PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock carb

Martin Blair
06-02-2004, 10:43 PM
If anyone has a edelbrock carb and is having rpoblems with it let me know I just rebuilt the whole thing to fix the little bugs from the factory. If you ahve a problem let me know I can help my carb was a pos but its been doing great since I fixed it and I lthink once you get the bugs worked out it is just as good if not better then a FCR.

R3Concepts
06-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Or you could send it back to Edlebrock to Chris Silva and he would fix it for free.

fastexgirl4c
06-03-2004, 06:21 PM
i have alot of problems wit mine..it doesnt idle...it has both rich and lean conditions..and the spark plug changes from lean to rich everytime i put i check it..comes to find out all inside the carb everything was messed up and there was no float in it..and this was a brand new one..so we sent it back to elbrock..and it came back and still doesnt idle..and we had an atv expert come over..and he still coulnt get it..so elbrock is sendin us a new carb.. elbrock carbs are havin alot of prob lems l8tly

Martin Blair
06-03-2004, 11:17 PM
If you send it back to edelbrock it will mostlikly come back with some of the same problems. I can give you a bit of info on how to fix them.

My didnt idle either. The reason it doesnt idle could be that the set screw that secures the spool that raises the slider to the shaft that goes threw the carb is loose, take the top cover off the carb, hold the wheel and move the trottle you can tell if its sliping. Mine presestantly had this problem. First you need to take the set screw out with a 8 toraxs wrench, Then get some RED locktite and put it on there.and get it tight Along with doing this you need to make a throttle stop screw. Why this happens is because when you go to wot the slider hits the top of the carb and when you push on it hard it puts alot of stress on the set screw and it eventaully backs out. If you make a throttle stop screw it will prevent the slide from hitting the top of the carb. You can do this buy buying another screw like the idle one. And screwing it into the other part of the throtle wheel oppiste where the idle screw comes till it hits the exterior carb body where the slider is incased. when you open the throttle, make sure the screw hits before the slider hits the top of the carb, do this buy setting the top on with no gasket and setting the screw till the top just barliy moves up when at wot. With the addition of the gasket it with clear. You can set it up so that is opens all the way but still has about 1/16 of a inch clearence before it hits, also get 2 nuts to fit the threads to lock it in place. This elimanates 90 percent of the stress on the set screw.

I can send you pics of my setup if you want to try it.

fastexgirl4c
06-04-2004, 05:18 AM
ya, i would like to try it, but my dad already had the carb sent out so when the new one comes back and it doesnt idle ill try this, how did ya come up wit this?

Martin Blair
06-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Well I had the same presistent problem with it not idling so I emailed edelbrock and they basically told me to put locktite on it, and that they had a few problems with it but that a design change would cost to much money so to just locktite it and it should be good. So i tried locktite and it worked for a few rides but kept failing then I looked at the exploded view and messing with the carb figured out that the only stop is the slide hitting the top of the carb, and when you push on it and it hits the top it eventually lossins the set screw from all the stress, so to ilimanate it just make a throttle stop screw.

JDiablo
06-05-2004, 08:19 AM
looks like in going to be in some for problems when i get my carb from them....hey how long did you all wait for yours...i've been waiting almost two months already for it:eek2: but from when it did work good,what were to performance gains?

JDiablo
06-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
If you send it back to edelbrock it will mostlikly come back with some of the same problems. I can give you a bit of info on how to fix them.

My didnt idle either. The reason it doesnt idle could be that the set screw that secures the spool that raises the slider to the shaft that goes threw the carb is loose, take the top cover off the carb, hold the wheel and move the trottle you can tell if its sliping. Mine presestantly had this problem. First you need to take the set screw out with a 8 toraxs wrench, Then get some RED locktite and put it on there.and get it tight Along with doing this you need to make a throttle stop screw. Why this happens is because when you go to wot the slider hits the top of the carb and when you push on it hard it puts alot of stress on the set screw and it eventaully backs out. If you make a throttle stop screw it will prevent the slide from hitting the top of the carb. You can do this buy buying another screw like the idle one. And screwing it into the other part of the throtle wheel oppiste where the idle screw comes till it hits the exterior carb body where the slider is incased. when you open the throttle, make sure the screw hits before the slider hits the top of the carb, do this buy setting the top on with no gasket and setting the screw till the top just barliy moves up when at wot. With the addition of the gasket it with clear. You can set it up so that is opens all the way but still has about 1/16 of a inch clearence before it hits, also get 2 nuts to fit the threads to lock it in place. This elimanates 90 percent of the stress on the set screw.

I can send you pics of my setup if you want to try it.

from all of this is sounds i might have to try this,can you send some pix to devilsfan12@aol.com thanks bro

TM426
06-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I have not had any problems with mine but I would like to know-see what you are talking about so if I do encounter any problems in the future I know what to look for. If you have time it would be cool if you could e-mail them to me at tmhvac@hotmail.com.
When I first got the carb it had trouble idling out of the box but I delt with it for a month. I sent it back to edelbrock to get the carb changed for the 426 kit I have and now it runs perfect.
THANKS!!!

