PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever seen a hiper break like this???

remlapr
06-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I hit a tree stump this past weekend and this is what happened. It was about 10 inches round and about 14 inches high. It was in the grass just off the trail, I never saw it until I hit. I hit it pretty hard, low\mid third gear. The thing is nothing else was damaged, not even the tire and I'm running my stock a-arms. It didn't even bend a stock tie-rod or anything. It would be a that bad if it was just the ring, but it pulled out the threads on the outter rim piece also :mad:

remlapr
06-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Close up. This definitely showed me how tuff razr2's are, it didn't puncture the sidewall at all and the top of the stump was cut clean with a chainsaw, so there was a edge.

Martin Blair
06-02-2004, 10:23 PM
That sucks, I have never heard of one breaking at all, But Hiper does have good service. Atleast for sponsers riders they will fix them for free.

JOEX
06-02-2004, 10:49 PM
That sucks:(

It makes my leakage problem seem minor even though I have to replace the same part.

bradley300
06-02-2004, 11:59 PM
ive seen a few times this has happened, not a wide spread problem, but not the first time ive seen it either. i think new rings are olnly about 20 bucks a piece arent they?

remlapr
06-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Yeah, but it pulled the threads on the one bolt hole - so I have to either try to tap it out, then bore out the hole in the ring and use a big mismatch bolt and hope that works, or buy a new outer piece, which is probably what I'll do because like JOEX, they are leaking anyway :o

yz250
06-05-2004, 06:26 AM
they come with a years warrenty on them it may not cost a dime

yz250
06-05-2004, 06:44 AM
remlaper check messages

RIDER11X
06-05-2004, 07:35 AM
I am pretty sure that the threaded inserts are replacable as well.....So see about geting a pack of them and a ring.

Hipers are awesome......Do you think any wheel would withstand that kind of hit any better? :huh Be glad that is all that happened!

cdalejef
06-05-2004, 07:44 AM
If that would have been an alum beadlock, you would have had n no warantee and you would have had to replace the whole wheel. Now if you are still under warantee it won't cost you a dime and if its not all you will have todo is buy a couple pieces for very little money.

dsride
06-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Thats nothing, I have seen them explode into 4-5 pieces!

cdalejef
06-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by dsride
Thats nothing, I have seen them explode into 4-5 pieces! Pics please!

ranger400ex
06-07-2004, 10:21 AM
PICS or STFU.:rolleyes:

I have seen misc cracks and breaks...it does take a good hit, one that would cave an aluminum rim to tin foil.

Nothing but good luck from mine, tons of scratches and dings, but damn near bulletproof

BMW

Call hiper if they are still under warranty.

Rip_Tear
06-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Do you think any wheel would withstand that kind of hit any better? :huh Be glad that is all that happened!

I have a set of steel ITP rims on the front of my 400ex and they are dented really bad from hitting rocks... I bet I could destroy a set of hypers.

cdalejef
06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I have a set of steel ITP rims on the front of my 400ex and they are dented really bad from hitting rocks... I bet I could destroy a set of hypers. I'll take that bet! The wheels you have are very thin and weak!

Out_Sider
06-07-2004, 05:04 PM
that's one thing about hypers though for real. they will either be fine, or they will crack. but they look so kool..i think its worth it, lol

Rip_Tear
06-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I'll take that bet! The wheels you have are very thin and weak!

If you send me a set I will see what I can do :D :p Its all rock up here...

Mxjunkie
06-07-2004, 05:28 PM
If you send me a set I will see what I can do :D :p Its all rock up here...

i say send the kid a set, if he breaks them he gets to keep them ;) if he doesnt in a months time they get taken back

remlapr
06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
I agree any regular rim would have been trashed completely. A burgard beadlock - I don't know. The beadlocks they put on those look pretty beefy. The part that surprised me was that it did that without tearing anything else up. When I hit I expected at least a broken balljoint and a bent tierod - but only problem was the hiper. I think the fact that I never saw it actually helped me not hurt my wrist. I wasn't holding on tight so it just yanked the bar out of my hand and into my chest protector. That may explain why the tierod didn't bent also, I don't know...

