PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment

brianC400X
05-30-2004, 09:25 AM
How often do the valves need to be adjusted on a z and what is the clearence? Has anybody tried the hotcams setup? Either changed out the intake cam or both? I ride red but my old lady just bought herself a ltz400. I think she got a good deal on power and features. And she can sure roost me in reverse.

Billdog350
06-02-2004, 09:49 AM
The adjustment on the z400 is the bucket and shim design rather than the threaded adjuster like the Honda's have. The Honda's are FAR easier to adjust but from what I'm hearing, the Z's dont' need adjustment nearly as often. Two friends bought theirs at the same time and when they brought them in, the shop said that they were within spec and didn't need any adjustment. Another friend of theirs got the KFX and did need adjustment....I guess it depends on how much you ride, how clean your air cleaner is, and how often you change your oil...amoung other thigns. Usually you break in your machine and check the clearance after about 20-40 hours I believe. I have the manual on PDF so I can look it up for you if you need.

I'm looking to change the intake cam on mine soon, I wonder how much of a job it is. I know you need to remove the cam to adjust your valves so it makes sense if you have it ripped apart anyway....

brianC400X
06-02-2004, 10:17 AM
The dealership where she bought it wanted 120 bucks just to check em without adjusting. Since she just bought it they were willing to give her a $10 discount. woohoo! Last time I took my 400 to a dealership was the first time. And the last time. It was right after I got my stage 1 hotcam. They are naturally very noisy. At the time I thought I was doing something wrong. They charged me $143 to ruin 3 holes in my cylinder head and told me the vavle noise I was hearing was piston slap rather than valve noise. I got it home and put an engine stethescope on my head and jug and all the noise was from my valves and the piston sounded perfect. Everytime I drive by Powrolls Longview Motorsports I want to burn the place down. But I wont ever be gratified like that arson itsnt legal. DARN!

Dr. Quad
06-02-2004, 09:36 PM
the z400 has a gook cam and valve set up the book says to check them every 6 months it depends how much you ride they usually dont get out af adj. very often the clearance is 0.0039 to 0.0079 on the intake and 0.0079 to 0.0118 on the exhaust to adjust them you have to replace the shim under the bucket you will have to remove the cams to do it if you know what you are doing it is not a bad job if you dont be carefull if you mess up on the cam chain it could do a lot of damage good luck