PDA

View Full Version : getting ready for my freestyle ramp!!!!!!!yea!!!!!

quader400
06-01-2004, 08:26 PM
well i decided i was going to build a freestyle ramp so my dad said i could put it on the side of my garage its like kinda a junk pile behind a fence. so i cleared it out and im going to be opening the fence and behind the fence next to the garage will be the ramp. and then at the end of the garage will be the landing im having dirt dumped there and ill have like a 15 foot landing. my garage is 60 feet so i will have a lot of room for making the gap bigger and smaller. ill try and get picks of all the steps of it. its going to be a rev. 1 with an altered tranny. i think it will be started this weekend and finished some time next weekend. my dads and carpenter and hes building it for me so it will be solid. i cant wait.

400ex28
06-01-2004, 08:58 PM
sounds cool you gonna hav to get some pics of it when ur done

Jason1
06-02-2004, 04:53 PM
im honest to goodness not trying to spam here.. but i slashed ramp prices severely.. by the time you add your your materials, time , and guess work (worst one of all) i could build it for ya.

it makes no difference to me, making ramps isnt my main form of income.. im just trying to make the sport grow and throw a coin in my pocket at the same time

my site is in my sig, check it out

quader400
06-02-2004, 05:53 PM
im building it all from wood with a metal mesh over the top and my dads a carpenter and i already have like all the wood basically but thanks though.

SRH
06-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by quader400
im building it all from wood with a metal mesh over the top and my dads a carpenter and i already have like all the wood basically but thanks though.

i dont care if hes a rocket scientist it wont last and its dangerous...

theTman
06-06-2004, 07:20 AM
yea man,.... make it outta all metal..... NO WOOD it will eventually rot out.. crack.... then break in half when your in the middle of hitting it so you nosedive into the ground and eat dirt

Hammer trx450r
06-06-2004, 07:31 AM
i've built houses for 17 yrs and it will fall apart. Tell him to use "gorilla glue" if you insist on useing wood. Tell him to get life insuance on you too j/k

quader400
06-06-2004, 07:36 AM
hes built houses for like close to 30 years now im pretty sure he knows what hes doing and he says it wont fall apart.

and im just curious how many of you that are telling me no wood it will fall apart actually have experience with wood falling apart or are you just seeing one bad wood ramp on the forums and now your spreading that wood sucks.

Hammer trx450r
06-06-2004, 07:48 AM
wood cracks, splits, dries out, gets wet, bugs eat it, warps, checks, and your dad does not know where the stress points will be if he has no engineering background. Not at all trying to bust your balls i had the same idea but i will go with metal because of the reasons i stated. but if your not serious and you only want it for a season then knock yourself out but i would spend the time and do it right

Jason1
06-06-2004, 10:34 AM
yeah im agreeing with all these guys but i didnt want to start anything but since everone else is chiming in...

houses are made to just stand.. now being forcefully beaten all the time by a machine.

wood is an organic material, its very vyer soft as compared to steel. its NOT going to hold up.

quader400
06-06-2004, 11:40 AM
well i guess ill see what happends but i still think its going to work and ive seen plenty of wood ramps that have held up

Hammer trx450r
06-06-2004, 12:21 PM
make sure to plywood gusset everything

250xridamatt
06-07-2004, 08:30 PM
mine rotted and almost threw me off. Im an idiot, i just threw on another layer of sheetwood, and called it good enough lol. It is a small jump tho, nothing like what he is going to do.

250xridamatt
06-07-2004, 08:30 PM
mine rotted and almost threw me off. Im an idiot, i just threw on another layer of sheetwood, and called it good enough lol. It is a small jump tho, nothing like what he is going to do.

quader400
06-07-2004, 08:59 PM
and its not like its a one build deal when ever a board rotts ill replace it ill check it before every ride ill put new plywood on it like every 2-4 months

ramp rida 55
06-08-2004, 06:24 PM
make it out of 2x12's and cover the whole thing with ply wood and check it all the time you should be ok. ive had tons of wooden bike ramps and i know obviously a quad puts more of a beatin on it due to its weight but you could probly get a year or 2 out of it if you keep it out of the rain and snow:cool:

RH1N08d9
06-08-2004, 09:42 PM
just check it often, and use that marine deck paint on it!, an cover it up!

bignorm
06-08-2004, 10:13 PM
well im not trying to say woods the best choice for ramp becasue it isnt but they do build rollercoasters out of it and they go though way more strees than any ramp will. but heres an idea use a butt load of wood or find a big *** tree and carve it out. lol

-josh

Rip_Tear
06-09-2004, 04:01 PM
If you stain the wood and paint it you wont have to worry about rott... and just a curious question... has anyone tried buidling a ramp out of plastic... you know the plastic they use for building???

ramp rida 55
06-09-2004, 06:15 PM
good point about the roller coaster norm,

put it together with some big *** screws but drill through first so you dont split the wood and ise that gorilla glue stuff and paint the surface with that sand paint mix :cool:

Hammer trx450r
06-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
If you stain the wood and paint it you wont have to worry about rott... and just a curious question... has anyone tried buidling a ramp out of plastic... you know the plastic they use for building???

You mean azak? too flimsy

06-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Use as much of your dad's left over pressure treated wood as possible for the base, and use 2-3 2by10s nailed together like a lam beam for the supports.

I also build houses for a living, and wood can hold up if you know what your doing, by building it nice and tight, then layer that sh*t with boat paint, but check everywhere every 5-6 times you hit it. Dont just use nails, because the force will rip them right out, use some sort of giant nut and bolt setup.

If I were you, id just go with the steal, this things gonna weigh more than a house by the time its safe enough to hit.

quader400
06-15-2004, 09:55 PM
we actually decided that were going to dig post holes and make like were building fence but itt will be in the ramp form and every post has a new angle for what we want than support that like a jump and them it should defffinatly hold.