R3Concepts
06-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I have not had any problems with mine either. It is a touchy carb so its not for beginner tuners. The thing you guys have to keep in mind is that, you have to make idle changes every time you change the needle or go richer/leaner, thats just the way the Edelbrock works. Also 2 months is way to long to be waiting, I got mine in 3 days.

JDiablo
06-05-2004, 04:54 PM
yea it pissing me off alreayd it a good 7 weeks

Martin Blair
06-05-2004, 07:45 PM
I will get some more detailed pics and send them tommorow

I waited for mine only about a week

TM426
06-05-2004, 08:45 PM
HA HA I opened my mouth too soon!!!!! I went to ride today put a new spark plug in and tried to start te quad. Cranked and cranked I checked the grounds and then pulled the plug. I had spark. I pulled the boot off the carb and pumped the throttle. Only a little gas would come out and the clear line had gas. I was swearing and couldnt believe it. Pulled the carb and took apart. The valve attatched to the float was not letting any fuel in. I cleaned the carb out and put back together and connected fuel line back to it. Worked good, put the carb back in quad and made several adjustments. pulls HARD and idles good. Guess I spoke too soon.

Martin Blair
06-06-2004, 01:45 AM
lol, if you have any more problmes let me know, mine wouldnt idle, it wouldnt run right with any needle (linked to idle problem) And the accl pump wasn't working at all.

I will send pics to everyone sunday.

Cannonball08
06-06-2004, 07:02 AM
I just bought a edlebrock carb. I need to know where i can get a cable to fit my motion pro twist throttle.

Crashmore 22
06-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Two weeks ago the shaft on my accelerator pump snapped in half. I called edelbrock and chris silva fixed it under warranty. Has anyone had problems with there throttle being SUPER STIFF. I even bought the softer spring that goes under the accelerator pump and it is still stiff!

TM426
06-06-2004, 11:33 AM
I thought that the throttle would be stiffer because alot of people say the same thing and I dont want a twist. Mine throttle is a little stiff but, I ride all day and it doesnt bother me.

R3Concepts
06-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Crashmore thats the only problem I had with the accel. pump breaking, but Chris fixed it no problem. Take the throttle cover off and spray WD40 down the cable and it will loosen up in no time. The looser you want it, do it more often. You can also spray it on the wheel on the carb.

Martin Blair
06-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Sorry no pics today I didnt get pics before i put it on the bike so I have to take the plastic back off. but we went riding today so pics will be sent tommorow for sure.

I didnt have a problme with it snaping but I had a problem with The little pluger that keeps the gas thats in the accle pump from running back out of it. The little pluger was in backwards.

Martin Blair
06-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Ok pics sent out anyone else want them?

JDiablo
06-09-2004, 07:45 AM
i didnt get any,send them to devilsfan12@aol.com

Martin Blair
06-09-2004, 02:11 PM
ok i sent them again anyone else need them or ahve a problem?

JDiablo
06-09-2004, 02:27 PM
yea,they don't load...lol ahh can somone post them on here please:cool:

TM426
06-09-2004, 06:08 PM
I didnt get the pics either

Martin Blair
06-09-2004, 11:11 PM
can I email them to someone to post here?

z-dan
06-09-2004, 11:35 PM
To all the edelbrock pros in here, I bought an edelbrock a couple weeks ago off ebay. According to the guy its 38mm it took me a while to tune it and it works good. Today I was checking it and it looks the same size as the stock carb, it is also like an oval shape instead of of it being round. Did I get the right carb, How do i know if its for a 400.

fastbikes
06-09-2004, 11:40 PM
ok, I dont know much about the edelbrock, but I think it is broke? OK I will try to explain what is broke. The round wheel(red) will turn but the square thing that inside of the carb that has the adjuster thing on it does not come up, so I took it off and the thing doesn't open at all that. Should I send it back to Edelbrock, it is only about 2 months old.(I hope I explained it well enough, my husband could explain it better if he was here) Sorry

Martin Blair
06-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by z-dan
To all the edelbrock pros in here, I bought an edelbrock a couple weeks ago off ebay. According to the guy its 38mm it took me a while to tune it and it works good. Today I was checking it and it looks the same size as the stock carb, it is also like an oval shape instead of of it being round. Did I get the right carb, How do i know if its for a 400.

It is a oval shape and on the skinner side it is the stock width but It opens futer on the longer side of the oval I believe actual dimensions are like 34mm wide X 38mm tall. You could get the model number and ask edelbrock. It should be a #3004 if its a thumb throttle and a #3105 if its twist for 400ex. But if it fits the manifold and airbox boot it should be the 400ex carb.

