PDA

View Full Version : what to get? 450r...yfz...

theTman
05-29-2004, 07:03 PM
ok.. ell next yr im gonna sell the 400 and take that money and the money i have from workin and either buy a YFZ or a 450R... my ? is what should i get? as much as i hate yamaha... the YFZ is pretty nice...and i could find em cheaper

HELP!!

JAS326
05-29-2004, 07:14 PM
It depends what you plan to use it for. I like the YFZ more for the track and the TRX more for the trails.

theTman
05-29-2004, 07:19 PM
well i mostly ride trails.. but ill be ridin tracks as well.. especailly in 2 yrs when im 16.. so i can race it:devil:

Kennethyfz450
05-30-2004, 06:35 PM
i came off my 400ex and bought a yfz 450 after owning the 400ex for 2 years i thought i had the best machine untill i rode a yfz i love this bike so much where my 400 would lug out the yfz is pulling hard, where my front end would come up my yfz is staying down..
the only thing i could do better on my 400ex is jump better than i can on my yfz i guess i am just used to it..

but then again if i could do it all over again i would get the honda cause the yamaha dealers aroaund here are pootangs and they hate picking up the phone much less work on a 4 wheeler they wanted to charge 150 dollars for labor to adjust the vavles .. .. :rolleyes:

the honda shop is about to adjust the vavles for me for 44.00 dollars i think.. :D :cool:

JWhite
05-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by JAS326
It depends what you plan to use it for. I like the YFZ more for the track and the TRX more for the trails.

Well I like my TRX more for trails and the track. I like my old YFZ right where it is..........down the road. :blah:

JAS326
05-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JWhite
Well I like my TRX more for trails and the track. I like my old YFZ right where it is..........down the road. :blah:

The TRX is a good track quad no doubt about it. It just feels to top heavy for my taste.

joe1l
05-30-2004, 10:59 PM
I finally got a chance to ride the YFZ this weekend. I like the bike, the speed feels similar to the 450R, but my TRX has alot more torque, you can lug the 450r in any gear and it will come right up for you. The YFZ will rev a little longer but if you add a rev box to the TRX, you'll be equal. We dragged raced only one time, my stock tires have barely any tread left, and he was running newer holeshots, anyhow he got of the line first and was about halph a bike in front of me, but we stayed like that untill the end of the race. He never got any more distance between us, our speeds were equal to the very end. We were topped out in 5th for at least 1/4 mile. Who ever got the holeshot in the drag or got off the line first, would be the winner of the race. His bike had the cam mod, intake, jetting and baffle removed. Anyhow, I liked the way the YFZ rode, and can now see why eveyone thinks the 450R is so light in the front, thats because the YFZ's fron't end doesn't go anywhere. Anyhow I really liked the YFZ but I couldn't see riding it for any long period of time. The bike felt a little cramped, especially for a taller rider. And my biggest complaint was after I got off the YFZ, my hands were almost numb. I did not expect the bike to vibrate as much as it did. The only bike that I have ridden that had near that much vibration was my buddy's 250R with a 425CC big bore kit. That kit also made over 80HP, so the vibration was expected, but honestly I think YFZ vibrates even more. :rolleyes: Other than that I see these two bikes as very similar bikes, that you wont go wrong if you went with either one.

theTman
05-31-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by joe1l
I finally got a chance to ride the YFZ this weekend. I like the bike, the speed feels similar to the 450R, but my TRX has alot more torque, you can lug the 450r in any gear and it will come right up for you. The YFZ will rev a little longer but if you add a rev box to the TRX, you'll be equal. We dragged raced only one time, my stock tires have barely any tread left, and he was running newer holeshots, anyhow he got of the line first and was about halph a bike in front of me, but we stayed like that untill the end of the race. He never got any more distance between us, our speeds were equal to the very end. We were topped out in 5th for at least 1/4 mile. Who ever got the holeshot in the drag or got off the line first, would be the winner of the race. His bike had the cam mod, intake, jetting and baffle removed. Anyhow, I liked the way the YFZ rode, and can now see why eveyone thinks the 450R is so light in the front, thats because the YFZ's fron't end doesn't go anywhere. Anyhow I really liked the YFZ but I couldn't see riding it for any long period of time. The bike felt a little cramped, especially for a taller rider. And my biggest complaint was after I got off the YFZ, my hands were almost numb. I did not expect the bike to vibrate as much as it did. The only bike that I have ridden that had near that much vibration was my buddy's 250R with a 425CC big bore kit. That kit also made over 80HP, so the vibration was expected, but honestly I think YFZ vibrates even more. :rolleyes: Other than that I see these two bikes as very similar bikes, that you wont go wrong if you went with either one.

