PDA

View Full Version : Bikes vs quads for racing

toby400ex
06-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Is racing a bike really that much cheaper. While my neighbors go riding almost every weekend and race every once in a while, they barely ever have to fix anything on their bikes. Theyre all yamaha yzf'z and a single wr. Almost every race and every ride there is some little thing to fix when I get back, which costs me money. Ive been thinking about bikes and how theyre more common, and every mx park seems more friendly too them. Would the change from a quad be very hard and less expensive for xc racing?

Cole Trane
06-04-2004, 03:59 AM
Bikes are just cheaper cause you don't have to do anything to them to race them. Harder to ride if you ask me, but like I said, less expensive.

P.S. Like your avatar

TCracin440ex
06-04-2004, 11:14 AM
my insite on bikes...you can go to the dealer today and buy 1...and tomorrow take it to the mx track and race it bone stock...a quad...it can be done...but rarely....dirt bikes are cheaper to fix and maintain because for
1...they only need 1 aftermarket shock...while quads need 3
2 dont need any a-arms, axle etc
3 dont need nerfs
4 i know the crf 450 and yzf 450's stock exhaust are just about as loud as my aftermarket T-4

so in a sence...ridding a dirt bike is cheaper and easier...

diesel-mech
06-04-2004, 12:52 PM
its quite a chang going from a quad to a bike.

suspension on a bike (front and rear) can be set up for about $500.00, You still need engine work done which it about the same price as a quad as with the pipe. Tires are so much cheaper. All in all bikes are cheaper to make race ready. If you flip a bike you don't cause nearly as much damage as flipping a quad.

Syrus
06-04-2004, 02:22 PM
They arnt that much cheaper, depends on what u wanna do with them, but if your buying 2-stroke's tp race you will be rebuilding them a lot, and dumping some cash into the engine as much as you would on ur quad if not more. Had over 70 dirtbikes now (yes thats right 70) and i dont find it cheaper, only easier to maintain because there are built so simple. :D But Dirtbikes rock, but i love my quads to !

diesel-mech
06-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
They arnt that much cheaper, depends on what u wanna do with them, but if your buying 2-stroke's tp race you will be rebuilding them a lot, and dumping some cash into the engine as much as you would on ur quad if not more. Had over 70 dirtbikes now (yes thats right 70) and i dont find it cheaper, only easier to maintain because there are built so simple. :D But Dirtbikes rock, but i love my quads to !

I guess if you get into the ti sub-frames and all that stuff you can get alot of cash rapped up in one but personally I have as much money in my quad right now as I did in my bike. My bike is an awsome racing beast( I call it the "ZUKIMONSTER") but my quad on the other hand has a long way to go before it is ready for any action. Like I said thats a single case sinario

250EXpwns
06-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Four stroke dirt bikes are waaaaaay cheaper to race than 2 stroke dirt bikes or any ATVs. It's just it takes a lot more practice and talent to master a dirt bike than it does an ATV. I only have a 400ex right now but I'm getting a thumper bike to go along with it soon. I love riding dirt bikes it's awesome!

06-04-2004, 02:50 PM
my friend races dirt bikes they have a 250f and a cr450 and all they have is pipes and they rip they are barley fixing them they podium almost every race and the only after market thing is a pipe o and they also have a totaly trick suzuki 80 i thinks its a suzuki

toby400ex
06-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Would my 2000 400 with stock shocks and no steering stabilizer be an even trade for a pretty much stock 2000 yz426. The ex is a 11:1 426 with a slip on and bars after i take the shocks and put stockers back on.
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/colby400ex/new+front+angle+view.jpg

FTR250Rnif
06-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Thats a sick EX! you wanna trade for my yz 125??:D

diesel-mech
06-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Would my 2000 400 with stock shocks and no steering stabilizer be an even trade for a pretty much stock 2000 yz426. The ex is a 11:1 426 with a slip on and bars after i take the shocks and put stockers back on.
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/colby400ex/new+front+angle+view.jpg

I'll trade you 2- dirtbikes for it, 125 and a250

toby400ex
06-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
I'll trade you 2- dirtbikes for it, 125 and a250 What kind?

diesel-mech
06-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
What kind?

