PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shift Shaft

TC426EX
06-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Well, I was out at practice today on a real aggressive track here in OH and ended up BAILING HARD!!! I cleared a big uphil step up, ripped around a tight hairpin and then hit the ski jump on my way back down the hill. At the bottom of the ski jump is a single to tabletop. I was mashing on the shifter looking to upshift and clutch it into 4th and my shift shaft BROKE and the shifter fell completey off the bike. Too bad it did this right before the face of the jump so I hit it in too low a gear over revving in 3rd. As a result, I didnt carry enough speed and bailed on the landing bending my new Arens stem as well.....

Basically, I just would like to know if I have to split my cases to fix the shaft or if there is another way to fix it. Is that thing weldable, or is it hardened steel or something. If I have to split the cases, forget it, I am thinking about just buying a cheap stock shifter and having a small extension and the shifter welded on to the remaining portion of the shaft until the end of the season.. As for the stem, Im just gonna get like 4 stock ones off ebay or something and have them on hand at all times. I didnt see any difference with the arens. I mean, I know it's not indestructible and all, but the damn thing was bent just almost as bad as a stock one!! The trusty renthal CR bend bars are still mint though which is a plus.... Im really bummin, screwed up my knee yet again and got all scraped up on the elbows and what not. At least nothings broken Ill be back in the hunt as soon as my bike is ready again. Please give me some advice on what to do about that shift shaft!! Anyone got one for sale??????

camsdad
06-03-2004, 09:26 PM
cases must be split..you can weld it though......

throwinitup
06-03-2004, 10:03 PM
dude...i was runnin with you today im the dude with the yellow 400 who towed you...matt....anyways i think your name was paul....good luck with that bro keep in touch, we'll ride down there again!

TC426EX
06-04-2004, 04:55 AM
yeah, matt, that was me for sure! Thanks for towing me I really appreciate it man, otherwise I would have had to push it from there and I couldnt find neutral without a shifter.... Anyone else got an opinion?????

06-04-2004, 06:44 AM
YOu got one hell of a job ahead of ya, I can tell ya that...:(

the cases will need to be split...

throwinitup
06-04-2004, 06:59 AM
no problem at all man...remember me tellin you about my friend with a 440 having the nacs gfx kit and maier race plastics? heres a couple pics...

http://www.ohioquadracing.com/gallery/albums/2004 Races/Malvern MX Park - March 28, 2004/Picture-076.jpg

http://www.ohioquadracing.com/gallery/albums/2004 Races/Malvern MX Park - March 28, 2004/Picture-061.jpg

http://www.ohioquadracing.com/gallery/albums/2004 Races/Malvern MX Park - March 28, 2004/Picture-060.jpg

R3Concepts
06-04-2004, 09:35 AM
Damn, is that a wave rotor?

throwinitup
06-04-2004, 10:08 AM
lmao....wow..i just took a closer look at that...now i can understand scoping out the competition in the pits....but on the track?? haha...

TC426EX
06-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Well, the motor is out, and Im about to start tearing it apart AGAIN.... I'm not paying 4-500 bucks in labor PLUS parts to fix this thing so Im just gonna get the shaft, seals, gaskets, blah blah blah, brew up a couple pots of coffee, grab the old clymers manual and my buddy who builds drag bikes and do it myself....
I also have to give my steering stem to my buddy who is a mechanic so he can straighten it in the muffler bender for me. Im NEVER buying an aftermarket stem again, total WASTE of money!! Then after both of those jobs I gotta dick with the electrical system and find out why it wont start without push starting it now. Could it be the tether hook up? Battery? Fun, Fun, Fun!!! I have a feeling splitting these cases is gonna give me a splitting headache......

06-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Then after both of those jobs I gotta dick with the electrical system and find out why it wont start without push starting it now. Could it be the tether hook up? Battery? Fun, Fun, Fun!!! I have a feeling splitting these cases is gonna give me a splitting headache......

Put the stock CDI box back on and see if that works..;)

2003400exmnymds
06-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I have split my case about three times, 2 for just stupidity, anyay, its not all that bad I replaced my whole tranny, every gear, put it back together and my gasket wasnt right on the crankcase breather and it was spitting oil out of it, I wrote on the forum and got nothing. Not anyones fault but mine, just looking for a little help, anyway after no help, I went ahead and split the case once again and it was the gaske, it had fallen and the crankcase breather was straight oil with no air. I put it all back together and when you drop the l/h crankcase onto the right you must ensure the shifter reset spring is right on the money, its tough but do-able. Guess I am just letting you know my turmoil. Good luck

04'400ex'er
06-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Dude, If I were you,I would be weldin' my *** off. It will be easier with the motor out. Try a Tig welder with gas, If not, Grab a torch and a rod...
Anything but Splitting the cases...:rolleyes:

R3Concepts
06-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Just my .02 coming from a kid that owns a fab shop, you get what you pay for, you rig it, its going to break again. Do it right the first time then dont worry about it breaking every time you ride it.

TC426EX
06-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, everything is apart and its going good (so far). The steering stem has been straightened in a hydraulic press to 1/10,000 of an inch. I also found out what my electrical (starting) problem was. Aparently, the stupid side battery mount bit me in the *** again. The top bolt came loose out of the L-bracket that holds the battery and it ripped my ground wire off the frame. A new wire, and a little solder later and im back in business. Looks like after I recover from this setback, its time for an aluminum airbox that mounts the battery inside... Thursday all the rest of my gaskets for the top end will be here and also my new rings, so Ill be able to get it back together hopefully by the weekend and not miss a race... Just got the cylinder honed out and ready to go.... Anyone else have any advice for me on things to pay attention to when re-assembling??? Things to loctite, or check twice??

UglyMotha™
06-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Dude, If I were you,I would be weldin' my *** off. It will be easier with the motor out. Try a Tig welder with gas, If not, Grab a torch and a rod...
Anything but Splitting the cases...:rolleyes:

not the brightest thing to do, specially since theres a seal right there on the shaft so welding on that shaft will roast it, then you won't be able to keep oil in the crankcase i have seen people weld them but they take them completely out of the motor, might as well just buy a new one

the best thing would be just to do it the right way the first time around http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

Chefbigdaddy
06-08-2004, 08:21 AM
If you get an aluminum airbox, make sure you ground your battery to the frame and not just the airbox as the instrutions will most likely say. Aluminum makes for a real sh___ty ground and your starting problems will drive you nuts! Otherwise they work great and look a whole lot better as well. Good luck with the engine.

UglyMotha™
06-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Chefbigdaddy
If you get an aluminum airbox, make sure you ground your battery to the frame and not just the airbox as the instrutions will most likely say. Aluminum makes for a real sh___ty ground and your starting problems will drive you nuts! Otherwise they work great and look a whole lot better as well. Good luck with the engine.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif good deal

on mine, i replaced one the bolts for the seat latch with a longer one and then put my ground underneath the subframe on the other side and fastened it down with a nut