Martin Blair
06-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by fastbikes
ok, I dont know much about the edelbrock, but I think it is broke? OK I will try to explain what is broke. The round wheel(red) will turn but the square thing that inside of the carb that has the adjuster thing on it does not come up, so I took it off and the thing doesn't open at all that. Should I send it back to Edelbrock, it is only about 2 months old.(I hope I explained it well enough, my husband could explain it better if he was here) Sorry

Are you sure the wheel is moving? If I understand this should be the wheel thats is in the carb that the thortle wheel connect to via a shaft. Connected to the round wheel there should be a strip of metal thats about the size of a fealer gauge, about 1/2 wide. It should be attached to the wheel with a 8 torax screw. Does the stip move up and down? If it does pull the slide out and there should be a screw and the strip should attach at the bottom, you can see if its attached buy looking in the front of the carb.

If it isnt attached you can get a new screw for either the wheel or the slide at the hardware store, if the screw is missing out of either search for it if you cant find it it may be in your motor, its small so as long as it doesnt get wedged between the sleeve and piston it should be fine. If the strip is missing I would send it back to edelbrock.

Can someone host some pics?

fastbikes
06-09-2004, 11:55 PM
No the strip is still there and the screw is also. the camber? spins freely on the shaft(is what my husband said).

Martin Blair
06-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by fastbikes
No the strip is still there and the screw is also. the camber? spins freely on the shaft(is what my husband said).

I dont know what he means buy camber but the "spool" (as edelbrock called it) Is the wheel where the strip of metal that raises the slide attachs, is that wheel spinning freely on the shaft?
If the slide and piece of metal are connected to it, then a way to tell is when the throttle is pushed does the outside wheel where the throttle cable hooks turn? If so then look on the other side of the carb where the shaft is coming out of it, is the shaft turning? If not then there is a set screw on the throttle whell that will need tightining. If so there is a set screw, that is down in the whole, just above the screw that secures the strip of metal to the spool that raises the slide. I believe it is a 8 torax as well. take it out and put some red loctite on it and tighten it back up. If it is not there I put 2 shorter set screws it mine, kind of like a double nut on a bolt. If this is what is wrong this is what caused mine not to idle, you may also want to think about the throttle stop screw idea. If someone will host pics I can show it to everyone or I could email them to you. I do not have any red wheels in my carb there all raw aluminum.

R3Concepts
06-10-2004, 07:32 AM
I think fastbikes is talking about the needle adjustment tool, which is junk, don't use it. Hold the throttle wide open and take a narrow flathead screwdriver and make your adjustments. I hope this is what you are talking about.

fastbikes
06-10-2004, 08:32 AM
The red wheel is not the adjustment, The carb has a red wheel and a red oval end that attached to the air thing. It has some guy signature on it. I will try that tonight to see if I can fix it thanks alot for all your help but I may still need more.

R3Concepts
06-10-2004, 09:02 AM
I still dont know what your talking about the red wheel, but that "guy" your talking about is probably Doug Eichner, and if you have a Eichner series Edlebrock, hang on to it. The other thing is that the Eichner series is for a 440 or bigger motor only, so its going to be even more fussy, its the the biggest needle they make I think, the 23.

fastbikes
06-10-2004, 04:36 PM
It is a 440 motor. It has been working great until now. It came with a 21,23,25 needle

Martin Blair
06-10-2004, 09:24 PM
the signature is probably Eicheners if its the 440 modle.

I dont really understand what your talking about, is the wheel on the outside or insode of the carb?

Is it the wheel where the strip of metal that raises the slide attachs to? If so it is probably the set screw in that wheel is loose.

pics would help, and im still looking for someone to host mine.

fastbikes
06-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Ok, It is working great now, there is a screw that is is on the wheel(inside) that was adjusted all the way out, once I screwed it back in it works great. THank You for all your help

sparky450AR
06-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
If anyone has a edelbrock carb and is having rpoblems with it let me know I just rebuilt the whole thing to fix the little bugs from the factory. If you ahve a problem let me know I can help my carb was a pos but its been doing great since I fixed it and I lthink once you get the bugs worked out it is just as good if not better then a FCR.

Are you kidding?? The FCR sucks....i still dont have it running right after talking to numerous REPS from FCR and carb warehouse.

Martin Blair
06-10-2004, 11:36 PM
some fcrs may suck, but to be truthful more edelbrocks fail then fcrs.

No problem although I didnt think I helped much never understood what you were talking about. Was is the set screw inside the carb? If so you might want to think about a throttle stop.

Can anyone host pics?

R3Concepts
06-11-2004, 05:53 AM
To be more truthful, Keihin has been making motorcycle carbs a lot longer then Edelbrock, BUT Edlebrock will be untouchable when they get the bugs worked out of thier carbs.

TM426
06-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Has anyone else experienced the fuel float sticking and not letting fuel in? Im starting to get pissed. The first time I thought I had it fixed. Well I went to ride again and got down the road and died again. I only had my (works) NEXTEL with me so I tapped the carb, and it started. but im sick of the float sticking!!

pistonbone
11-06-2005, 01:00 PM
is this stuff still a problem?

TM426
11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
I cleaned out the carb and its fine now. Im happy with the edelbrock carb. It starts in the first 4 cranks in the winter when cold. Its also pretty easy to dial in.