PDA

View Full Version : 416 Kit - 39mm FCR Carb?

Crowdog
03-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Has anyone out there installed a 416kit with a cam, rode it for a while and then installed a 39mm FCR?

If so, could you tell the difference? Does the 416 need a bigger carb?

jcv400ex
03-22-2002, 07:41 PM
Gabe has. ATC250R, I think is his screen name in here. Go over to www.hondaex.com he's the tech guy over there. You can send him an email about it.

It does add alot more power. CBRSLIDER is about to put his on. Right now he's running the stock carb without the choke. I know he has an extra throttle cable for one. It's a Honda cable. works with the stock throttle and hooks right up to the carb. The one that Sudco sells isn't as good as the Honda cable. I was going to put one on mine before I sold it, and I had him order me a cable at the same time.

86atc250r
03-22-2002, 09:47 PM
When I originally did my engine I used a JE 87mm 10.8:1 off the shelf piston. We lightened it by 10 grams.

I also installed an XR400 cam and had a little head work done.

Good improvements...

Then, a couple months later, I installed the FCR 39mm. It was like doing all my mods over again.

Crowdog
03-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info.

Where is the best place to buy one?

Do I need to get a special cable to make it work?

Any other info would be appreciated.

Jon

86atc250r
03-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Find CBRSlider on these forums - his cousin sells them for the best price I've heard of....

Use the OEM throttle cable from a TRX400 (utility quad)

03-25-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

Then, a couple months later, I installed the FCR 39mm. It was like doing all my mods over again.

Yeah thanks alot Gabe just keep talkin about the carb that way and I'm gonna be $400 poorer...:(

Crowdog
03-25-2002, 03:20 PM
The deal with CBRSlider's cousin is over. Any other thoughts on where to get one cheaper than $450?

Jon

EX 80
03-25-2002, 03:27 PM
I put my carb on after i did my 416, i thought it added more power than my cam an piston. I was impressed.

86atc250r
03-25-2002, 03:31 PM
I think LRD sells them for $425

Sorry Rico... The carb sucks - I get outrun by 300EX's now..

Crowdog
03-25-2002, 05:58 PM
http://www.lrdperformance.com/h-400ex.htm

LRD Carburetor Kits
LRD has developed the ultimate in carb set ups. LRD uses the Keihin design for its awesome power delivery, and it's hard acceleration that provides wining power. Its smooth bore design drastically improves air flow over stock and the accelerator pump prevents any loss of low RPM throttle response. This carb can be accommodated for any rider's needs, and will be jetted for any environment.

39mm FCR Keihin carb - $429.95
Throttle cable - $26.95

86atc250r
03-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Don't buy their throttle cable... You're paying about double for an inferior cable. Get the OEM cable I recommended.... Trust someone that's been there.

Crowdog
03-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Don't buy their throttle cable... You're paying about double for an inferior cable. Get the OEM cable I recommended.... Trust someone that's been there.

Thanks. I will make sure it is a TRX400 utility quad throttle. Will it work with a thumb throttle?

Jon

86atc250r
03-25-2002, 10:12 PM
It's working on my quad & thumb throttle right now.... It will be a little long, but so will the motion pro one that they'd send you.

I can dig up a part number if you need one - they're less than $20 from servicehonda... If you wanted you could look up the partnumber yourself on partsfiche.com

CBRSLIDER
03-25-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey I'll talk to my cousin tomorrow and see what the best price is that he can sell the FCR for. I don't think that it will be much better than say 410-420. But I'll see what I can come up with. I'll get back to this post tomorrow.

later
Ray

Foxrage
03-26-2002, 04:04 AM
CBRSLIDER
is there any difference between yours and the one sparks or lrd is selling?

twisted threads
03-26-2002, 04:41 AM
86atc250r I tried to find the part # for that cable on servicehonda and I could not find it could you get the part # for me please? I need a cable for my carb

shockwave67
03-26-2002, 05:24 AM
The best cable you can buy is the one from Powroll
It is custom made(by them) just for the FCR on the 400ex, It is the Perfect length and its about $15. The other ones from motion pro and others are a foot too long and pull apart IE you can grab the cable and rev the bike! Dangerous. CT racing sells carb under $400 and carb parts warehouse is around $425-450. Sparks sells them,LRD,Sudco, check around for best price.
If you dont mind a pain in teh butt installation, the Lectron makes more HP and is like $250.

CBRSLIDER
03-26-2002, 07:05 AM
The honda cable part # that can be used with the FCR is 17910-HM7-000
This can be ordered from servicehonda. That's where I ordered mine.

Haven't made it to my cousin's yet to see what he can do for prices.

