PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Electrical Problem

rcwrules
05-30-2004, 05:58 PM
400EX Electrical problem: For starters, the quad is able to run when jump started. The light switch was quirky and often had to be played with in order to stay on. I had the assmebly apart to inspect the switch itself and noticed some exposed copper on one of the wires. I put everything back together and thats when the problem grew from a light switch not working to a problem with the electrical system.

There are no lights including the neutral light when the ignition is turned on. Nothing at all, it it just DEAD. If I play with the light switch when the motor is running (from a jump start) all the lights flicker and the quad runs fine. OIbviously I need a switch assembly, but is that it? Is something else shorted? What do I need and what will it cost?

cals400ex
05-30-2004, 07:03 PM
could the battery just be dead?

rcwrules
05-31-2004, 06:25 AM
I dont thinkThe Battery is dead. It was starting up fine untill i took off light switch assembly. There may be a short.

khen
05-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Do you have a multimeter? With a multimeter and a wiring diagram you could find out for sure what's up. Sounds like it's just the switch to me, but it's odd that it will start with a jump and not with your battery.. are you jumping to the EXs battery terminals or are you jumping to the starter and bypassing the starting circuit?

400EXracer74
05-31-2004, 09:23 AM
iu have had a lot of electrical problems with my quad too. first the nuetral light went and it was blowing fuses so i disconnected it. you dont really need a nuetral light anyways. then it ran ok for a while untill the fuse kept blowing whenever i turned on the lights so i dis connected them too cuz im planning on getting a hood as soon as i have money. and i never ride at night so thats not really a problem either. and as soon as i do that im gonna get rid of my little control panel and just put a starter switch on the bars and use my teather for a kill switch. and then im gonna go through the 4 wheeler and rip out all the wiring i dont need so hopefully it will run fine for the rest of its life as fasr as wiring goes.

400Riderex
05-31-2004, 07:04 PM
i had the same problem.......excatly the same.. my wires were just loose

HiZ
06-01-2004, 09:11 AM
I know that there is also a weakspot on the Headlight for shorts! You may want to look at that, you have to flip one of the brackets upsidesown and that does it! I wish that I had a healight asembly on mine so that I could remeber! Anyone HELP me out!

throwinitup
06-01-2004, 09:59 AM
well i am having the same problem right now...i just went out and bought a new battery, i tried charging the old one, the charger said it was charged but the solienoid clicked and N light went out when i hit the starter button, so i figured the battery was shot i cleaned the terminals and all that nothing still i dont get it... oh well ...hope the battery was it b/c if i spent $75 for nothing im going to be a bit p-o'd we'll find out here in a couple hours when its done charging

rcwrules
06-02-2004, 05:29 AM
Where would the wires be loose? In the switch assembly?