PDA

View Full Version : Oiling the filter

Lorduss
03-22-2002, 07:53 PM
hey guys, cleaned my filter today, didnt have a motorcycle foam oil so we just used motor oil, i know most oils are ok but is motor oil ok for foams ? its the same stuff i changed the oil with. i got the outter foam with a nice amount in it. just want to make sure im not like disolving my foam. thanks.

plus whats a good method of spreading the oil in the foam evenly ? i found it kinda hard, considering size and shape and just not wanting to break it.

03-22-2002, 10:03 PM
UM....... wash it again and use the foam filter oil

to apply it to the filter: remove the metal cylinder thing( cant think of term) then spray a descent amount of outside of filter, place it in a med sized zip loc and start squishing it in.... while keeping your hands clean. then put it back together. your done

Lorduss
03-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Why wash it out ? its oil, it well work,
i just dont want it melting the foam,
theres no point in spending alot of money on filter oil when other oils work perfectlly fine, i run RC cars, no one i know is stupid enough to buy Filter oil for our filters, most use marvel mistery oil or other thick cheap oil.

Red Rooster
03-23-2002, 06:46 AM
I used to use motor oil but it all bled to the bottom of the filter. and it driped out. I decided I should have some filter oil lest I had to rebuild my motor prematurely.

03-23-2002, 10:45 AM
i used to use motor oil on my foam filters and never had a problem. it just takes longer to work it through than using the spray on stuff. if you had it bleed to the bottom, you were using too much. great idea with the ziplock, i never considered that.

Red Rooster
03-23-2002, 02:30 PM
I was squeezing as much out as I could. The top of the filte would be dry!

03-23-2002, 06:15 PM
well if your gonna use motor oil for your air filter anyways then why ask if it will hurt it... obviously you already know what your gonna do and from what you posted you've done it. good luck

Lorduss
03-25-2002, 01:52 AM
well the reasion i asked is because i wanted to know motor oils effect on the foam because i know foams are different, i dont use motor oil on my other foams for my Rc cars because i think it stinks, and its much easyer to use marvel mystery oil. because thats exactly what they sell you in the bottles of filter oil, especially since it has a plesant smell, and is easyer to clean up, and out of filters, also because i want my other foams much more often than i do with my quad,oils have different detergents, i just wanted tomake sure i wasnt melting my foam because ive heard it happenes.

thanks for the info fatboy, whats your application method ? because mine sucks. truly. its hard to spread.

ChadEXer
03-25-2002, 08:24 AM
I have always heard to NEVER use motor oil on a air filter. i dont know why though!!!

400exdad
03-25-2002, 08:55 AM
When I was a kid I used motor oil on my filters. Seemed to work fine and when I was at Loretta Lynns 2 years ago, I used some motor oil (in a tight) on my sons LT80. However, since I have been using filter oil over the last few years since I got into quads, I have only used one brand. And it is nothing like Marvel Mystery Oil. I use Bel Ray Filter Oil and it is some of the tackiest, stickiest stuff I have ever seen. I would think it would hold the dust that comes into contact with the filter not allowing it to go into the motor. I would still use the motor oil if I was in a tight, but for common practice, I would use what's designed to really catch the dirt. Fitler oil is cheap when you compare the cost of a topend.

03-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Lorduss
Why wash it out ? its oil, it well work,
i just dont want it melting the foam,
theres no point in spending alot of money on filter oil when other oils work perfectlly fine, i run RC cars, no one i know is stupid enough to buy Filter oil for our filters, most use marvel mistery oil or other thick cheap oil.

Oh yeah,,I know I use motor oil for my air filter and foam filter oil for motor oil in my truck..:huh :huh :confused:

03-25-2002, 12:59 PM
------>Lorduss

Look, you asked and we responded. 4.00 for a can of filter oil is not much when it comes to replaceing hundreds of dollars worth of motor components because you feel okay about using motoroil instead. It probably wont eat your filter but why chance it ruining your motor or carb? Your way or the right way will be up to you. I hope when it comes to your engine oil, that you will use engine oil and not something that you think will work.

------->Rico

LOL... :macho

JOEX
03-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Awhile back, someone on this forum said that motor oil doesn't have a certain componet in it that keeps the oil suspended within the filter. My $.02

Joe

Lorduss
03-27-2002, 04:37 PM
then filter oil it is...