PDA

View Full Version : Cam and Piston

MrTrendy1
06-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Which cam and piston should I get on a stock bore? Which is best on the cams and where is the best place to get one? I've read the arguements about both the web cam and hot cam, what about the hrc cam? As for a piston, what is the highest compression I can get for a stock bore?

TC426EX
06-02-2004, 06:23 PM
There are many posts about this, but here is what I say.....

Get an 11:1 wiseco and get the TC 924 MX or 926 XC cams whichever one suits you better. These are drop in cams and are better than the Hotcam and Webcam. The web requires a core charge and hardened rockers and springs and all that too. I'm not aware of any stock bore pistons higher than 11:1 but maybe Im wrong... Anyway, if you go higher than that on the EX you really should get the heavy duty head stud kit, or have your studs Heli-coiled because high-comp. EX's are known for blowing head gaskets (im speaking from experience here). Get the wiseco piston and the TC cam and also add a high rev CDI if you dont already have one, ditch the airbox lid, get a K+N and re jet and youll be on your way to alot more power.

jsquare76
06-03-2004, 09:12 AM
I was told by a machinest that an 11:1 is too big for the stock sleeve. (the sleeve is too thin in otheer words) He told me the biggest he would reccommend would be 9.5:1 which is what I have now. He said you could put an 11:1 in there but it wouldnt last very long unless you re-sleeve it which is not what you want to do from what I understand. I dont know maybe hes wrong.

06-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by jsquare76
I was told by a machinest that an 11:1 is too big for the stock sleeve. (the sleeve is too thin in otheer words) He told me the biggest he would reccommend would be 9.5:1 which is what I have now. He said you could put an 11:1 in there but it wouldnt last very long unless you re-sleeve it which is not what you want to do from what I understand. I dont know maybe hes wrong.

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/bsflag.gif

EXDUNER127
06-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Dude dont listen to that guy, my buddy put a std bore 10:8:1 piston in his and a webcam, i would go with a web cam because that is what sparks would recommend if you dont get his cam. it all depends, because if you want a drop in cam get the hot cam because if you are going to spend the money on a drop in tc cam, you might as well get the webcam, because they rock, never had any probs...

UglyMotha™
06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by jsquare76

funny........ i bored my stock sleeve out even thinner and i'm running 11:1 :huh

MrTrendy1
06-03-2004, 11:58 AM
What about the HRC cam? I've seen some posts about it but really never anything major. Is it worth it? Or would one of the others be just as good?

cals400ex
06-03-2004, 12:28 PM
i think every hrc owner loves it. however, it is too expensive for a lot of the people so they go cheaper and get a hotcam for 1/2 the price and you end up with similar performance.

MrTrendy1
06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
What are the downfalls of going with a hotcam? It doesn't require the core charge right?

06-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MrTrendy1
What are the downfalls of going with a hotcam? It doesn't require the core charge right?

Cheaper price and product compared to the HRC cam.

No core charge with the Hotcam..:cool:

MrTrendy1
06-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Cheaper price and product compared to the HRC cam.

No core charge with the Hotcam..:cool:

So in the long haul, I would be doing myself better by getting the HRC? How much is it and where can I get one?

06-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by MrTrendy1
So in the long haul, I would be doing myself better by getting the HRC? How much is it and where can I get one?

HOt cam is about $130

HRC is around $280 and is a Honda part built and tested by Honda so you won't go wrong with it.

Can't tell ya were to get it or I'll get in trouble...:eek2:

MrTrendy1
06-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Rico
HOt cam is about $130

HRC is around $280 and is a Honda part built and tested by Honda so you won't go wrong with it.

Can't tell ya were to get it or I'll get in trouble...:eek2:

Thanks for all the info you did give tho Rico.

Ok, about the piston now. 11 to 1 compression on a stock bore is possible but what else should be done to gain this? I think I've read that it will not be a true 11:1 but close. Would running 97-98 octane gas be fine or should I go higher?

hondarider2006
06-03-2004, 04:25 PM
You will be fine with 97-98 octane:)

MrTrendy1
06-03-2004, 04:53 PM
So which one should I get, the Wiseco or JE? I believe I can get the Wiseco and a head gasket kit for $125 plus shipping. How much is a JE and what else would I need other than the piston?

cals400ex
06-03-2004, 05:47 PM
you will need a headgasket and base gasket. you will want to get your cylinder honed out too.