PDA

View Full Version : Pep Shocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

macsolocam
06-01-2004, 02:04 PM
How many people have pep shocks order and how long have you been waiting? I have had mine order since the first of Jan. and still not received them.

I would like to hear what everybody else has to say about this...

macsolocam.

toomeyshee87
06-01-2004, 02:23 PM
i waited like 4 months for mine...just be patient

06-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by macsolocam
How many people have pep shocks order and how long have you been waiting? I have had mine order since the first of Jan. and still not received them.

Sounds normal to me...:confused:

UglyMotha™
06-01-2004, 03:05 PM
that's odd, wonder why it's taking so long I only waited an entire week for my elkas :o

:devil:

INFANTRY RACING
06-01-2004, 03:16 PM
call up whoever you ordered form and see. they are a long wait but worth it

kgbg
06-01-2004, 03:40 PM
I got mine a little earlier than expected, but it was well worth the wait.
They take a while.

TC426EX
06-01-2004, 03:47 PM
There are lots of posts about this run a search on PEP's. It is true they take a long time but it is worth it like everyone said. If you ordered them from Wayne, then good luck getting ahold of him. I would just leave him messages until he calls you back. If you ordered them from Baldwin's then just call his shop and you wont have ANY problems getting ahold of him. Based on your scenario I assume you ordered them from Wayne and he is known for being backed up and busy catering to the national riders. Fortunately he is also known for being the MOST knowledgable guy in the suspension business PERIOD so at least you'll have top rate shocks when they finally DO arrive. Just call him up and if you cant get ahold of him call Baldwins even if you didnt order from him and he will have MUCH better luck getting ahold of him for you than you would. That would be my advice, good luck.......

dreth
06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
that's odd, wonder why it's taking so long I only waited an entire week for my elkas :o

:devil:

i thought elkas were the shock to get so why all the fuss for peps

TC426EX
06-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Elkas are good and getting better but PEP's are still THE shock for sure, so thats why all the fuss about them.....

Martin Blair
06-01-2004, 07:17 PM
Im with with ugly I waited hmm lets see less then 2 weeks for my elkas

JDiablo
06-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
Im with with ugly I waited hmm lets see less then 2 weeks for my elkas

i got mine in 5 days i think,and just ordered the rear shock today:macho

Tommy 17
06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
u may see them next january 1st...

i think arens and pep should get married... both take forever to get their parts out:p :o

INFANTRY RACING
06-01-2004, 09:24 PM
i think pep puts more ito their shocks than elka. ever ordered a set of peps. they ask about 50 questions to help them setup right. they just don't slap them together. i've heard of shock builders say how they found 2 compltely different parts in the same pair of shocks. i can't say to much more since i run elkas but i would have peps if i planned on keeping this quad more than a year.

Paul400ex2002
06-01-2004, 11:34 PM
i ordered mine the second or third week of december and had them like the second week of january, they were done in 3 weeks and we had them in 4. It all depends on what time of year you order them and where he is at in his lineup.

Martin Blair
06-02-2004, 12:01 AM
I would ahve to agree that the elka techs arnt that great but I didnt buy them from elka I got them from pat at pbs. He does all suspension for nacs and does great work alot better the factory elka. I ordered them and he had them at my door 2 weeks later.

06-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
I would ahve to agree that the elka techs arnt that great

Wow

I never realized PEP, axis, works, or TCS had on-hand techs at GNCC and GNC races to help tune ANYONE's shocks like Elka. Yes you read that correctly anyone will get help not just pro's. Elka normally has shock builders, engineers and techs on hand at national races to help any person with elka shocks get tuned in for that particular track. Someone please tell me that if you dont' run elkas your shock provider does this for you..

I"m not going to get into the normal shock debates as normal....:p But Elka has stepped up to the plate and is making more advances in shock technology than most companies have done in the last 10 years..

Their R&D dept. is working everyday to make things better while most other companies are happy with how their shock works and probably find no need to waste money or time on making their product even better.. Something can always be improved so don't hand me no bullchit about, well their the best so they don't need to be made better. I'll call horsechit on that all day long..:blah: Everyone thought old camero's and mustangs were the best they could ever be, but somehow they get better and better every year.

EvilJester400EX
06-02-2004, 07:34 AM
You got jipped, waiting this long for a set of shocks? I got my Axis shocks in only a week:blah:

On a serious note, just wait, PEP does take a long time.

roostin_dale
06-02-2004, 07:43 AM
My elka's took 5 days
and my TCS took a week..:o

PEP is a very good shock but I would never wait 5+ months for them....

macsolocam
06-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks for some info guys....Yeah I know peps takes a long time, but I think 6 months should be long enough!! I ordered mine on Jan 1st and I did kind of ordered them directly from wayne. I called Baldwin and they said they would be probably 6 to 8 weeks to get them. From what I hear wayne just does the valving and ships the rest to them to assemble. I am glad that wayne is doing all of my work, but if I had known that I could get them faster through baldwin I might have went that route. I wish wayne could let my dealer do the same as baldwin, he could make a lot more money...but I don't think he is really interested it that. I guess he is already making enough. I am going to hold out though, I have waited this long....surely it is getting close.

"When in Doubt...Air it Out"

Macsolocam.

dreth
06-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Elkas are good and getting better but PEP's are still THE shock for sure, so thats why all the fuss about them.....

so how many of us [ATV riders] feel that PEP is better than ELKA?

