PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Wheels Sport Tire review

08-26-2001, 03:01 PM
If you are planning on picking up the latest issue of Dirt Wheels for the Sport Tire Review--save your money.
The review was a total waste of space, ink and paper, IMHO. They wrote about a paragraph on each tire and never made any real suggestions on tire selection. Not even a comparison chart on wt, ht, # of plys, cost, etc... Really left a lot to be desired. Furthermore, they didn't even discuss some of todays most popular sport tires--where were the All-Traks?
This was a very lame attempt at a Sport Tire review and definitely hardly worth the time I spent reading it.
Personnally, I am beginning to think that Dirt Wheels is more interested in its advertisers than its readers! Maybe time to switch to SportATV magazine!

Foxrage
08-26-2001, 06:25 PM
I know i was disapointed also. I personally like the atv sport maggazine. they are more expensive and smaller but arent wasted space.

08-26-2001, 07:03 PM
I agree 100%. I was tempted to write the editor and complain about the review. It was useless. I was hoping for a comparison chart that would rate the tires based on different terrains and stuff like that. I get more info from the rocky mountain catalog. The grip report in the same issue is also not worth the time....
I hope the next issue gets back on track.:mad:

AlaskaSpeed
08-27-2001, 06:17 PM
I am in agreement too. I thought to myself...."what tire did they find to be the best?". At least I wasn't the only one disappointed in the review. They did make some negative remarks about the Bandit, Fast Trekker, etc....but I put the magazine down thinking that I am doing alright with my RAZR's. JIM

LiLMissHondaEx
08-27-2001, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Alaska_400EX
....but I put the magazine down thinking that I am doing alright with my RAZR's. JIM

We just got RAZR's on Friday and went up to Haspin to try them out. We played on the track a little then went trail riding...in some pretty muddy stuff....and I would have to agree!

coryatver
08-28-2001, 09:36 AM
Yeah they said that razrs have soft side walls and wear faster then other tires. My razrs have worn a lot slower than my stock tires did. They said that the Holeshots wear tough and puncture resistant and have hard sdewalls. They must have tested the 4 ply razr and the 6 ply holeshot. But what i don't get is they didn't say that holeshots will wear out after 3 rides.

crday98
08-28-2001, 10:44 AM
i was disappointed with the whole article.i agree with antiqueken,the all-traks are a very good tire and there was nothing said about them.the fact that razors wear faster than the holeshots is bullsh*t.there is no way what so ever.i have friends that have tried both and the razors last a lot longer.they only got a summer out of the holeshots.they might hold up good on some surfaces but not on all like the razors do.holeshots only good for racers that have sponsors and don't have to worry about buying their tires.

there was a tire shootout about 2 years back in one of the magazines that was pretty good.i know i was supposed to look for the issue for someone before but i will try to find it by friday.if i do find it i will try to scan and post it or at least post some of the info from it.

MikeL250X
08-28-2001, 12:30 PM
I agree, I really like my All-trac's I went for a 5 hour ride on sunday over BAD terrain, lots of pointy rocks, metal stuck in the ground, glass, etc and they held up great. Taking others advice I have some extra pressure in them since they are only 2 ply, and this still look brand new.