PDA

View Full Version : question about 400 running like crap

zzbudzz
03-23-2002, 02:10 AM
i rode yesterday (about 63 degrees) it ran great warmed up fast only choked it about a minute or 2,today (about 50or little cooler) started it up full choke it would run, but only on full choke.if i opened up the choke a little ,it ran like crap (missing bogging out, cutting off ) i tried for about 20 minutes to warm it up . but still couldn't run without full choke?i changed the plug (just in case) same thing .the bike is bone stock no air box mods or any thing .should i bump up the main jet (38 now i think) ?i'm real tired of the bike not running in the cold!!!!

Wheelie
03-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Loosen the screw on the bottom of the float bowl and drail some of the fuel out, you might have some water in your fuel. If that doesn't help, you probably have a plugged jet. In that case you would have to remove the carb and thorougly clean it.

BTW---Remove the fuel line going from your gas tank to your carb and turn the fuel on for a very short period of time to make sure your fuel problem isn't a plugged screen in the bottom of the gas tank.

Good Luck!

03-24-2002, 10:36 PM
Try changing the pilot jet. It is what controlls idle to about 1/8th of your throttle. I've heard that in colder weather you need a bigger pilot jet for more fuel. That's what the problem sounds like, not enough fuel. Try a #40, it should work.

mopar 400
03-25-2002, 02:44 AM
The pilot jet change would be a wise choice for your cold starting needs. The bumb to a 40, as blueoval suggested should help you start right up in that temp.