View Full Version : possible exhaust innovation?

xr50layke
06-02-2004, 09:32 PM
you know how ontop of the stack pipes on transport trucks they have those tea-kettle stoppers at the top that close when exhaust emmissions arent coming out? why not have one a little but inside the exhaust on 4x4's so when your quad gets shut off it shuts and no water gets in. but when exhaust wants to come out it pushes it open?

good idea or is there a reason they dont do this already?

44oEX
06-02-2004, 09:49 PM
if you could get that to work like it sould you could sell it to mud guys and make some money. alot of people would pay a couple of $ instead of having to rebuild the motor.

LTandRaptorider
06-02-2004, 09:50 PM
It wouldn't seal the water out.

xr50layke
06-02-2004, 10:00 PM
it would also make pipes quieter.

no? what if it...did some kind of...well, what if it had lubricated rubber seals on a slider that allows it to stay in a lube'd area and when the quad shuts off it electrically closes the valve. no water presto.

MotoX3
06-02-2004, 10:03 PM
thats just more stuff to go wrong with your quad...what happens if it got stuck shut....and why would you need to close your exhaust if your not moving because you couldnt move when ya got ur pipe plugged?....maybe i dont understand what ur sayin...idk its a good concept tho:macho

LTandRaptorider
06-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by xr50layke
it would also make pipes quieter.

no? what if it...did some kind of...well, what if it had lubricated rubber seals on a slider that allows it to stay in a lube'd area and when the quad shuts off it electrically closes the valve. no water presto.

Well, work on it. might make you rich some day! ;) Maybe something with an internal check valve... :confused:

xr50layke
06-02-2004, 10:12 PM
ill draw a schematic tomorow.

because the ones one trucks are gravity fed, you could have 3 inches of the end of the exhaust sticking upward. this makes it quieter, right? not sure about performance. that way when water hits it, it will hit it, on top, keeping it shut because of the imbalance of air pressure inside the exhaust and in the water. when you start up your quad and the valve is in, nail the gas cuz it would take so-many lbs of gas pressure to make the valve re-open? that way in order to start moving again the quad doesnt suck in water at low rpm's and the valve re opens at high rpm. im not sure how the exhaust is supposed to build up pressure to open the valve again im not sure if they would go back in the engine (no because its shoving them outwards i guess). Im starting to think they should make STOCK snorkles on all 4x4's about 1 foot above the bars or something.

MotoX3
06-02-2004, 10:18 PM
your pipe would have to stick out past the plastic to get your upward pipe....i think thats what you said?:confused:....so then you would have to have a longer grab bar...unless on a 4x4 u ran it up through the back racks...which would pretty much render them useless unless you rigged it so u got your pipe to clear your plastic and still stay under the racks.....idk its late
:p :macho

LTandRaptorider
06-02-2004, 10:29 PM
ill draw a schematic tomorow.

because the ones one trucks are gravity fed, you could have 3 inches of the end of the exhaust sticking upward. this makes it quieter, right? not sure about performance. that way when water hits it, it will hit it, on top, keeping it shut because of the imbalance of air pressure inside the exhaust and in the water. when you start up your quad and the valve is in, nail the gas cuz it would take so-many lbs of gas pressure to make the valve re-open? that way in order to start moving again the quad doesnt suck in water at low rpm's and the valve re opens at high rpm. im not sure how the exhaust is supposed to build up pressure to open the valve again im not sure if they would go back in the engine (no because its shoving them outwards i guess). Im starting to think they should make STOCK snorkles on all 4x4's about 1 foot above the bars or something.

As long as the engine is running, the exhaust PSI should be greater than the water pressure. If it isn't, then you're in too deep!

416exmx
06-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
As long as the engine is running, the exhaust PSI should be greater than the water pressure. If it isn't, then you're in too deep!

true and the only other two ways for water to get in the exhaust is by letting it set out in the rain or spraying in the exhaust while washing (which both would be dumb reasons for water getting in). anyway, those exhaust flappers have been around for years and if it was a good idea for quads someone would have already made something like it..... c'mon be a little more creative.....

400exrules
06-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
true and the only other two ways for water to get in the exhaust is by letting it set out in the rain or spraying in the exhaust while washing (which both would be dumb reasons for water getting in). anyway, those exhaust flappers have been around for years and if it was a good idea for quads someone would have already made something like it..... c'mon be a little more creative.....

what do u do if u do happen to get water in your exhaust? take it off and dry it?

and what would u have to do to the quad, if u left it in the rain on accident?

zephead400ex
06-03-2004, 10:20 AM
wilkons250r....you are needed here:D

LTandRaptorider
06-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
what do u do if u do happen to get water in your exhaust? take it off and dry it?

and what would u have to do to the quad, if u left it in the rain on accident?

Change the packing, run the engine to dry it out. You won't get water in the exhaust from leaving it out in the rain. ;)

I think a snorkel would work best for deep water crossings.

ewalker302
06-03-2004, 06:04 PM
Iv'e gotten water in my atc250sx's engine lots of times. If the pipe was under water & the engine died, it would suck water back into the engine. Most newer bikes dont seem to have this problem. Anyway the only people that would benefit from this woud be ppl doing deep water/mud crossings/playing, and Iv'e seen a few lifted quads w/removable extentions on their exhaust for deep water, however they were all homeade. Maybe somthing like this would sell-----I've never shopped for one, but somebody prob already makes it.

:bandit:

redrunner
06-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
It wouldn't seal the water out.

xr50layke
06-03-2004, 08:34 PM
my dad had an idea today. digital tire pressure gauges on your car dash. who thinks i could come up with something and patent/sell it to car companies?

chucked
06-03-2004, 08:43 PM
my dad had an idea today. digital tire pressure gauges on your car dash. who thinks i could come up with something and patent/sell it to car companies?

hummers have them, and you can change the tire pressure while your driving....