PDA

View Full Version : Removing a-arms??

tkwarrior
06-04-2004, 07:30 AM
Yesterday I jacked up the bike to take the left upper a-arm off the bike so I can replace. I got everything unbolted from the frame and then I took the cotter pin and bolt off the a-arm.

How the HECK does the a-arm come off the knuckle?? Please tell me it is something obvious that I'm missing here.

stealth400ex
06-04-2004, 07:54 AM
when i did mine i had to tap the a arm with a hammer. hope this helps

kgbg
06-04-2004, 10:21 AM
put the nut on upside down, make sure the threads are covered, smack it with a brass drift. It will come loose. you might have to get a bigger hammer.

MX#9
06-04-2004, 12:15 PM
If you tap the spindle in the area of the ball joint,not the arm itself,but the spindle,the a-arm/ball joint will pop right out. If you don't believe me,ask any seasoned auto mechanic to show you.

tkwarrior
06-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MX#9
If you tap the spindle in the area of the ball joint,not the arm itself,but the spindle,the a-arm/ball joint will pop right out. If you don't believe me,ask any seasoned auto mechanic to show you.

I will try this when I get home. I knew it was probably something simple.

FatBoy Racing
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Beat up your bike on the trails, not in the garage! A couple years ago, Rico clued me in to a little trick that works like this;

Break the upper and lower nuts loose, then mix/match some large sockets to fill the gap between the two nuts. Use a socket that fits over the bolt threads, but not over the nut. Then use an open-end wrench to loosen the top or bottom nut. This will force top against bottom (or vice versa) until the ball joint pops free. Once that one is 'popped', re-tighten it finger tight, and work the other one the same way.

It may take a few minutes to find the right combo of sockets (or similar spacers) to do it this way, but I always prefer to avoid swinging a hammer at my mega-$$ toys.

Have fun!

kgbg
06-04-2004, 06:58 PM
to take the left upper a-arm off the bike so I can replace.
I agree with Fat Boy, but usually I remove broken things with hammers.;)

tkwarrior
06-05-2004, 08:30 PM
I finally got it tonight. All I had to do was put hair around the hole and hit it just right ;)

http://www.kg4vpv.com/~ncliborne/450R22.jpg

adambomb
06-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Why don't you use a pickle fork? They are made especially for ball joint removal. Just be careful and don't tear the rubber boots.

rowlrag
06-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by MX#9
What he said;)