PDA

View Full Version : how to decompress caliper piston?

honda416exman
03-23-2002, 01:09 PM
well i had my caliper off and i forgot it was off when i went to ride and now the brake shoes are closed together. how do u open them?

Lil90man!!
03-23-2002, 05:28 PM
well i know when you change brake pads you have to take the pads off and use a screwdriver or somthing and put it against it and push really hard to get it to go back so the new pads will go on but from what u said i am assumin that u hit the breaks and the closed while off but i think it still should work just take off the pads put something aginst the piston or whateva u wanna call it and push it back it

Red Rooster
03-23-2002, 06:29 PM
I had this happen on a quad once and i used a huge channel locks. On the rear calipher I had to actually open the bleeder nut and let fluid out while pressing the piston(pads)

VegasEx'r
03-23-2002, 10:37 PM
Go buy a c-clamp at Home Depot (I have a 3" that I use for my cars too, the Honda calipers are small enough that a 2" might work). Before you ramove the old pads, put one end of the c-clamp on the back of the pad, & the other end on the caliper & tist it in. It will push the piston back to its original position with no problem. If you remove the mnaster cylinder cover before pushing the poston back, you will fill up the resivoiur w/ existing brake fluid, and probably won't have to bleed the brakes when you finish. Hope these directions make sense.

Moto92
03-24-2002, 12:51 AM
When I did the blockoff plate and new pads on mine I just used my thumbs and pushed the piston all the way back in, its not hard like a cars would be.