wow.. what alot of info! thanks! in a way i want the yfz.. but i heard they catch on fire cuz of electrical probs.. is it just from the battery? if so would the kickstart mod save this problem? thanks eevryone!!!!

Scottie Mac
05-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by theTman
wow.. what alot of info! thanks! in a way i want the yfz.. but i heard they catch on fire cuz of electrical probs.. is it just from the battery? if so would the kickstart mod save this problem? thanks eevryone!!!!

OK, some dingus leaves his battery on charge for so long the battery explodes and it is the manufacturer's fault? No different than someone saying it is Honda's fault for cases cracking because the owner didn't read his manual and get the proper starting technique down.

As for reliability, if you keep up with your maintenance and take care of your machine, it will take care of you. I race locally and on the close Nationals and have seen very few problems with either the Honda or the Yamaha. I was a Birch Creek when the Yamaha's battery caught on fire, and I also saw another Honda case break and watched Mark Baldwin take pictures to send back to Honda.

If you want to make sure you purchase the quad that is right for you, make sure to test drive BOTH. That way the only person that matters in your decision, YOU, will decide. I don't think you can do wrong with either of the quads, but one may be better than the other FOR YOU.

Good luck,
Scott

Kennethyfz450
05-31-2004, 09:14 AM
scottie mac is right both quads are very nice just depends which one you feel most comfortable on... i am not going to lie i felt more comfortable on the honda setting still but when i test rode it i didnt like it..

i sit on the yfz for the first time i hated the way the front end was pointing down and the rear end was up sorta felt like i was going to fall off but then i rode it and it was identical to my 400 besides had more power and the front end stayed down a whole lot better.. i been up hills the last 2 weeks that my 400ex couldnt go up if you hit it wide open 2nd gear... the only people have been up it so far is a banshee,250r, 450r and my yfz.. and the hill has been there for 2 years.. so that has to say something..

i got a friend that said he would rather have the honda cause he said he looked smother on it , he could ride wheelies easier and get it up on its side two wheels easier.. he said it was just easier to do tricks on where as the yfz he stuggled doing a wheelie and reved it up to far. . (by the way he is not a hill climber just comes along with us he rides a z 400 now.. )

also with his baffles out an cam mod he should have beat you bad.. unless you have some mods done to the 450r, or you could have been the better rider..

anyhow what ever you pick dont goof up and pay to much , the 450r is 5699.00 i wouldnt pay a penny more , and as far as i know the yfz450 is still 5999.00..

05-31-2004, 09:46 AM
the trx is just a little bit top heavy in STOCK FORM b/c of the long front shocks...if you change your frotn shocks with some aftermarket ones you will have the best ATV ever..........

Scottie Mac
05-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Jumbo,

Why don't you grow up and stop posting that picture of the YFZ that caught on fire. EVERYONE on here has seen it, numerous times. How about every time you post that, I follow up with the pics of the TRX with half of its side case broken open? NO, that would be childish. You have been warned already by GUY400 for trying to start sh1t, how bout we grow up a little?

Now, to your incorrect post. Where do you get the TRX has long travel shocks? They are nearly identical in length to standard 400ex shocks. And while they can be adjusted for ride height, so can the YFZ shocks.

I don't mean to jump all over you, but when people ask questions about either of the two quads, they are generally looking for honest unbiased opinions, not flame causing comments.

Enjoy your TRX,
Scott

PS
Joe1l,
NIce post, the kind of information we are all looking to find.

theTman
05-31-2004, 02:09 PM
ok guys.. well we already have a 450r... and we allw ent for a ride today and i got to ride it down the trails quite a bit...and im set on the 450r... wherever i pointed it....it went.. wheelies no problem...i love the power and the suspension is great.. thanks everyone for the great info:cool:

Scottie Mac
05-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Good to hear. They only get better with mods.