Ray

CBRSLIDER
03-26-2002, 11:18 AM
Best my cousin can do is $425 plus shipping. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Ray

86atc250r
03-26-2002, 11:51 AM
I would be very surprised if the Powroll's cable is better than Honda's OEM cable. I agree that the Motion Pro cable is no good though...

The OEM Honda cable is VERY high quality - it's a little long, but that doesn't cause any installation or mechanical problems whatsoever. Just a little extra cable under your plastic..

The custom cables I've seen are usually not up to par compared to what a Honda OEM cable is.

shockwave67
03-26-2002, 12:13 PM
The only RIGHT length cable is from Powroll. Ive tried all the others.I dont want any slack under my plastic or hanging out up top of my plastic. The more unneccessary cable you have, the more of a bind it can get in. The Powroll fits better than the stock one that came on the bike. If you like the honda one more power to you. I was just letting people know what I had found.
Later

Crowdog
03-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
Best my cousin can do is $425 plus shipping. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Ray

Does $425 included the cable? If not, can he get the TRX400 cable too?

Jon

twisted threads
03-26-2002, 01:03 PM
shockwave67 have you tried or do you know any one who has tried to put a Lectron carb on? I bought one and it was a pain in my neck! Just wouldnt fit right so I sold it and bought a 39mm FCR but dont have a cable for it yet. I know that the Keihin is more money but I think I did the right thing but I sure that the lectron is a good carb for the 400ex but you lose lots of bottom end with that carb and the bottom end is were the 400ex is best.

400exRacerX
03-26-2002, 01:20 PM
The lectron carb is a POS in my opinion. You have to slide the hole airbox assembly up one inch to accomodate the shorter carb.

twisted threads
03-26-2002, 01:26 PM
400exRacerX that is what I was tring to say being nice.:D

CBRSLIDER
03-26-2002, 04:27 PM
No 425 doesn't include the cable. He could probably get it for you but I don't know how much he would charge. The carb comes with the necessary adaptors and jets. I have not tried mine out yet. I was doing some timed runs against my buddy's 425 so we kept mine with the stock carb. Can't wait to try it.

Let me know if you need any contact info.

Ray

86atc250r
03-26-2002, 04:34 PM
shockwave67 - have you REALLY tried them all?

I've tried both the motion pro and the Honda OEM cable - I have ZERO complaints with the Honda cable - I don't have extra cable sticking out anywhere, or hanging under my plastic. It's all tucked away neatly..

My throttle works great with no binding and has been doing so for over a year now on the stock Honda cable in a cross country racing environment.

The OEM cable is very well made and is lasting really well. I'd like to see Powroll's cable - do you have a pic?

03-26-2002, 06:27 PM
the lectron carb might make a tiny bit more power but they are a pain to dial in. Also they dont have the low end the fcr has. Thats why they rated the fcr higher than the lectron.

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 08:43 AM
The Lectron carbs are the best carbs available today. they make more power than all the others and are the easiest to adjust of all of them.(not to mention they are much cheaper than the rest) they are adjusted by a needle only. if you cant learn to do that then you need to enroll in Special ED classes. Tom custom makes needlse for the carbs and guarantees they will be dialed in perfectly when you get them and you will never have a problem out of them.
400EX racer,,do some research, all aftermarket carbs are shorter. the Lectron is a little shorter than the others but not by too much. I just had my aluminum box built 1 inch longer. If you cant make a small 1 inch metal spacer you too need to enroll in Special ED classes and you dont deserve the extra power of a carb!!
Tom Carlson, one of the best engine builders today, says the Lectrons are best, i trust him over the little hear say opinions some of you guys have!!

JhallettEX
03-27-2002, 09:12 AM
I love how you just ket your true feeling out Chad. Ever thaught about being a Lawyer. lol

86atc250r
03-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Oh man... Here we go again....

Actually not all aftermarket carbs are "shorter" than stock.

The FCR fits without any modifications & works great. You don't even have to set it at the 1:00 position to make it fit...

I don't know what Tom's deal is with Lectron, but if you search around the net a little (outside of the ATV world) you'll find that Lectrons are pretty well universally hated by everyone except Tom Carlson.

I've also heard from quite a few of Toms customers that are unhappy with the Lectrons they've been sold. Some of the recurring complaints I've heard over the past 4 years are - They are difficult to tune, they are touchy, they need constant maintenance, they puke fuel, they are inconsistant, they don't have an accelerator pump, they require constant cleaning, and many times they don't idle.

When questioned about things like idling problems, usually the response goes something like: "it's a race engine and race carb, it's not supposed to idle" -- that's BS in my humble opinion.

The FCR fits and works great. It is used on EVERY OEM high performance 4 stroke on the market today. On bikes like the CRF450R, the YZ426F, the YZ250F, the DRZ400, the KTM520, etc, etc.... You NEVER hear people with these bikes swapping out their FCR's for Lectrons. There's really good reason.