As far as warranty - I bought them used so I can forget about that...

yz250
06-08-2004, 02:39 PM
If he cant break them then he pays double

Mxjunkie
06-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by yz250
If he cant break them then he pays double

lol that works :macho

AlaskaSpeed
06-08-2004, 06:42 PM
I had a front Hiper break this spring....about same situation. Flying down a trail, slid on some mud/ice and into a rock. Jeff took care of me so fast I didn't even miss a ride. I think I emailed pics of the broken wheel to Jeff....

Guy400
06-08-2004, 07:25 PM
I nearly got run over by a Pro at Powerline Park in 2002. Our archives don't go back far enough but I posted about as soon as I came home. I was standing off the track nearly 15' and a quad comes racing towards me with the right rear on the ground and he could barely steer the thing. I thought he snapped an axle but as he came over and stopped right next to me I saw that his right rear Hiper grenaded. The aluminum center was still bolted to the hub but the carbon fiber had completely broken all the way around. The guy got off the quad and had a few choice words to say but then he went on to say it was the 2nd Hiper rim he had broken in 2 races.

I'm not saying the Hiper wheels are bad. I'm just saying I did see one break. Our archives don't go back far enough or I'd search for the post I made right after it happened where I said the guys name.

nacs400ex
06-08-2004, 08:02 PM
I have a set of steel ITP rims on the front of my 400ex and they are dented really bad from hitting rocks... I bet I could destroy a set of hypers.

Im going to have to bet you on that too Adric. HiPers are incredibly strong. Have you seen the rocks on the GNCC courses.. probably worse than up north:eek2:WOW I watched last years GNCC season and it helped me decided the rims to buy. :blah:

cdalejef
06-09-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I nearly got run over by a Pro at Powerline Park in 2002. Our archives don't go back far enough but I posted about as soon as I came home. I was standing off the track nearly 15' and a quad comes racing towards me with the right rear on the ground and he could barely steer the thing. I thought he snapped an axle but as he came over and stopped right next to me I saw that his right rear Hiper grenaded. The aluminum center was still bolted to the hub but the carbon fiber had completely broken all the way around. The guy got off the quad and had a few choice words to say but then he went on to say it was the 2nd Hiper rim he had broken in 2 races.

I'm not saying the Hiper wheels are bad. I'm just saying I did see one break. Our archives don't go back far enough or I'd search for the post I made right after it happened where I said the guys name. In 2002 to that would have been the first generation Hipers. You won't see that happeing with the new ones.

Guy400
06-09-2004, 07:04 AM
In 2002 to that would have been the first generation Hipers. You won't see that happeing with the new ones. I remember after making my original post in October 2002 that someone said Hiper had changed something on their new wheels.

ranger400ex
06-09-2004, 10:52 AM
they changed a supplier and materials...along with some design changes.

another thing most people don't realize, the black rings are the strongest as they are made of carbon too, where the colored rings are zytel based, and not quite as bulletproof, but still better than aluminum.

remlapr
06-09-2004, 11:47 AM
I thought the used to be true about the black rings, but they are now all made out of zytel - which is still some very strong stuff.

06-09-2004, 11:59 AM
id rather have one rim bend/break then the tierods, a-arms, &/or frame bending but still having a good rim..

06-09-2004, 02:05 PM
pos

:blah:

dsride
06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Pics please!

I have no pics. It happend at the Score San Felipe 250 in 2002 I think. The wheel exploded and took out the rear shock rezzie and the rear brake cost them the race. Ill just STFU now. LOL!

yz250
06-10-2004, 02:43 PM
The rims in the pictures r level 1 rims u can tell by the bolts in the rings and the bolts in the center section they have been around a while:D

XC250R
06-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I thought the used to be true about the black rings, but they are now all made out of zytel - which is still some very strong stuff.

I'll take the $6 tie rod over the $250 rim anyday.