PDA

View Full Version : Cracked oiltank + JB weld

DangerousDean
06-03-2004, 03:53 PM
My buddy who hasa 400ex cracked his oil tank, on the bottem where the drain bolt is, almost all the way around, no one in town will weld it for him because they say its to thin and hard to do.

So he's going to buy a new tank soon, but can he just use jb weld so he can ride for the weekend?
Has anyone done this, or know if it will hold?

ewalker302
06-03-2004, 04:45 PM
When I got my 400, the threaded part on the bottom of the oil tank was cracked/broken completley. Someone had overtightened the bolt & broke it loose.

I wouldnt trust JB weld there----I mean if it comes loose all the oil could possibly go right to the ground without you knowing.

Just take it to a radiator shop they are used to working w/thin stuff & they can weld it back up, no problem. After getting it welded, the only thing I had to do was clean up the weld some with a dremel, and cut a little out of the rubber bushing that the tank sits in on the bottom to account for the weld.

:bandit:

jjgixxer
06-03-2004, 05:10 PM
mine on my raptor actually cracked when i was out on the trail i was really far from home and this was the 1 day we where there so i took it off draned all the oil then covered it in jbweld got as much as i could into the crack let it set for about an hour put oil back into it was good as new rode for 3 more days like that prolly would of lasted a long time but i wanted to fix it the right way so i cleaned it off when i got back and a friend welds thin aluminum all the time soo i had him do it painted it never know it had a crack there soo i hope this helps

Xowner
06-03-2004, 05:57 PM
i had my welded and its works

westcoastmxer
06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
naw get it welded by a proffesional..i jb welded my 300's case were it cracked and it held pritty good 4 about 3days but then after a week it was leakin j/as bad as it ever did!

06-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by westcoastmxer
naw get it welded by a proffesional..i jb welded my 300's case were it cracked and it held pritty good 4 about 3days but then after a week it was leakin j/as bad as it ever did!

hmm...did you do it right?? cuz it says its good for that kinda stuff on the package..:o

Flo Bee
06-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by jjgixxer
mine on my raptor actually cracked when i was out on the trail i was really far from home and this was the 1 day we where there so i took it off draned all the oil then covered it in jbweld got as much as i could into the crack let it set for about an hour put oil back into it was good as new rode for 3 more days like that prolly would of lasted a long time but i wanted to fix it the right way so i cleaned it off when i got back and a friend welds thin aluminum all the time soo i had him do it painted it never know it had a crack there soo i hope this helps

Dude, that's one heck of a run-on sentence. :eek2: :blah:

CEET400ex
06-04-2004, 08:14 AM
get it welded. same thing happened to mine except the whole piece snapped off.got it welded by a good welder good w/ aluminum. had to trim the rubber grommet some to account for the weld but its fine now.welding it is the best bet

DangerousDean
06-04-2004, 03:39 PM
any one have pictures of a welded oiltank ?