PDA

View Full Version : 450r vs. yfz (whitch one is better for me)

sycoracer911
05-29-2004, 10:47 AM
hello i ride a highly modded blaster right now and i ride my friends kfx all the time. Altho the blaster is great i want to upgrade to a 450. I havent really decided one witch one to get tho. I dont really like to ask this question on sites like this because its a honda site i usually get a honda answer cuz of the competition between honda and yamaha. Well here is the deal i ride every thing but trails are a BIG thing around here. i dont ride dessert or dunes becuase i am not by any. I live in pa and have nice trails, fields, back roads, and jumps to do. so i guess i need the 450 with a lil more on the bottom end power. I will be modding this machine and want something to compete with raptors and banshee's. I was originally going to buy a banshee but then the 450's cought my eye. I also hear that it feels wierd riding the 450r....what makes it feel wierd? also what kinda quads am i looking to beat with these machines. i was also looking into getting a raptor but i hear they are realy tippy. well can you guys please give me info on these quads to help me stear myself in the right direction. and again please dont post bias answers. i know you guys may hate yamaha but just think about the quad. say honda made both the yfz and 450r witch would you get... thank you guys a lot

PEPwalshZ440
05-29-2004, 10:49 AM
i would get the 450r. I don't think it feels weird to ride at all...i love my R and i wouldn't trade it for a fully decked yfz or nething

SHOCKER
05-29-2004, 11:40 AM
the yfz450 is not very comfortable but has great power and really stiff suspension, the honda 450r is more comfortable ahs lots of torque and the suspension i hear was a little softer, so i would go with the 450r, either way they are both great bikes

PEPwalshZ440
05-29-2004, 11:50 AM
either way they are both great bikes
rgr that

SHOCKER
05-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
rgr that

Huh? i have no clue what that means

BYRD-MAN
05-29-2004, 12:58 PM
If you are just going to get something that compares with the raptor and you are going to mod it save money and go with the kfx or the z400. You could always get a big bore kit.

TRX Smoker
05-29-2004, 02:22 PM
If you want to beat banshees and 250r's then you have to go with the YFZ. It responds amazingly to mods and with a few shock adjustments it will ride great. The horsepower is more than the 450r, the torque is more also. It does not feel tipsy at all. It has a low center of gravity, which makes it awesome for WOT turns.

I bet i just created World War 3.

ProConcept
05-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by TRX Smoker
If you want to beat banshees and 250r's then you have to go with the YFZ. It responds amazingly to mods and with a few shock adjustments it will ride great. The horsepower is more than the 450r, the torque is more also. It does not feel tipsy at all. It has a low center of gravity, which makes it awesome for WOT turns.

I bet i just created World War 3.

According to rossier eng. A YFZ with their pipe, cam mod, and filter would produce about 47 hp. A 450R with the same rossier parts was also 47 hp. That "YFZ responds better to mods and has more hp" is BS.

JAS326
05-29-2004, 03:59 PM
My vote would be for the 450R. Plenty of power and a much softer ride.

SHOCKER
05-29-2004, 04:39 PM
the 450r has more torgue stock, and the yfz has like 1 horsepower more stock than the 450r, so they are pretty much the same

RedRacer44
05-29-2004, 06:51 PM
If you are going to be riding mostly trails, I'd really look into the 450R. The YFZ is an amazing quad but is a lil' more race orientated i think, doesnt meet the needs of a casual trailrider like the Honda does. I own the 450R and have ridden the YFZ a lot........the Honda is a lot more comfortable to ME. Might be different for you. I know a lot of guys that ride YFZs on the trails so its not impossible but i think the Honda is a lil' more trail friendly as far as the WHOLE package. You may want to drop down to the 13t front sprocket for trail riding if ya go with the 450R. I'm running stock gearing because it works great for MX but on the trails, have to use a lil' more clutch work which isnt a problem for me since I came off a 250R. Both quads are amazing and I dont think you would go wrong with either but I think the Honda will fit your needs a little better but its all opinion. You REALLY NEED to ride both quads and see what ya think.

Just my 2 cents!

TRX Smoker
05-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ProConcept
According to rossier eng. A YFZ with their pipe, cam mod, and filter would produce about 47 hp. A 450R with the same rossier parts was also 47 hp. That "YFZ responds better to mods and has more hp" is BS.

Throw a Thunder Alley, ESR, or TC on them and go to a dyno. What you are saying is nothing but heresay. Show me a dyno graph that is NOT from a pipe manufacturer and i will believe you.

PEPwalshZ440
05-29-2004, 09:47 PM
my quad with the TC and airbox lid off and K&N filter RIPS on some YFZs at the track

ProConcept
05-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Throw a Thunder Alley, ESR, or TC on them and go to a dyno. What you are saying is nothing but heresay. Show me a dyno graph that is NOT from a pipe manufacturer and i will believe you.

