PDA

View Full Version : is it a float bowl issue??????

QuadJunkies
05-30-2004, 01:06 PM
well, we got the mini finally dialed in on jetting I think, runs sweet from bottom to top..The only issue now were having is...... when its at any angle or slight hill, it floods out:huh .......Its has a 28mm flattside Carb in it right now,any ideas ???/ Maybe a float Adj needs made????what else would cause this we should check???Thanks!!

quadfamily
05-30-2004, 06:30 PM
sounds like the needle & seat. It's either got a piece of dirt in it, it's worn or it's defective.

QuadJunkies
05-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
sounds like the needle & seat. It's either got a piece of dirt in it, it's worn or it's defective. I sure hope not......we havent even ran it yet.........:mad:

What do you mean maybe the seat?????

quadfamily
05-31-2004, 07:01 AM
All I'm saying is that it sounds like fuel is going past the needle & seat. Anytime a fuel bowl overflows it's most likely the needle & seat is not adjusted properly or there is a problem with it. There is really no other reason a fuel bowl could overflow. Sometimes when you're putting something new together you can even get a particle in the seat just from cutting a new piece of fuel hose. It only takes a minute piece to make it stick open. And if it does happen to get past the needle & seat it will most likely clog the pilot jet or even the main jet at some point in time.

Hammer trx450r
05-31-2004, 08:05 AM
i would think if it was something hanging it up wouldn't you have fuel coming out of overflow at idle? Was this ever a problem with the carb before? I'm thinking worn or defective needle or seat also. But float check is definatly not ruled out. recheck the install of the float and needle.

QuadJunkies
05-31-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
i would think if it was something hanging it up wouldn't you have fuel coming out of overflow at idle? Was this ever a problem with the carb before? I'm thinking worn or defective needle or seat also. But float check is definatly not ruled out. recheck the install of the float and needle. its was a used Carb we bought from them,but a new carb to us.We have never used it yet...:( The Co. that sold it to us sold it out of one of there race quads so I know it worked before we got it......:confused: Im sure they will take care of us since they are my DAughters sponosor this year,just thought I could get some things to check before I call them on Tues........

quadfamily
05-31-2004, 11:14 AM
I just re-read your first post and I was wondering what exactly you meant by "floods out"? Does it actually spill fuel from the overflow or what?

QuadJunkies
05-31-2004, 12:03 PM
I just re-read your first post and I was wondering what exactly you meant by "floods out"? Does it actually spill fuel from the overflow or what? Let me try and explain this a little better........

When its put in ANY upward angle, the motor would just fade and die....Its hard to explain really...Its not spilling any fuel so maybe its not floodin out, Im starting to wonder if its just running way too lean......:confused:
its got a 45 pilot in it right now and a 440 main.... and the needle was all the way down and those were the specs we were giving to run it with........We ran it with the choke on and it ran better,which leads us to believe that its too lean.....BUT......When we done a plug check with the choke on,plugged the plug and it hads raw fuel on it :confused: her mix was 70/1
And it seems like when the motor is freshly started,it runs pretty smooth,but after its warmed up it has a hiccup and the bottom,in the mid, and fades at full throddle.........

QuadJunkies
05-31-2004, 01:01 PM
I think we figured it out!!!!
With this new Carb. its a bit different than her stock one was.....
Stock was Automatic, and the new one is oppostie settings(on and off ) Was shutting it on instead of off:o the way its set up logic would say it should be set up the opposite on the carb...It seems to be running great now!!!!:blah:
Changed the jetting to a 450 main and 3/4 turn inward on the air mixrue screw.......

BlueZ440
05-31-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I think we figured it out!!!!
With this new Carb. its a bit different than her stock one was.....
Stock was Automatic, and the new one is oppostie settings(on and off ) Was shutting it on instead of off:o the way its set up logic would say it should be set up the opposite on the carb...It seems to be running great now!!!!:blah:
Changed the jetting to a 450 main and 3/4 turn inward on the air mixrue screw.......

I think is just the brownie that is working on it...lol..:D :blah:

QuadJunkies
06-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
I think is just the brownie that is working on it...lol..:D :blah: hahaha.......:p Ill be sure and tell you said that!!!:blah: This has been a HUGE learning experience for him and alot of time to make sure its dialed in properly.....We went out and tested it today..OMG that thing is FAST!!!!:eek2: :cool: I think she is ready to race.......:D

quadfamily
06-01-2004, 10:38 AM
I think Blue was talking about you Tina!

QuadJunkies
06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
I think Blue was talking about you Tina! LMAO.......:p
Brownie would be Troy since hes the brown man.....(Indian to be exact)

BlueZ440
06-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
LMAO.......:p
Brownie would be Troy since hes the brown man.....(Indian to be exact)

Brownie is not a Indian..his more like a Mexican..:blah:

QuadJunkies
06-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
Brownie is not a Indian..his more like a Mexican..:blah: LOL...No hes not!!!!!!:o you got the wrong brown man!!! We even nick named him"chief running quad":p

quadfamily
06-02-2004, 03:56 PM
oh my bad! I thought he was teasing you by referring to you as a brownie(girl scout type).

QuadJunkies
06-02-2004, 11:59 PM
oh my bad! I thought he was teasing you by referring to you as a brownie(girl scout type). LMAO!!!!!:p