INFANTRY RACING
06-02-2004, 06:48 PM
you might not get wayne at every national but if you need help with pep i bet you could find mark baldwin

06-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING
you might not get wayne at every national but if you need help with pep i bet you could find mark baldwin

Yeah but pulling him away from Tim Farr would be pretty tough... :p

kgbg
06-03-2004, 09:03 AM
There is no doubt that PEP, TCS, Elka, and Axis make great shocks, and saying one is better than the other is like saying Ford is better than Chevy and Dodge.
I have to agree with Rico, Elka is doing things that will and are making their shoks better, and eventually will trickle down to the other manufaturers, or they will be out of business.
Elka's service after the sale (at the races), time of delivery, and ionvolvement in the sport is amazing. They deserve much credit.
If I had not had the situation I did, which obligated Baldwin to hook me up on my LT shocks (BTW I can't say enough good about Baldwin and the way he delt with my problems), I would have defiently tried out Elka.

toomeyshee87
06-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by macsolocam
From what I hear wayne just does the valving and ships the rest to them to assemble.

i am pretty sure that wayne and rodney is it? do all of the work....they dont ship them from one coast to another to assemble. because i was on the phone with wayne at the same time that he was ASSEMBLING my shocks and when i asked him if i could get a different color of springs he said he would hafta send my springs back to the powdercoater...plus that would be a crapload of headaches and money shipping all of those shocks back and forth all the time....

my package also said cali on it

300extreme#8
06-03-2004, 05:12 PM
where do yall order them from ,has anyone tried danacreechracing.com or is it still slow gettin them from there also

pa_countryboy
06-04-2004, 08:14 AM
When I ordered mine from baldwin a couple of weeks ago, the ladie on the phone told me that Mark builds them.

Pappy
06-04-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by INFANTRY RACING

I doubt you or any purchaser will have any trouble with PEP shocks. They are an excellent shock with the biggest trouble being ship and build time. Other then that, once you get them there are numerous companies that can make any changes or adjustmets for you at a way faster time frame then PEP. Derisi, Baldwin, Quadshop etc can all rebuild, revalve & respring PEP suspension.

I myself would never buy a NEW set of PEP's. Id find a deal on a used set , then send them off and have them redone for me.

As far as Elka goes, all the haters should close the gums and open thier eye's to what Elka is doing for it's customers and its supported riders.

Noone can tell you what to buy, only offer suggestions and facts based on thier OWN expierences. It gets kind of comical listening to people that have only owned 1 set of aftermarket shocks and have no real seat time on any other brand that was purposly set up for them, only a brief ride on a friends quad.

The expense of suspension is hefty and should be considered like any other major purchase. Do some research and buy the ones that meet what you feel is the best value.

redrunner
06-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Been talking to Eric at Elka on my build as late as yesterday and we ran into some issues, I was trying to get them for next weekend was kinda bummed. Talked to him today and they are maching up the parts now to see if they can deliver in a week!!!! Now that is customer service.

Oh yeah thanks to Colby at C&D too:D

INFANTRY RACING
06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
i think all the elka lovers need to try peps before they knock them.

as for elkas i am droping my quad off at mx tech monday and jeremys gonna make sure to get all that he can outta my suspension for me. he's great at bikes. i hope hes good with quads too

dreth
06-05-2004, 07:49 AM
its not about hating on another brand, its about shocks are alot of money a few of us just want some opinions on what people like or dislike about different brands before we mortgage our home to be able to buy them. so we just want what everyone wants , when that package shows up from ups we want to feel that the money , hard work , and time was worth it .

so lets not fight over whos the best , lets say what we feel makes this or that shock so special.

THANKS

mxgirl
06-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Patience is tough, especially when it's been 6 months.

I originally ordered my PEPS (Limited Mass) in 2001 from Denton Racing and got them in a week. Denton told me the ZPS's were on a 6 month back log. The Limited Mass has similar valving, but the ZPS sit lower. I sent them back to Denton earlier this spring to have them rebuilt for my +3/+1 TBR a-arms as ZPS. Denton sent them to Wayne and I was told it would be 1-2 weeks. It took 3˝ - 4 weeks and I called Denton after the 1st 2 week time frame. Denton told me that Wayne is very difficult to get a hold of, apparently Wayne and his son build the shocks and have more business then they can handle at times. Denton told me the best way to get a hold of them was to fax Wayne and pester him (but be careful about getting on his bad side). Denton was less than impressed with Wayne's lack of response to his company and ours and told me that they were considering not advertising PEPS for rebuilds, just new. Weller Racing also had to fax Wayne countless times to get shocks for their customers. You will totally love them once you get them, sorry it's taken so long... it sucks waiting. The biggest concern is having all that money sitting in someone else's pocket and not knowing when the shocks are going to show up.

lrdz400
06-07-2004, 09:49 AM
i ordered my pep maby 3 week ago from baldwin. It says it will take 6-8 week. But from pep directly it takes around 3 months

XANDADA
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by lrdz400
i ordered my pep maby 3 week ago from baldwin. It says it will take 6-8 week. But from pep directly it takes around 3 months

Baldwin may say 6-8 weeks but I'd be willing to say the wait will still be 3 months+. Everything he has ever done for me has taken a looooong time. Easily double whatever he tells you. I'm not saying his work is bad at all - he just wears a different kind of watch than I do...:D

TC426EX
06-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Nah, while I believe you in your situation, Baldwin has always had my stuff done on time. He told me 3 weeks to service my shocks and get the rear re-sprung and revalved for an extended swingarm, and he called me 3 weeks to the day with them. Mark is a good guy to deal with as far as my experience goes. Wayne built my shocks originally in '01 and even then it took around 8 weeks to get them. Hes probably worse noiw, but generally speaking, baldwin is better to deal with for sure....