Scott

joe1l
06-01-2004, 01:02 PM
also with his baffles out an cam mod he should have beat you bad.. unless you have some mods done to the 450r, or you could have been the better rider..

I have about equal mods done to my 450r, and like I said the race was even the entire way, except the fact he got off the line first. We weigh about the same too. I'm actually a horrible drag racer if anything. Now saying that he should have beat me bad is where the flaming begins!!!! Because this is just not true. To be honest, if I had my airbox lid off and a fresh pair of tires, i think i would be in front ...but not by much. My 450R definately has alot more torque but the YFZ can rev an extra 1000rpm so it pro's and cons, and its what will suit you more. The 450R is definately more comfortable for taller bigger riders like me, but the yfz is more aggressive for mx type racing. But with mods, either bike is equal. I really don't see any big technological edge with one over the other. to be honest, go to the dealer sit on both, and which ever one suits you, buy it and be happy!!

Hammer trx450r
06-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
the trx is just a little bit top heavy in STOCK FORM b/c of the long front shocks...if you change your frotn shocks with some aftermarket ones you will have the best ATV ever..........

I was waiting for someone to bring that pic in here:blah:
;)

Toadz400
06-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Well I finally saw a 450R in person today (besides racing with one and talking to the guy who owned it...) and was able to sit on it and check it out fully. Sadly, I was disappointed...

1. Does anyone have trouble with the hotstart lever? I was kicking it over and it seemed to only decompress 1 out of 6 times...Don't know if there is some other trick to it besides pulling the lever and kicking it over, when I kicked over a YZ426F quad it was pretty easy.
2. The front end seemed to be too short, not as in width though, but as in it seems like it'd be too easy to wheelie because it's not set forward was much.
3. The swingarm seems short, because the tires seem closer to the mudguards than they do on the YFZ (I had the YFZ sitting in front of it to compare my choices) so this looks like another thing that would cause it to wheelie easily.
4. The seat didn't feel very much different from the YFZ, even though I've heard the YFZ seat feels like a rock compared to the R.
5. The height disappointed me the worst, I was hoping it'd feel similar to my 400ex, but it feels even taller. I sat on a Raptor after I sat on the R and it felt like it'd be less tipsy.
6. I heard first gear seems too tall, and I love my bottom end power, but I guess that's nothing a $15 sprocket won't fix.
7. It said Honda on it.

jk about about 7 though.

After I had thought about all of the above, the R just didn't appeal to me very much...but then I thought about how the power must make up for all of the above. I'm still very interested in the R and I am pretty sure I will still be purchasing one later this summer when I get rid of the 400. Has anyone had any luck with doing a trade-in? I was thinking my 400 for the 450R (of course with extra money involved).

I'm not too worried about all the things that need fixing with the 450R as long as there aren't any mechanical problems, ie. engine flaws. Of course of I get a 450R I will end up dumping a bunch of money into arms, axle, swingarm, and shocks so none of that really matters. I was just disappointed to see that a race quad would need more money put into it just to make it acceptable for MX racing. Of course it kicks *** in stock form on the track, I would just feel a lot more comfortable riding a stock YFZ on the track than a 450R. Or maybe I'm just retarded and everyone will flame me. This is just my .02 but I'm still going with the Honda;) .

joe1l
06-01-2004, 11:11 PM
I sat on a Raptor after I sat on the R and it felt like it'd be less tipsy
Oh and you want people to take you serious with comments like this!!!:confused: Why must people flame!!!

1. Does anyone have trouble with the hotstart lever? I was kicking it over and it seemed to only decompress 1 out of 6 times...Don't know if there is some other trick to it besides pulling the lever and kicking it over, when I kicked over a YZ426F quad it was pretty easy
The 450R is kicks over easier than a blaster! so get real!!! And what does the hotstart lever have to do with the kickstart!!!:confused:

danyeo
06-02-2004, 01:10 AM

Hey Joe. I pretty much agree with everything you say. I didn't get to see you guys race. I actually wanted to race since my tranny has been shifting a lot better than that first time i raced you but of course my quad had to take a crap on me. Anyhow, after riding each quad it's really a tough choice, they are both really nice. It's funny how they feel different in how they make power but they are pretty close. The vibration on the yFZ didn't really bother me too much, i rode a Raptor once that was vibrating enough to make Jenna Jameson scream. I guess the brand loyal people will go with their brand but the people who are picky will have a tough choice to make. If you never go on a race track then the 450r might make a better choice. I just found a dealer selling brand new YFZ's for 5999 and i am very tempted. I do wish i could keep the Dale as it's pretty unique, handles great, and is fast as hell. But i can't keep that time bomb, i won't let it blow up on me again.

