PDA

View Full Version : PEP vs. ELKA

TC426EX
06-02-2004, 06:01 PM
I really hate to start this post, but it was brought up on one of the previous ones. What do you think is better and who is on top. We are talking about the QUALITY of the shocks and their performance, not TURNAROUND time. If you dont own a pair of these or have never ridden them please dont chime in and spit out a bunch of stuff you have read. I know there was a post like this PEP vs. AXiIS, but I think there are more people running elkas and PEP's now than axis so this is what it should have been in the first place. Obviously I will cast the first vote for PEP's because they are still the best out to me, and YES I have ridden both of them...... All top suspension performs great if it is set up right, but which do you prefer????

Hate to start another suspension war, but this one should be interesting........

quader400
06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
well im going to have to throw my vote to elka. i couldnt be happier with mine the have never cause problems and i have ridden peps i didnt like them im sure i would have liked them more if they were set up for me weight and everything but id have to say elka. but there both great and either one that you pick is good.

dsracer666
06-03-2004, 08:02 AM
when I was shopping for shocks my options axis, pep, and elka. I did much research, and talked to many people. first off the axis were out of my price range.

elka, many people had great things to say about the front, but people were having trouble with the rear. blowing, or coming to stiff. we have elka suport at our races, but what good does that do if you blow a rear shock in the middle of a southwick race!

PEP, I could not find 1 person that had a problem except time. and time was not an issue for me. plus 2-3 years ago 9 of 10 pro riders were running PEP.

not a tough decision for me!

06-03-2004, 09:13 AM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/uhoh2.gif

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/argue.gif

This thread will be filled with more BS than all the porta pots at a GNCC race..:rolleyes:

muff
06-03-2004, 01:20 PM
I own both. while the STD travel elkas could not compare to the LT big ressie PEPs, they are still awesome shocks and handle great. the PEPs feel smoother but it might just be the setup I have.

dreth
06-03-2004, 08:34 PM
what if a layman that has only ridden stock suspension bikes was to buy PEPs or ELKAs would the difference between the two, really matter to him???? or would he really even notice the difference??????

400exr
06-03-2004, 09:01 PM
I couldn't tell you if either one is better because I have never ridden PEP before, but I do know that my Elkas are well worth the money. The craftmanship is first rate and they are very very nice to ride on. If I had the to choose again, I'd go for the Elkas again.

sparky450AR
06-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by dreth
what if a layman that has only ridden stock suspension bikes was to buy PEPs or ELKAs would the difference between the two, really matter to him???? or would he really even notice the difference??????

This is like saying if a person cant see worth a ****, and they have to squint at everything....it wont matter because he wont know the difference in being able to see well and having poor vision.

If your going to spend hundreds of dollars on suspension, you want to have the best. whether or not you know for sure which is the best, you want to know something about the product.

I had elkas on an old 330ex and they werent anything compared to the axis on my 416.....but ive never ridden peps. Before axis, i also had works on my 416, and personally i thought they were better than the elkas.

cals400ex
06-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
This is like saying if a person cant see worth a ****, and they have to squint at everything....it wont matter because he wont know the difference in being able to see well and having poor vision.

If your going to spend hundreds of dollars on suspension, you want to have the best. whether or not you know for sure which is the best, you want to know something about the product.

I had elkas on an old 330ex and they werent anything compared to the axis on my 416.....but ive never ridden peps. Before axis, i also had works on my 416, and personally i thought they were better than the elkas.

i am wondering if that is becasue your comparing shocks on a 300ex to shocks on a 400ex.

redroost85
06-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Ok, I'll give my two cents here. My feeling is this. I am not a professional rider, nor do I claim to know everything about quads....on the other hand I am not ignorant either.

I would rather have a decent prodect with customer service that goes above and beyond, as opposed to perhaps a superior product that has non-existant help, service, etc....

I have ridden on PEP's, but not on Elkas. The PEP's I rode/raced with were incredible...in a good way. On the other hand what it took me to get the PEP's and then get them dialed in....well, it took an unacceptable amount of time. I know I will not get PEP's again. They are still great, but I think most of their popularity comes from being hard to get. I.E. perceived unattainability increases interest.

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth. I would love to try Elkas though. :)

06-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i am wondering if that is becasue your comparing shocks on a 300ex to shocks on a 400ex.

LMFAO that's what I was wondering.:o

UglyMotha™
06-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by sparky450AR

ok....... you start off preaching bout comparing apples to oranges then you turn around and do it :huh

R3Concepts
06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
My vote goes for PEP, but I have one thing to say about a comment made earlier in the thread. HOW did it take redroost85 a long time to dial in PEP shocks. IM sorry but if you bought your shocks for you and your bike, they were spot on, I guarantee it. Wayne and Mark each ask about 30 questions about you and your bike and style so there is no way that PEP shocks are WAY off when you get them, not happening. Just my .02.

redroost85
06-04-2004, 10:50 AM
This was back few years ago when I thought I knew what I was doing and running some rather crazy setups. Also, I bought them from a supposed PEP dealer (no names, this is all water under the bridge now) the guy that valved them for me had no effing clue what he was doing......I come to find out later of course.

I'm sure PEP stuff is spot on, that I won't deny. But for myself personally, just because I had bad experience with them I still have a bad taste in my mouth.:(

PEP and Elka are both excellent and they are what you make it. I was younger and dumber back then and that was my problem with PEP.:o :)

dreth
06-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Rico
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/uhoh2.gif

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/argue.gif

This thread will be filled with more BS than all the porta pots at a GNCC race..:rolleyes:

what i just heard from a dealer is peps are just works shocks that have been revalved by wayne!!!!!!!!!! is it true or is the above quote correct

R3Concepts
06-04-2004, 06:16 PM
PEP are not works shocks, back in the day they used to use some of the same parts, but are not works shocks. Some will say works made the first ZPS shock, but Wayne perfected everything about ZPS.