Also, the FCR is the top choice for carbureted crotch rocket bikes.

Believe what you want, but the Lectron was designed in the 70's and is a "gimmicky" carb with it's lack of adjustment in the name of being "easy to tune". Personally the lack of proper adjustability kinda scares me.... If you want to blindly trust somone's opinion, go for it. I was given a brain of my own to use - So I do my research, test products, and form my own opinions. Who knows what Tom's motivation is behind his use of Lectron, maybe that's what he "cut his teeth" on and hasn't bothered learning the intricacies of some of the other carbs out there - some folks are very set in their ways & use what works for them....

Best carbs available today - hardly... If you really want a Lectron design carb, go with the Edelbrock, it's an updated Lectron & includes an accelerator pump, something required on a 4 stroke carb if you don't want the "4 stroke bog".

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 09:54 AM
I dont like Lawyers:D I just hate when people get on here with that hear say crap. My brothers mothers cousins aunts dads grandmother has a Lectron and cant get it jetted so they are a POS
Shut your fuggin uneducated *****es up:D

03-27-2002, 10:39 AM
I have no experience with any aftermarket carb,,,but my racing buddy (chris29) has a TC racing built 416 national motor,,,nice motor,,,but anywho,,,it took them almost all last race season to get their lectron tuned, dialed, setup or whatever you want to call it,,and yes it puked red 110 octane all over the motor and stained it, had to maintance the thing every week i think, they have to take it out and clean it all the time, etc...I'm sure the added power this carb gives is great,,but when I see us at the races and chris29's throttle is jacked up and and carb doesn't let the quad idle or let it run at all for that matter,,it does make me wonder,,I'm not pulling sides here,,but that just seems like a lot of crap to go thru for a high dollar aftermarket carb. Chad I think you'll be happy with the carb no doubt, and it appears your gonna become a master lectron tuner but if that's how TC builds his engines is with a lecton than stick with it,,I can get a lectron carb new for $200,,but from what I've seen with my own eyes and from what I read I'll probably save up for an FCR.

Lets keep the rest of this post clean,,so it doesn't get locked..

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 11:37 AM
OK Rico now im crying:( I did not need to hear another horror story about the Lectron carbs. Whats wrong with you:mad:
I dont want a carb thats gonna give me fits. Tom said it will be dialed in when I get it and I will never have any problems out of it but If you know somebody with his motor work and he is having problems with it then that is scarring me!!! What do I do, what do I do

03-27-2002, 11:59 AM
Well chris29 and his brother in law,,now have the technique down and love the carb,,,I guess it's a patiance thing,,,which I have no patiance. I don't like dialing in carbs either,,,I wouldn't worry about it,,,It's just gonna take you some time to get used to it and before long you'll be able to tune that sucka in no time. I did not want to discourage you in any way,,I just wanted to add what little info I have on the lecton carb subject...I would ask TC for a complete book on the thing and keep it with the quad at all times,,,,ESPECIALLY when you go riding..did you send him your throttle housing too so he could drill out the throttle stop inside the housing??

86atc250r
03-27-2002, 12:05 PM
That's another thing that turns me off on the Lectron... Increased throttle throw. The Edelbrock suffers the same problem.

Not only does this require modification to your thumb throttle, it increases thumb fatigue.

One of the best things you can do for thumb fatigue in my experience is shortening the throttle throw - this puts the thumb in a more natural position more of the time, as well as gives you much more flexability in throttle mounting position. Since switching over to the FCR, I haven't had any trouble with thumb fatigue - and now when I ride a 400EX with the stock carb, I notice the difference more than ever....

JustRace
03-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Chad if you do need to grind out the throttle housing when you get it back I have a stock one sitting around that you could use. I went with the twist throttle on the edelbrock carb.

ChadEXer
03-27-2002, 01:52 PM
I was just going to grind it myself. I will try the carb and see how it works. if i dont like it I will get an FCR. Rico and Gabe thanks for your help. When someone has experience with something Im glad to hear from them. I hate this hear say crap you get from most guys.
Thanks
Chad

twisted threads
03-29-2002, 01:41 PM
ChadExer I was going to tell you before you grind out your thumb throttle I used a stock 250r thumb throttle on my old lectron it seemed like it would work fine on the 400ex's with a Lectron carb. Yes I did get rid of it because I heard to much bad thing and it scared me so I got a FCR.:eek: But I think either carb will work great for your bike, but the lectron mite be little different at first but you will get use to it.

Good luck!
:D

ChadEXer
03-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks twisted! i am hoping for the best with the carb. Tom is assuring me I wont have a problem!