PDA

View Full Version : how do i get water out of my engine?

450R_lover
05-30-2004, 09:38 AM
Well, me and my friends went riding one night and ran into a flooded road. We tried to get through but it just kept getting deeper and deeper. I have a 450r and i tried to turn around but i went off into even deeper water pretty much over the whole four wheeler, and the engine died. i drained the air box and tipped it up on the back end trying to get some water out. I kicked it for about 20 min. and finally got it st arted. It shot out water out of the pipe and finally cleaned up and ran good enough to get me home. When i got home my engine oil and tranny oil were both whitish gray and i drained both of them. My question is whats the best thing to do to get all water and stuff out of the radiator and engine and everywhere?? i didnt know if it would get into the radiator or not.. just need some info please, my baby is a risk! thanks any suggestions are appreciated

TCracin440ex
05-30-2004, 11:32 AM
you have to change the oil...start it up let it run...shut it off...change the oil again....and repeat the process untill the oil is no longer gray...might want to take the plug out and kick it over to blow anywater off the cylinder....drain the radiator, and any other kinda fluids it could have hurt....

Silver400EXinBR
06-05-2004, 08:17 PM
how can u do that to a 450r.. you can change the oil and keep dong it but it will never be the same again.. honestly since the 450 r is still pretty new.... I would get the oil to were its not whiteish anymore and sell it... becausebelieve me it will run good for a while but its going to come back and haunt you!!! But some people may think otherwise but i will jut tell u from experiance.... I hear thee is a way u can run dieasl through your motor to clean it out also.. Not for long but just to clean and rinse out your motor... much better than changing oil 5 times and still have a little but i am not sure of the exact process but it would be something to look into.. just my 2 cents tho

YFZRider718
06-10-2004, 02:32 PM
how can u do that to a 450r.. you can change the oil and keep dong it but it will never be the same again.. honestly since the 450 r is still pretty new.... I would get the oil to were its not whiteish anymore and sell it... becausebelieve me it will run good for a while but its going to come back and haunt you!!! But some people may think otherwise but i will jut tell u from experiance.... I hear thee is a way u can run dieasl through your motor to clean it out also.. Not for long but just to clean and rinse out your motor... much better than changing oil 5 times and still have a little but i am not sure of the exact process but it would be something to look into.. just my 2 cents tho

wow ur a moron..... ive done this numerous times on my old 99 300ex never changed the oil once when i did it and its still running today strong...... never rebuilt once.........

Silver400EXinBR
06-10-2004, 04:47 PM
well apparently u got lucky.... I guess where were from there is alot of sandin the water and mud.. and once sand gets in ur motor... u gonna tell me you not gonna change you oil??? that sand is just gonna eat ur wall away and not changing your oil after you drowning it out is a moronic act to me.... well i just said what i heard was done... there was no point and callin names or being a lil *****.. I was just saying what I heard was done...

Throttle_Junky
06-11-2004, 04:40 AM
Rough move with the goining for a swim, bet ya won't do that again. Well the oil flushing system is about as good as I know how to fix the problem. As that dude said you might mix abit of diesel in with your oil to see what it cleans out. (Key point 'A-BIT' NO more that half your oil) And did you know that automatic tranny fluid is like a SUPER detergent? perhaps try mixing ABIT in with your motor oil, It's up to you if you wanna try the transmission side, I don't know if it could hurt your clutch or not....
But for this summer I REALLY suggest you put the effort into changing the oil every time you go for a serious ride, like going out for more that 2 hours. this is what is going to do you the most good.

Wayne64SS
06-15-2004, 06:42 AM
I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE TRANNY EITHER BUT ITS AN OLD SCHOOL MECHANICS TRICK TO CLEANIN OUT AN OLD MOTOR BY PUTTIN TRANNY FLUID IN LIKE 50 50 WITH YOUR OIL AND IT'LL CLEAN THE **** RIGHT OUT OF IT.

balsterboi69
06-28-2004, 02:23 PM
yes u have 2 chage the oil many times then let it run for like 10 min then start revving it very high dont be afraid 2 hold the thumb lever all the way down just let off omce and a while u have 2 get the engin hot so more water evaps

TC426EX
06-28-2004, 07:03 PM
You just need to change the oil over and over again as everyone has said. It is the only way I have ever heard of. If you think there is ALOT of water in the cylinder I would try what the other TC said and remove your spark plug and turn it over to puke any of it out... Just gotta pick up a case of oil and keep changing. It could be worse man....

TCracin440ex
06-28-2004, 07:07 PM
i still want to know what kinda drugs this man smoked to get him to cross a flooded road with his BRAND NEW QUAD...musta been some heavy duty chit...cuz my quad dont even go near water

i mean man aint u ever watched the news...they said..if you see a flooded road....dont attempt to cross it

red2004 TRX450R
06-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Back in the day I left my 200sx in a swamp for a week under water till I could get it out.
This thing had a good 8 years of hard riding on it to.
Any way I just changed the oil like 5 times and letting it run couple of minutes each time then changed it like every 5 hours after that for like 3 times. I also drain the gas and cleaned the carp and other stuff like that. Its an 1987 and this happened in like 1997 and it still runs fine for my neighbor now. But i did sell it like a month after this happned.

I would do change your oil like 5 thime after the first couple of minutes then like 5 times like an hour for a wile.

Hondas never die!!!

just my .02$

Syrus
06-30-2004, 11:32 PM
I was out for a ride up north, and my 250ex got really muddy, so i dipped it into the river by where we were riding, all of a sudden my quad went a lil to deep at the front and started floating. Next thing i knew i couldnt back out fast enough and my quad went under, and it died, water rushing right into the engine. I tipped it up and drained it all, then got my dads Foreman to tow me for a while so the water would spit out. After a while it started right back up again and i rode for the rest of the day fine. changed the oil when i got home and ive never had a problem with the bike EVER. I dont think water in the engine will hurt a quad that bad, didnt do anything to mine.

But a 450r engine is different then a 250ex, and might damage easier.. i dont know, but like i said I never had a problem with it. Honda runs strong nomatter wat.

ewalker302
07-06-2004, 12:25 AM
I have waterlogged my old 250sx, (basically a sportier bigred), lots of times, I know it's not exactly a 450r, but i've seen it happen to lots of different bikes from tri-z's to timberwolves.

All I ever do is just limp back to my truck, and change the oil, maybe run a little through it first. Simple as that, your good to go.

You dont need to sell it, and you wont have enough water in your oil to begin to worry about till its time to change it again.

You dont need to worry about water in the cylinder, once it cranks, any moisture in there gets blown out/evaporates quick.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead & change it 10 times or run atf through it.

Where I have ridden for years, this is a common thing, I've done it and seen it done many times...........Since I got my 250sx in 86' I would say that i've drowned (oil tured to sandy milk) it at least 25-30 times. Now she looks beat as hell, but still runs like a champ, and never needed any engine work at all.

So anyway IMO don't worry about it.

:bandit:

450R_lover
07-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all your replys, She's runnin' strong and worry free. I changed the oil like 10 times in the engine side and like 6 times in the transmission side and all of the water is gone.
But, thanks again for all your help ;)