View Full Version : Banshee reliability

go_chrisg
06-03-2004, 03:53 PM
I was wondering how often do banshees have to be rebuilt (top end)?do they last twice a long as a 250r?

310Rduner
06-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Banshee's aren't an unreliable bike. As much as people joke about them, they are a very good bike. If you want to buy a banshee, go buy one. It won't break on you as you leave the dealership lol. The only thing that sucks with banshee is jetting two carbs, that sucks hard lol. It's more expensive having to buy 2 of everything, but can be worth it if that's the kind of 2 stroke you want. I don't own a banshee, but half the guys in my riding group do, and they don't break down very often.. just jetting related things. I think the worst thing about the banshee is the lack of low end power. On my 250R it is ported for mid-top and built mid-top soley, but it has great low end power still; don't have to revv it to the moon to make power. Also the handling of the banshee is non too great compared to my R, or the other bikes but it is a great dune bike, and great for fire-road type trails.

go_chrisg
06-03-2004, 04:23 PM
310Rduner, i hear that alot of ppl who complain that their top end blows too early on a 2-stroke is most likely it was running it too lean.So is jetting alot more disastreous when its too lean on a 2 stroke more that a 4 stroke

LTandRaptorider
06-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by go_chrisg
310Rduner, i hear that alot of ppl who complain that their top end blows too early on a 2-stroke is most likely it was running it too lean.So is jetting alot more disastreous when its too lean on a 2 stroke more that a 4 stroke

Yes. A 2-stroke gets it's lubrication, and cooling from the gas going in to the cylinder. lean=hot. ;)

Atreyu
06-03-2004, 05:10 PM
Depends on how you take care of it. Do all the maintainance and it will be just as reliable as the next.

FTR250Rnif
06-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I knew someone who owned a sick Banshee and I dont think he ever had a problem with it:)

06-03-2004, 05:37 PM
my friend has one thats piped tires reeds nerfs and bars and hes never had a problem with it because he takes care of it

Mikeado
06-03-2004, 06:12 PM
I have a friend who his dad has a sick banshee all toomeyied out and jetted out and everything this thing will stand a wheelie in 6th...awesome and they just bought another one.....and going to do practially the same with it all but they haven't had many problems with them.....they take really good care of them tho....when she gets hot they pull off and let her cool down....the only problems they had were minor and only costed a couple bucks but the main reason ppl have trouble with banshees is because they think they can jump on them ride all day wide open put it away and do it again tomarrow.....NOT AT ALL...some tlc she will last forever!!!:devil: they do haul balls tho when modded

markeg192
06-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Banshees are very reliable but don't handle the best in the tight stuff. But there is nothing that can match them in power.

xr50layke
06-03-2004, 08:28 PM
when you say handling is that the shocks, turning radius ?

bansheerider_13
06-03-2004, 09:56 PM
a banshee is one of the most reliable quads build AS LONG AS YOU DO SIMPLE MAINTAINANCE then it will last your for ever

and by the handling meaning the stock shocks sucks it and just take alot more energy to ride and wear you out alot fast turning sucks traction is very hard to get with them also

310Rduner
06-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
. But there is nothing that can match them in power.

AHEM! Except a big bore 250R is what you meant to say.;)

Flo Bee
06-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

My friend Greg used to race professionally. He had a 310R done by LRD (worked for them) and a chassis from LSR (worked for them, too). It made 52rwhp back in the day, I believe.

As for the Banshee, I've always got my eyes peeled for an '89+ Banshee that's totally thrashed. I really want to restore one. There's not much out there that'll make you smile quite like riding one.

go_chrisg
06-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Im lookin at a banshee that has works suspension.....so i should do fine in the suspension department:D

ledofthezep
06-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Depends on how you take care of it. Do all the maintainance and it will be just as reliable as the next.

Correctomundo.:D Mine's a '97 and I'm still running the stock topend...had the head milled soon after I got it & I'm still holding 150lbs compression on each cyl.;)

Toadz400
06-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Wow I never thought I'd see this on EXRiders, an entire thread about Banshees and NO ONE has bashed their reliability or handling!

This has made my day.

My Banshee has been very good to me besides my friend blowing it up (it was jetted too lean and he thought it'd be good to hold it WOT in first gear for a few minutes....).

Jetting 2 carbs does suck but it's definately worth it in the end when you mod it! And just adding pipes makes it so much better, I love the powerband, can't get enough of it! I'll be adding Pro Design or NOSS cool heads just to make sure they are being cooled properly.

As for not handling good in the woods, if you know how to properly ride your Banshee, it'll do just fine in the woods, it's just not as easy to do as say an EX or R.

markeg192
06-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 310Rduner

I would like to have said that but it's just not true. The only BBR I've seen that was even close is a 450 big bore done by ....KT I wanna say. It used a jug from a Polaris if I remember right but a properly built Banshee still had no problem with it.

Ryan
06-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by go_chrisg
Im lookin at a banshee that has works suspension.....so i should do fine in the suspension department:D

That will help, but the front end on a banshee is a little overweight. And the rear end slides to much. The first thing I would buy for it would be a -1 swingarm. But it really depends on the type of riding you want to do. If you ride only trails, than I wouldn't suggest a Banshee.

hosted
06-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Just like everyone else has been saying, they are very reliable as long as you take care of them. The amount of engine upgrades is almost endless too. :devil: