PDA

View Full Version : Front brake question?

outacontrol31
06-02-2004, 09:28 PM
After changing out my handlebars my front brakes seem to have become spongy, all I did was take off the front lever and brake fluid ressivor and left them hanging by the brake lines for about a day till I could purchase my new handlebars, then i put them park on and now they don't work near as well. could air have gotten in my line or what? please help:(

tkwarrior
06-03-2004, 01:55 PM
It doesn't take long to bleed the brakes so I would just try that first. I'm not near my bike right now but I don't remember the brakes having adjustments so spungy means worn out brakes or air in the lines in my book.

Hope this helps.

WhiteZee
06-03-2004, 04:57 PM
i dont see how air could get into the lines unless there is a leak somewhere, but thats what i would do, try bleeding the brakes.

Hammer trx450r
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
i had my calipers and lever all hanging there for 4 weeks and they work fine now

ProConcept
06-03-2004, 09:30 PM
pump the lever, it should become hard again. That happens alot to my snowmobiles when I tip them on there sides to do ice stud work.

sparky450AR
06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I had the same thing happen to my rear brakes when i put the lonestar axle on. I also took the rear brake ressy cap off. This is all i did that could make a difference. It sucks because you gotta really slam down hard on the rear brakes now.

lukester720
06-04-2004, 12:17 AM
A little air could have got in your line if the ressie was upside down like that, try bleeding them.

crashsmith
06-04-2004, 05:51 PM
You have got air in. You can try this trick. Pull the brake lever and tie a small bungee or string around the lever and bar. Leave it over night like this or even on the trailer as you carry it out to the riding zone. The air will slowly work its way up the lines. when the lever is not pulled the valve is closed.
Post reply if it works.

Hammer trx450r
06-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by crashsmith
You have got air in. You can try this trick. Pull the brake lever and tie a small bungee or string around the lever and bar. Leave it over night like this or even on the trailer as you carry it out to the riding zone. The air will slowly work its way up the lines. when the lever is not pulled the valve is closed.
Post reply if it works.

Pretty smooth, i want to know if it works too;)

outacontrol31
06-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the help, i'll try it tonight;)

outacontrol31
06-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Well it helped it a little but it's still not as good as it was before so as soon as i can get some brake fluid i'm gonna bleed the brakes, i'll keep ya posted;)