PDA

View Full Version : bottoming out

throwinitup
06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
well i have a stocker 400ex i'm 6'2" 220lbs when hitting big jumps...like the 70 foot table at the local practice track, i bottom out, badly, to the point where i rebound back into the air....and on other jumps that are somwhat big i bottom out also...how can i adjust my shocks i bought my bike used from a shop so no manual...so can yall help me out here....i got my first race on sat. and id like to have some stiffer suspension so i can nail the throttle when i land instead of bouncing off my bike and busting my gonads and what not..lol thanks fellas

Cole Trane
06-04-2004, 04:08 AM
You can check your preload. Sag should be around 2 7/8 inches. You could also set your compression harder. I would save up and get new suspension. I know it's expensive, but that's the only way your gonna be able to go big without bottoming out.

cdalejef
06-04-2004, 07:15 AM
its gonna be very hard to get stock shocks not to bottom with your size. All you can do with the fronts is turn the preload adjuster to the 5th position. On the back you can dial in some more preload, slow the compression and rebound down. That will help some.

throwinitup
06-04-2004, 07:41 AM
thanks guys, im going out to clean the bike now, ill make all the adjustments and see how it works out tomarrow at Malvern.....

06-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Expect to blow out your front shocks before July 4th...:o

Start saving money for new shocks.. That is the ONLY fix to you problem dude..:cool:

toby400ex
06-04-2004, 11:44 AM
The shocks might not even be in good working shape by now, since theyre 3 years old. Get some aftermarket front shocks and have the rear rebuilt.

TC426EX
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Matt, Ill be out there at malvern tomorrow for your race.... I was gonna enter too but obviously as you know, my bike is not gonna be in working condition until next weekend IF Im lucky!! Like everyone said, not much someone your size can do with stock suspension...I bottomed mine out horribly before getting my PEP's. I would try to dig up some money and at least get a set of works man... Hit up ebay and look for elka, pep, axis, tcs, works, all that, there are usually great deals that can save you alot of loot. Good luck at your first race!! Look into some aftermarket shocks of some kind or youre gonna hate your life after a while riding tracks with those man, trust me!!