PDA

View Full Version : Broken color bone

hapychap
05-31-2004, 04:19 AM
Greetings all. I am a Honda fanatic, why? Well I have been riding a 400ex for 3 years without a days problem. I was initialy very concerned as the bike being an air cooled and living in a desert region where tempretures in the summer range from 100degs to 120f.
But I just got my new 450r and a week old and the second ride and I flipped it over forwards at about 75mph (full taps, long flat open gravel stretch).
What is totaly amazing is the very little damage to the bike considering the speed, terrain and my weight. Only steering shaft and rear grab bar totaly wrecked, even the front headlight does not even have a scratch:eek2:

I was not so fortunate though, broken color bone, broken rib some serious "gravel rash" and a desintegrated helmet.

I know broken bones and ribs are probably the most frequent "consequinces" of a tumble, but how long do you think it will take to mend? I know the first question is going to be depending on the break and the second remark will be it differs from person to person. The bone is broken with 2 'floater' pieces but I would not say a serious break.

Comments please?

Remember HONDA RULES!!!! and bones heal ..... eventualy .... I hope .... will they?

:uhoh: :uhoh::D

chucked
05-31-2004, 07:24 AM
remember, bones heal, parts dont!

hapychap
05-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by chucked
remember, bones heal, parts dont!

As long as they heal.

So what is the top secret stuff you have on your ride? :huh

chucked
05-31-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by hapychap
As long as they heal.

So what is the top secret stuff you have on your ride? :huh

top secret stuff

sparky450AR
05-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Last year my dad broke his collar bone, while jetting a new POS FCR carb on his 416. It; like yours, broke in two places. We thought it would be a fast heal and they could just pin it if not. We hunted for the best bone doctor in the whole city of indianapolis, he told us that we should not pin it because it may not hold right with the two breaks, and it would be a very difficult surgery, no gaurantees. So to sum this up, he couldnt ride for about six months, his shoulder locked up because he couldnt move it enough while he was in the sling.

He has finnaly now gotten his shoulder freed, so he can move it above his head without screaming in pain, and he can ride now....but not like he used to. He can still feel the break.

Now on the other hand, my 17 year old cousin broke his collar bone playing football, he only broke it in one place,,,,,and he was back like new after 6 weeks.

I still think the best thing for my dad was to try to pin it, instead of waste a year of his life. BUT doctors orders!

Good luck!!

Chanman420q
05-31-2004, 11:26 AM
i broke my collar bone, like right in the center, it got pushed back and cracked. took like 12 weeks to heal fully, but after 8 i was pretty good to move it around, but damn those first 2 weeks were the worse thing ever, its like u dont even have an arm.

airheadedduner
05-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I was riding 4 weeks after a 5th gear tumble on my R. Doctor wouldn't clear me to work till after 8 though:rolleyes: It still bothers me becuase there where a lot of small fragments and healed weird.

Narly R
05-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Well i broke mine 3 weeks ago this thursday, I was ridding the warrior and kodiak a little today, that didnt hurt the collar bone, but I had my apendix taked out a week ago, so i have a cut, and a hole in my stomach, and that hurts a little, nothing that wont heel, I cant ride anyways, cause my bike is all torn down, so its ok.... I guess..... I think i will cry if I cant ride though, but man, let the bone heal then ride. It will be worth the wait. I have had lots of trouble taking it easy....

:(

hapychap
06-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
Last year my dad broke his collar bone, while jetting a new POS FCR carb on his 416. It; like yours, broke in two places. We thought it would be a fast heal and they could just pin it if not. We hunted for the best bone doctor in the whole city of indianapolis, he told us that we should not pin it because it may not hold right with the two breaks, and it would be a very difficult surgery, no gaurantees. So to sum this up, he couldnt ride for about six months, his shoulder locked up because he couldnt move it enough while he was in the sling.

He has finnaly now gotten his shoulder freed, so he can move it above his head without screaming in pain, and he can ride now....but not like he used to. He can still feel the break.

Now on the other hand, my 17 year old cousin broke his collar bone playing football, he only broke it in one place,,,,,and he was back like new after 6 weeks.

I still think the best thing for my dad was to try to pin it, instead of waste a year of his life. BUT doctors orders!

Good luck!!

OUCH!!!!! I was hoping for some encouragment and good news. Seems like I have a 50/50 chance of being up and about in a short while. :(

But reading your 'family' history on broken bones, I recon someone in your family should become a bone doctor, they would survive on family memebers alone!! ;)

hapychap
06-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i broke my collar bone, like right in the center, it got pushed back and cracked. took like 12 weeks to heal fully, but after 8 i was pretty good to move it around, but damn those first 2 weeks were the worse thing ever, its like u dont even have an arm.

:D I can attest to those first 2 weeks. The worst part was going to the toilet. Won't go into details but I was determined to never have to ask ANYONE for help!!! :D

I am sure that it will be good in 12 weeks. Thank goodness it is summer now and the temps never drop below95*F day or night and the bike still needs to get fixed so for other reasons I am not to eager oe even able to ride just yet.

What is interesting that 3 different doctors all gave different advice and course of action. That is disconcerting. :eek:

hapychap
06-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
Well i broke mine 3 weeks ago this thursday, I was ridding the warrior and kodiak a little today, that didnt hurt the collar bone, but I had my apendix taked out a week ago, so i have a cut, and a hole in my stomach, and that hurts a little, nothing that wont heel, I cant ride anyways, cause my bike is all torn down, so its ok.... I guess..... I think i will cry if I cant ride though, but man, let the bone heal then ride. It will be worth the wait. I have had lots of trouble taking it easy....

:(

:blah: Thats good advice. I am keeping my arm in a sling during the day to prevent me from straining it or twisting it in a way the healing bones do not like. Get all wrong sometimes and if it isn't a BURNING sensation like hot coals then it is the pricking sensation as if the broken bones are digging into fleash.

But seeing some of the responses on the forum, I think I have gotten off lite compared to some of them or maybe the doctors here are not as "cautious" as your doctors there.

Thanks for the encouragement though!! ;)

LTandRaptorider
06-01-2004, 12:46 AM
I broke mine about 18 years ago on my first quad, a Suzuki 230. I still have some pain. The worst was sleeping right after it broke... I like to sleep on my side.

I'm still waiting to see if I recovered from the head trauma... :o :blah:

brian-250
06-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider

I'm still waiting to see if I recovered from the head trauma... :o :blah:

nope:o

LTandRaptorider
06-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by brian-250
nope:o

A diagnosis from Dr. Brian... :rolleyes:

And I can imagine the answer to your "Can I Date Your daughter" question... ;) :blah:

hapychap
06-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
A diagnosis from Dr. Brian... :rolleyes:

And I can imagine the answer to your "Can I Date Your daughter" question... ;) :blah:

HEY :eek2: from bikes and broken bones to daughters :confused:

Am I on the right forum? :blah: :D hahaha