Your not going to be interested, 1991 kx125 fresh overhaul still in the brake in period(its clean though) and my old 93rm 250 sweet bike very good shape, major mods, insainly fast.
They are really nice bikes but they are out dated. If you are interested let me know. I'll through some cash in.

Jingle #11
06-04-2004, 09:53 PM
well a couple of weeks ago i went to an old beat up track with a couple of friends that rode bikes. I let one of them ride my quad and he said i could ride his 125 if i wanted so i jumped on. After the cussing of the kickstart i got out on the track. I was amazed at the suspension and how smooth the ride is over the rough stuff. Needless to say i took a couple laps and fell in love with it. Now im gonna have to get one. So yeh they are better in a few aspects but some like ballence and cornering the quad rules in.

AC 400 ex 02
06-04-2004, 10:01 PM
dirtbikes seem to be the way, 4 strokes that is, im 16 and i work at a kawasaki dealer, not a bit fan of the bikes but i rode one of the 250 4 strokes and those things move for a 250, tons of grunt, suspension is sweet stock, its rediculous i spend a couple grand on my quad and its out dated and slow, i may soon make a change to dirtbikes, and just because they are fun, can go anywhere, woods, mx and not have 2 worry about being to wide, or 2 low

SSracingNY
06-05-2004, 08:56 AM
bikes are def. cheaper. it may not look like the bikers fix their stuff and just ride it. but we do fix stuff. we are always tuning something. the 1st thing a biker puts on their bike is a pipe/silencer, bars,reeds. you dont really need an aftermarket suspension. just get them revalved. but yea they are cheaper to run, plus they are easier to work on i think. and theres no pulling when ya do a wheelie:blah:

toby400ex
06-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by SSracingNY
bikes are def. cheaper. it may not look like the bikers fix their stuff and just ride it. but we do fix stuff. we are always tuning something. the 1st thing a biker puts on their bike is a pipe/silencer, bars,reeds. you dont really need an aftermarket suspension. just get them revalved. but yea they are cheaper to run, plus they are easier to work on i think. and theres no pulling when ya do a wheelie:blah: Some people may do alot to their bikes, but my neighbors change their oil a couple times a year and the bikes hardly ever need any new parts.

Jingle #11
06-05-2004, 11:20 AM
i agree with toby. everyone that i know that has a bike maybe the biggest problem they have is breaking levers and thats not a big deal.

Bretmd94
06-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I have lots of friends that ride dirt bikes and i have a KX125. Dirt bikes are so much cheaper. You can easily race them completely stock. With quads I jsut get beat stock. Even if im on a 450r, I couldnt compete against Nausty's 360R with shocks, a-arms etc. Same against some modded yzf450s in the valley. \

But my friend that races got a new yz250f and went out and won in the intermediate class overall.

Dirt bikes are a lot easier to ride at a track in my opinion also. They have a ton more travel, way more rotating mass in the air, so correcting while up in the air is simple. As opposed to my 450r which doesnt move much at all in the air.

Also whoops suck on quads. I can fly over the same ones easily on a dirt bike.

BUT... I like my quad way more, and it is way more impressive to be hitting the huge jumps at the track on a quad than a dirt bike.

ny300exrider
06-05-2004, 02:52 PM
this thread is actually making me think about a bike too. my main sport i do is bmx biking and a few of my dirtbiking freinds say that having skills on a bike can help alittle on a dirtbike. i love my quad and im only 14 so i was thinking maybe when i turn 16 and i grow alittle more i could buy a used crf 230 or something like that. it would be nice to save money because id be interested in saving for a truck too. my local track is small so the dirtbikes have an advantage with the tight turns and the trails section is too tight for my quad as well. ill see what happens but its definitly something to think about