PDA

View Full Version : Front Disc Problems! GRR!

Fast250EX
05-29-2004, 01:40 PM
I would appreciate it if you would take a little time to read this and help me out because i am really stumped. I am simply not a brake repair man. On my front discs for my 250EX (which i believe are similar if not the same to the 400EX's) they sqeak horribly when I pull in the lever. Each one is doing different things though.

The left front is actually really quet and smooth but for some reason, at one point in the tires rotation, the brake squeaks when the lever is not even pulled. It must be something about that spot because i can back it up, then push it forward again and it does it in the same spot. However, this is just an annoying thing and doesn't really affect performance that i can tell, although if i get it fixed, i may notice how much better it is fixed and realize that it was hampering performance before, but i dont really know.

The right front is a whole other story, however. When not activated by the lever and just rolling, it makes a horrible sound like the pads are never totally leaving the discs surface(kinda sounds like someone keeps moving a wire brush hard on bare metal and never stops). Now when the brake is applied, it squeaks horribly, easily overpowering the sound of my baffleless pipe at idle. I also noticed that the brake power was not as strong as it used to be. I looked at the inside of the disc and noticed it had been scratched up more than the left front disc. I took the caliper off to investigate. I took 800 grit sandpaper and applied light pressure to an area on the disc and moved the disk around by hand to try and even out the disc surface slightly, and then i washed off the dust. The next thing i noticed right away was that it was a b*tch to get back on the disc because the pads were mighty close together (causing the wire brush sound as mentioned above). I noticed there was a little spacer up were the pads go on that if put on the other said of the pad, would give more clearance but before I tried anything, i thought i would ask someone because disc brake parts aren't all that cheap.

Sorry for such a long read but i wanted to be sure you knew the situation so accurate help can be given. Thanks.;)

Fast250EX
05-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I am thinking right now that it might be my brake pads. I am gonna take them off and have a look to see. Pads are pretty cheap on ebay. I can get a new set of aftermarket pads for around 16 bucks. I would appreciate any suggestions.

JOEX
05-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Stick with stock pads, i've heard that DP's are good too. There are a couple of other good brands out there but stay away from the cheap ones, you get what you pay for.

It's possible your rotors are slightly bent, and the right one is gouged, they aren't cheap either. The pads wore all the way and you now have metal on metal, not good.

Fast250EX
05-30-2004, 12:08 PM
So you are saying i need new pads and rotors? I could tell that my pads were awfully thin though. Also, it almost looks as if the pad that touches the piston is bent a little bit, possibly causing the tightness.

Also, I noticed that when i pull in the front brake lever, the right side piston (but i didnt look at left) moves out by when i let off, it doesn't really go back in all the way (by that i mean as far in as it is meant to). I can still see the shiny part of the piston where it is always tucked in the caliper but it doesn't go back in, at least not right away, but I guess it does go in eventually or it still wouldn't be shiny there.

Well, thanks for the help, this is a 2001 model and I have been awefully hard on them lately. I have been driving on my realatively short driveway a lot because of all the rain and i noticed the brakes were getting pretty hot. This started the squeaking only about a week ago, maybe less.

250rmike
05-30-2004, 03:33 PM
could be a few things. bad pads, bad pad/rotors, bent rotors check the pads first. also check your fluid level. if its low you could be leaking brake fluid somewhere

Fast250EX
05-30-2004, 03:46 PM
For now, I will just stop riding my beloved EX until I get some new pads and then I will go from there. I noticed the pads on the right side are extremely thin, more than likely down to the metal so after I realized that I just stop riding it.

The fluid is good but one time I noticed the rubber cap that goes over the outlet on the top of the caliper was off the little outlet. I put it back on and saw no ill effects, nor did my fluid level change, or enough to notice anyway. I do have a question though, thru the glass window that lets you see in the fluid reservoir, should i be able to see the top of the fluid there or should it be above the window out of sight. I can see the top so i might need more fluid, not sure though. It is about 7/8 of the way up the window but can still be seen, although i angled down my front brake slightly for easier access when i stand up.

I want to go riding tomorrow so I was wondering if it would be alright to simply take the pads off and drive with only a rear brake. The piston wouldn't hit the rotor or anything would it?

Thanks for the help, this board has been very helpful to a few problems i have had the last few days.

250rmike
05-30-2004, 04:32 PM
well the rubber cap is just to keep dirt out. the outlet is for bleeding the brakes and would need to be loosend for anything to come out. more than likely its your pads. and from them being thin that sounds like that what it is

Fast250EX
05-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Alright thanks man, I appreciate it.

But do you think I would be fine to run without the pads so I dont mess up my rotors as well or should i just not ride. I can ride my dad's 300 if i need to but I would rather ride mine. Going from a 350 pounds quad to a 550 pound quad is kinda overwhelming in extreme trail situations.

Thanks again.

250rmike
05-30-2004, 05:52 PM
i dont know how bad you pads are so being on the safe side and with you saying 1 always sqeeks i would just ride your dads until you get some pads in

Fast250EX
05-30-2004, 06:11 PM
I was a little weary of this too so I went ahead and took the pads off the squeaky one and found some disturbing things.

For one thing, the pad that contacts the piston was wore down to the metal and just looking at it gave me chills. Second, the same pad was actually bent, more than likely from heat build up followed by hard application.

I checked out the disc and on the side with the halfway decent pad, it was just beautiful. The other side was not beautiful but to my surprise was not overly bad, I caught the worn (for lack of a more excrutiating word) pad in time. It showed that it had been touch the bare metal obviously but it wasn't really rough or damaged. It looks like it will easily be right back to normal with a new pad on there.

I might get all new front pads for both brakes that way I will have strong and even brakes. I have never been out of commission before with my quad so this is kinda weird for me. Its alright though, I kinda like my dads 300. Sometimes i miss full fenders in the mud with my EX.;)

Well, I appreciate all the help and in the words of a good friend, take it easy and if she's easy, take her twice. lol:D

250rmike
05-30-2004, 06:49 PM
definatly replace both sets of pads. thats how you always want to do it no matter if 1 set is good and one isnt. just keep the set thats still good around incase you need it in an emergency.

JOEX
05-30-2004, 10:17 PM
You also may want to replace the o-rings and seals in the caliper and make sure the slider pins are clean. This may be why the pads are rubbing.

Fast250EX
05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
Something else i noticed, is that the piston doesn't really go back in the caliper once the lever is pulled. It comes out great but only goes back in a small amount. Could that be because my fluid is low? It fills up 1/3 of the lense on the reservoir by the lever now but i angled the lever downward a couple days ago so that may be why. I tried to take off the cover but on of those gay phillips screws stripped so I have to take a dremel and cut a slot through for a 2 way. Phillips screws just dont belong on a quad.

Man, i rode my dads quad all day today and their is about 200 pounds difference between ours and i can certainly feel it. I really miss the light weight feel of it. The pads are off so i am thinkin bought takin the front lever off just so i wont use them because the last thing you want is the piston pushin up against the disc. I just cant stand to see it sitting in the garage. I dont know, I'll probably just ride my dads, I dont wanna go all redneck on the thing just cause I have to wait for pads.:rolleyes:

JOEX
05-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Don't ride without front brakes, not that it can't be done. The front brakes provide the most stopping power. Not that i'd know:p

IMO, Phillips screws are way better than straight blade, if you use the right size driver;)

I'd still replace the pads, o-rings and seals then bleed with fresh fluid.