PDA

View Full Version : FYI advantages of each pipe

RideRed04
07-26-2001, 10:07 PM
Could people that own different brand pipes please post where they feel the gains from their pipes, what they had to do to make it run just right, and why they chose to buy it. I currently run stock and chose it becuase it came with the quad. I have another stock scilencer that I am in the process of welding back together after some sugery (the metal is very thin! Hard to weld), and will post a full summary of it when I am done.

07-26-2001, 10:29 PM
I've got a Yoshimura slip on. I felt the gains from bottom to top. Nice gains but I'm not too happy with the noise. I think its pretty loud compared to stock.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I bought mine cuz nobody I knew had one and I thought I'd be different and the guy at Marcum's ATV said it was the $hit, so I figured I try it out. No problems getting things tweaked. Running lidless pingry aluminum airbox, ceramic coated stock head pipe, rejetted. I tried the rev box, but sent it back, I couldn't tell a difference.

07-26-2001, 11:34 PM
The stock one is quiet... :)

crday98
07-26-2001, 11:52 PM
i have the fmf power core IV-2 on mine.i didn't notice much gain in power but a massive gain in noise.the reason i bought it was because their website claimed it gave a nice power increase while being not much louder than stock.(NOT)this pipe was to be quieter than the origional power core but they sound the same.now they have the power core IV-Q,the Q meaning quiet,but i haven't had the chance to hear one.i'm disappointed in fmf,i feel i wasted $242 + shipping.i should have just went with white bros.

skemp
07-26-2001, 11:55 PM
I have a White Brother's pipe, and I didn't buy it because Dirt Wheels told me to, but because it had some pretty impressive features and evidence to back up everything I had heard about it. It is a bit loud, but I have gotten used to it for the most part, and the gains it gives are impressive. I am very happy with the extra power it dishes out. One thing I noticed was that I can stay in higher gears longer instead of down shifting when I lose power. When I hit the throttle, the power is right there. For $220, it was worth it for damn sure. Plus, the thing looks good too. If I have left anything out, you can see more (http://400ex0.tripod.com) at my site under the tech tips page.

Every pipe will yield its own strengths and weaknesses, and to every person, each one will have different significance according to the tastes of the individual, but I think this pipe would appeal to most riders as it produces good power, and is relatively quiet compared to other performance exhaust systems.

MOFO
07-27-2001, 05:57 AM
Well I feel that my FMF Powercore IV made a nice difference in power. Mostly at the bottom end, but with a nice increase in mid too. I find it impossible that people have this pipe and dont notice a gain. I've actually switched back to my stock pipe to see what the difference was. I did a test.....

There was a nice hill climb/power line with about 3-4 nice jumps while going up. With my FMF I could pull a nice WOT 2 gear run....with my stock pipe....not even close...I would have to drop her down into 1st because she bogged WAY down....

thats just my real world power test :)

FMF passed.

Eric

honda4life
07-27-2001, 06:41 AM
I have a Curtis Sparks X-6. I checked out the ATV Sport with the test of the 18 pipes for the EX, it came down to the Sparks or White Bros., I decided to be different and get the Sparks. I noticed gains all the way through. It is very loud, but it really doesn't bother me. I love the pipe.

Chef
07-27-2001, 10:56 AM
i had a WB slip on at first and what i noticed first off with just the stock air filter and jetting would that it revs quicker. After I got it rejetted and put on a k&n filter, it was a huge difference. i could then wheelie from 2nd to 5th in one wheelie, pull it up in 4th and keep it up, and as you can tell, there was a major difference in power. I have this because my friend can get everything at dealer price from his aunt and it was only $180. So my mom bought it for my birthday and i put it on the first time i took my 400 to the dunes. now i have the 440 and I'm waiting on my s-bend. :D

kabd69667
07-27-2001, 11:22 AM
honda4life-is ur engine bored? bcuz if it isn't or ur not planning on it, they say that u get more power from the x-4 if u have a stock to midly modified engine

inacoma91
07-27-2001, 02:38 PM
I chose the Pro Circut T-4. I think its a great slip on. I could tell a big difference when i installed it on and the K&N jet kit. I did grind out the welds on my stock header also though. I think this slip on has great mid range. Thats where i felt most of my gains. I only paid $190 for it and $44 for the jet kit. It was well worth the money. I would definitly recommend this slip on to anybody.

Andrew
2000 400EX
Moose Handlebars
CEET seat cover
Shaved fenders
Pro Circut T-4
K&N jet kit
14T drive sprocket

The400exExorcist
07-27-2001, 05:38 PM
I have a White Brothers Pipe(E-series) It is a great Pipe! A little on the loud side. That is probably because I have 30 discs on mine.:) Yeah the WB is worth the money by far!

400exBro
07-27-2001, 07:53 PM
30 disc!!! i though the max you could have on there was 28!!
Do you have any problems when you wheelie that it digs into the ground???
Thanks

Originally posted by The400exExorcist
I have a White Brothers Pipe(E-series) It is a great Pipe! A little on the loud side. That is probably because I have 30 discs on mine.:) Yeah the WB is worth the money by far!

