stainless steel pipe without a coating and retaining the heat is pretty important. i will post the results if i notice a difference. thanks for the suggestions.

Cripple
06-05-2004, 01:42 AM
how often should i replace my packing?

cals400ex
06-05-2004, 07:33 AM
many of times they say twice a year or so. however, it will depend on how often you ride. also, the pipe should start to get loud when it is going bad. i have had my pipe for a year and my packing looked new. only on the front and back edges it was black. no where else. by how mine looked, i know i would be able to get about 5 more years out of it. that doesn't seem right to me but maybe i just don't ride as often as others. i would say i am on my bike once a week on average.