spincr4hire
06-02-2004, 07:00 AM
I finally rode a 450R last night, had the HRC kit, airbox mod & jetted, exhaust tip, and a few other mods. The power was pretty impressive, though it didn't feel like it had any 1st gear to it at all. I stalled it on the first attempt to take off, and reached for the starter button by habit. It does kick over fairly easily, though, and the brakes are second to NONE. Some vibration was there but not quite as bad as the YFZ, though he did have Renthal fat bars on it. The R seems to sit a little high for my taste, but the guy had 23" Razr 2s on the front, may have been part of the reason. I have also rode a YFZ with a full Curtis Sparks pipe, jetted. Its a toss up as to which I would choose If I had to. I think I like the feel of the YFZ for my size (I'm 5'8", 160#), I can see someone over 6' preferring the 450R. I think I'll hold on to my Z for a while longer.

Toadz400
06-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Oh and you want people to take you serious with comments like this!!!:confused: Why must people flame!!!

The 450R is kicks over easier than a blaster! so get real!!! And what does the hotstart lever have to do with the kickstart!!!:confused:

It was just my opinion, I wasn't flaming Honda...I love my Honda.

So what exactly is the hotstart lever for then? When I was kicking over a YZ426F it would absolutely not kick over unless I pulled the hotstart lever...so I assumed it was needed for the 450R to kick over also? See this is why I like my Banshee...no need to pull weird levers to make it start, just put the key in and kick it.

Scottie Mac
06-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Toad,

You are confusing the YZ426 compression release lever with the hot start lever on the HOnda. They are totally different. The YZ426 had a compression release lever on the handlebars, it allowed you to release the compressed air in the cylinder so you could kick it over to TDC. The hot start on the YZ426 is actually on the carb. The hot start on the Honda is on the handlebars, it allows fresh air enter to ease starting when the motor is hot. The Hondas I have ridden started without the hot start even after they were warm, but they were new. As time goes by and the motor gets some hours on it, you may have to use the hot start more.

Scott

Toadz400
06-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Toad,

You are confusing the YZ426 compression release lever with the hot start lever on the HOnda. They are totally different. The YZ426 had a compression release lever on the handlebars, it allowed you to release the compressed air in the cylinder so you could kick it over to TDC. The hot start on the YZ426 is actually on the carb. The hot start on the Honda is on the handlebars, it allows fresh air enter to ease starting when the motor is hot. The Hondas I have ridden started without the hot start even after they were warm, but they were new. As time goes by and the motor gets some hours on it, you may have to use the hot start more.

Scott

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up for me instead of just bashing me like that Joe guy....we need less of those people, it seems more and more people are taking after Jumbo lol.

Well I guess the Honda I was on was being stubborn when I was kicking it over...a Banshee and YZ426F (bored to 450) seemed a lot easier to kick over than this R.

Woody_YFZ
06-02-2004, 11:21 PM
I've had my YFZ and 450R for quite a while now and have had a chance to run them back to back in many situations. Without a doubt, I prefer the YFZ in the dunes, it tracks (turns) so much better and the gearing is much better. The YFZ is my choice on the track too, however the TRX was much smoother over the bumps than the YFZ, but had something to be desired on the bigger jumps. My overall opinion is that you need to ride them and feel for yourself, they have different feels to them and I think it's personal preference as to how you like them. I also rent them out and get a lot of opinions from consumers. The biggest complaint is obviously the kick start. I have only had one person come back and say they preferred the TRX over the YFZ as far as ride was concerned and he was a bigger, less aggressive (trail) rider. I think you can make either quad what you want it to be and be happy with it. I still just hate kick starting that thing, I hope honda goes with a magic button eventually.