PDA

View Full Version : SSD question

Woodsrider
05-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Long story short, I just bought a set of Elkas used.... I got last night and installed them this morning. Once the quad was back on the ground I immediatly noticed that one shock was half an inch shorter than the other under the weight of the quad alone. the only place there was a differenc in measurement was the SSD spring was shorter on the one shock than it was on the other. Disassembled they are the same length. What would cause this?

Im fuggin pissed off and our Elka dealer is closed for the weekend, so I figured I'd come here and ask.

240GNCC400
05-29-2004, 06:09 PM
did you check the threaded ride heigth adjustment on the top to make sure it is the same?

TC426EX
05-29-2004, 06:37 PM
yeah, check the ride height adjustment above the ssd spring that is what sets the ride height. You should be able to fiddle with it and make them both the same. To be sure, i would back them both out to the farthest setting and then do them both at the same time in increments...

Woodsrider
05-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Yes, I did. Both preload rings are the same distance from the shock head. Both mid springs and main springs arethe same length under load. Only the SSD spring is shorter on one.

sprtrx300ex
05-29-2004, 10:54 PM
sound like one of your SSD spring is worn out, making it softer, therefor compressing easier. Or it could be something with one of the other springs. Try switching the springs around to see if its the spring or the actual shock body.

INFANTRY RACING
05-30-2004, 07:53 AM
check out your crossover rings. the plastic rings between springs. the ssd springs shouldn't compress all the way. there should be a gap between the coils. someone may have been messing around and fliped a crossover and that may be your problem

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
Try switching the springs around to see if its the spring or the actual shock body.

I havent done this yet. that will be my next step. I measured the free lenght of all the springs,(off of the shock) yesterday and they are equal on both sides.

check out your crossover rings. the plastic rings between springs. the ssd springs shouldn't compress all the way. there should be a gap between the coils. someone may have been messing around and fliped a crossover and that may be your problem

I took the shocks apart and put them on correctly already. It didnt make a difference.

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Here is a picture showing the difference from side to side.

I switched the springs from one shock to the other to see if it would move the issue to the other side of the quad and it had no effect. So it has to be an issue with the shock itself not the springs. Low nitrogen charge maybe?

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Just to make it clear to everyone, The person I purchased these from is doing everything he can to help resolve this issue, and has been very helpful.

ghak99
05-30-2004, 02:43 PM
I would say it wouldn't hurt to have them serviced and checked over.

Tommy 17
05-30-2004, 06:19 PM
is the quad sitting level??? if its off at all they will be differnt lengths...

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
is the quad sitting level??? if its off at all they will be differnt lengths...

Good observation, but yes thats sitting on my garage floor.;)

KASCHAK
05-30-2004, 08:10 PM
my works are the same way.... i dont have the money to get them serviced so i just ride them... cant tell the difference.

sprtrx300ex
05-31-2004, 07:54 AM
Have you jumped them? Have you noticed one bottoms easier off jumps? If so, then Id say you need to get them redone.

INFANTRY RACING
05-31-2004, 09:27 AM
lube the shock bodies and make sre everything slides right. honestly thoose spring don't do anything but sag so aslong as they do when your on the quad i wouldn't wory.

boogiechile
05-31-2004, 03:26 PM
the nitrogen pressure will hold my ssd springs up off the crossover a little like the one you have when I am not on the quad. You may have low pressure in the one that is sitting all the way down on the crossover. You could switch the whole shocks to opposite sides to find out for sure that it is not something with the weight, stance or tweaked with the bike. If it stays with the shock, I would have the pressure checked.

Woodsrider
05-31-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by boogiechile
the nitrogen pressure will hold my ssd springs up off the crossover a little like the one you have when I am not on the quad. You may have low pressure in the one that is sitting all the way down on the crossover. You could switch the whole shocks to opposite sides to find out for sure that it is not something with the weight, stance or tweaked with the bike. If it stays with the shock, I would have the pressure checked.

Cudos to you. I hadn't swapped the entire shock assembly to the other side. I did that this afternoon and apperantly its something in the geometry of the quad itself not the shocks because the problem is still on the same side of the quad.:o
Hard part is gonna be figuring out what is out of whack.

boogiechile
06-01-2004, 08:12 AM
at least you have something to work with now. This may seem stupid, but have you made sure the air pressure in the tires match from side to side in the frt and in the rear. Often a problem like that is caused by the rear of the quad. Like a slightly tweaked swing arm or bent axle. set the air pressures and then put a level under your frame from side to side to see if it is slanting one way or the other.

06-01-2004, 08:17 AM
My frame is tweaked up front and my shocks do the same exact thing.. Not saying you have a bent frame but something is outa whack I'd say..

MrTrendy1
06-01-2004, 08:21 AM
I have somewhat of a similar issue. My quad leans to one side as well. It's done that since I bought it back in March. It's brand new too! I never have noticed anything wrong with the way it rides either, just when its sitting in the garage you can see it is leaning to a little to one side.

Woodsrider
06-01-2004, 10:04 PM
The tire pressure is out of the question. I checked that pretty early on. I'm leanin towards the tweaked front end. Like Rico said.
The more I ponder the issue the more I suspect it. Its taken it share of hits and has taken a few tumbles.

I felt like a heel the way I accused the seller of the shocks:o

Still havent had a chance to ride it yet with the new shocks. Dont even know what to expect.

06-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Woodsrider

Still havent had a chance to ride it yet with the new shocks. Dont even know what to expect.

Expect to be faster and you'll look like this --->:eek: the entire ride because you'll be reallllllly surprised in the way they handle..:D

DEAL
06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
My elkas do the same thing, I had them re-valved/re-sprung 2 weeks ago and they still do it.

JOEX
06-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Expect to be faster and you'll look like this --->:eek: the entire ride because you'll be reallllllly surprised in the way they handle..:D
Yup!:cool: :)