The400exExorcist
07-28-2001, 01:47 PM
yeah the 30 just barely fits on there. I don't hit the ground to often so i havent tested it out yet. :)

skull
07-29-2001, 04:26 AM
:D
I have a pro circuit T4 on my 300ex.
I added the k&n stage 2 jet kit and an outerwears air box lid.
I really like the pipe, sounds good not annoying. not too many people have one, so thats cool. seems louder in some areas. in the dunes it seems real loud, in the woods it seem a lot quieter.
just had a decible check done and it came out to 97db. the guy at the dnr booth told me if I re-packed it with some speggetti packing it should be quieter.

Leo
07-29-2001, 07:15 AM
How loud is your T-4 in comparison to some of the other aftermarket pipes? Are you running it with the spark arrestor?

I'm still on the fence about adding a silencer (noise is an issue around here).. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the T-4 or the Yoshi.. ?!?

Leo

Originally posted by inacoma91
I chose the Pro Circut T-4. I think its a great slip on. I could tell a big difference when i installed it on and the K&N jet kit. I did grind out the welds on my stock header also though. I think this slip on has great mid range. Thats where i felt most of my gains. I only paid $190 for it and $44 for the jet kit. It was well worth the money. I would definitly recommend this slip on to anybody.

Drtridr18
07-29-2001, 07:20 AM
What about the big gun pipe?

4punksdad
07-29-2001, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Leo
How loud is your T-4 in comparison to some of the other aftermarket pipes? Are you running it with the spark arrestor?

I'm still on the fence about adding a silencer (noise is an issue around here).. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the T-4 or the Yoshi.. ?!?

Leo

modify the stock pipe leo....better sound, not much louder than stock, noticable power gain and next to zero dollars invested! if noise is an issue, there are NO quiet aftermarket pipes. JMHO

inacoma91
07-29-2001, 07:49 PM
Leo

My T-4 is kinda loud. I do have the spark arrestor in it also. They do have a quiet core insert also that is like 25 or 30 dollars. So I might get that too. Other than that it is a great . I have heard a 300 EX with a White Bros and it was about the same if not maybe a little louder.

Andrew
2000 400EX
Shaved Fenders
Moose Handelbars
14T drive sprocket
K&N jet kit
Pro Circut T-4

honda4life
07-29-2001, 08:26 PM
Kabd69667-My 4oo is not bored. The guys at Sparks said that I would be better off with the X-6 versus the X-4 with what I have done. I did plan on a high comp. piston and a cam, but I am still debating on doing just that or boring it and a cam. Thanks for the info!

07-30-2001, 03:40 PM
i have the Pro-Meg complete system on my 400 and its alot louder than stock but i dont have the quiet core yet. im thinking about getting one. and from my personal experience all pipes i've heard have been considerably louder than stock. but i can tell u that my pro-meg is louder than a fmf powercore. when i put the pipe on i installed a k&n air filter with outerwares and stage 2 jet kit. now the 400 feels like a completely new machine. much more power from bottom to top. the pro-meg is a mid to upper range pipe which they claim makes up from 4-7 hp. but with the k&n and the stage 2 jetkit really helps out the bottom end as well. i've noticed that my 400 will stand up in 3rd and 4th alot faster now than before. and now while in 1st gear it takes it longer to stand up because i have found myself spinning twice as much. which is actually alot of fun. almost reminds u of a banshee. well ok it dont spin that much but it spins alot more than it did b4 on dry ground. so i guess the moral of the story is i can't really think of any complaints with my pro-meg but i would say to wait and put a pipe air filter and rejet it all at one time because not only will u notice more power but that way u only have to rejet once.

inacoma91
07-30-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 3punksdad

modify the stock pipe leo....better sound, not much louder than stock, noticable power gain and next to zero dollars invested! if noise is an issue, there are NO quiet aftermarket pipes. JMHO

I do agree with 3punksdad here...........If noise is an issue than the stock silencer with the internal mods would be the best way to go. I was planning on doing that but never got around to doing it....................

Andrew 2000 400EX
Shaved Fenders
Moose bars
14T drive sprocket
Ceet seat cover
Pro Circut T-4
K&N jet kit

07-31-2001, 07:34 AM
I run a FMF powerbomb header and powercore IV/2 pipe...if ya add these mods and get a good filter and dynojet kit your gonna get a nice power gain...if you don't then you don't know what your doing.or ya put the pipe on backwards,,,LOL. personally I wouldn't put an aftermarket pipe on and not change the filter or mainly not put a dynojet kit on..I have a power boost from top to bottom with this setup,,,and have no problem winning races and getting good holeshots...Just putting a slipon pipe and that's it will not do you much justice,,,if your letting more exhaust out then ya need to let more air/gas in,,,,overall I love the pipe setup I have,,kinda quiet when idling and not puttin the hammer down,,but if ya cracker open,,,it gets LOUD....only other pipe I'd put on my bike is a BILL's thunder,,,but there are a lot of good pipes out there...Rico

krazykurtk
08-01-2001, 06:45 AM
The March 2001 Dirt Wheels did a pipe comparison that I found to be helpful. I beleive there were also sound levels measured on each pipe. To conclude...The WB E-series had the best over all performance (of the 10 or so they tested)...and it wasn't the most expensive pipe either!

rhandw69
08-01-2001, 01:33 PM
I put on a WB E series Slip on.
I first test rode it in the Dunes.
I immediately noticed a nice gain from the bottom to the Mid.
But,,,
What i did notice is that my top end dropped a bit. I really have to down shift alot when im in top gear.
But overall im still happy with it. I dont mind the sound, in fact i like the sound of any bike coming up out of a deep steep sand hill.
Peace
Rhan