Rossier is very honest. He even showed that the 450R lost in the midrange but gained top end majorly with his cam and pipe. Most pipe manufacturers would just show a graph were it gained everywhere instead of showing the real graph. Have you even tried a rossier pipe? I know I have used one on a YFZ. It was as good if not better than any other pipe for it. Just because hes not very well known doesn't mean he doesn't make a good pipe.

05-29-2004, 10:14 PM
go to your local deales and test ride both quads to see wich one is more comf for you. when trail riding, comfort is king!!!!!!!. with hop ups they will both make you very happy and will smoke all your buddys, with practice of corse. good luck in your serch for YOUR perfict quad!!!!;)

Shawn H
05-30-2004, 09:48 AM

Here you go Dyno runs by GT THUNDER and Laz is one of the most honest people you will ever meet and many people on here will tell you that also.
DYNO SPECS (http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX450R.html)

Kennethyfz450
05-30-2004, 06:29 PM
i thought i would give my .02

pros
yfz - power, handling , front end stays to the ground.

450- power , its a honda

cons

my yfz hurt me really bad saturday i was going up a hill that was just a tad bit to steep and i didnt try it i was just gonna hit it , and well i got thrown over and the top of the seat hit me in the
:eek2: :eek2: if it had a softer seat it would not have hurt as bad..
sucks fuel down faster than i can put in..

450r front end wants to come up way to much...
atv sport did a review on that pipe you all was talking about and said for the power its not really the right one but also turned around and said it be a good pipe.. what i think they were trying to say is there pipes better than that but for the price it would be a good pipe but i dont want to knock it off, cause i never heard or seen one on a yfz and it could be bad *** ..

JWhite
05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
You want BOTTOM and Torque?

That's a NO BRAINER!

Get the HONDA.

The TRX SHINES in the bottom to mid RPM range in all it's gears. Something a YFZ don't do. They Shine at the other end of the spectrum.

TRX Smoker
05-31-2004, 11:03 AM
I am not biased between Honda and Yamaha. I really like both quads. But, the low end **** is not true. I pull holeshots over 450r's all day when my bike was stock. It probably seems it has more bottom end powere due to the fact the front end is really light, unlike the YFZ. The YFZ stays nose down and is just a point and go quad. It will do wheelies but with a lttle coaxing. Overall i am as happy as can be with my YFZ.:D

TRX Smoker
05-31-2004, 11:04 AM
I am not biased between Honda and Yamaha. I really like both quads. But, the low end **** is not true. I pull holeshots over 450r's all day when my bike was stock. It probably seems it has more bottom end powere due to the fact the front end is really light, unlike the YFZ. The YFZ stays nose down and is just a point and go quad. It will do wheelies but with a lttle coaxing. Overall i am as happy as can be with my YFZ.:D

TRX Smoker

TRX Smoker

TRX Smoker

TRX Smoker

TRX Smoker

TRX Smoker

TRX Smoker

Shawn H
05-31-2004, 11:47 AM
You maybe pulling holeshots on your YFZ over 450r's

So :eek:

Its all rider I whoop just as many Yfz's.Z'z and modified EX's on my 450r. I have pulled many dead engine holeshots and its not the machine mostly rider. Heres proof:

Greg Z
05-31-2004, 01:47 PM

I bet i just created World War 3. another wrong piece of info you stated

"YFZ HAS MORE TORQUE THEN 450R"

That is tottally wrong.... The 450r has a WAY more torque advantage over the YFZ :o

Scottie Mac
05-31-2004, 01:50 PM
Stock for stock, side by side with equal riders, the two quads are extremely close in terms of holeshots. YES, rider ability can easily be the determining factor in who gets ahead of who. I have a little saying I live by....... "It's a good thing we don't race dynos!"

I didn't think either was the torque monster some people claim in stock form. But then again, I am not coming off of a 400ex with a few bolt ons. The YFZ is sooo corked up from the factory it won't run well on the bottom, BUT, that is easily fixed. De cork the pipe, rejet it and remove the air box lid and it "feels" every bit as torquey as a TRX, plus it "feels" like it pulls harder from mid to top.

Saying one quad is better than the other is a waste of time. For every 450R picture anyone posts on here pulling a holeshot, I can show you 10 YFZs on the National circuit or regionally doing the same.

Can't we all just agree that the ONLY way anyone (at least anyone not completely brand biased - stupid) can decide which is better for him/herself is to ride them both and make up their own mind. What a concept.

Scott

jackstrx
05-31-2004, 03:50 PM
I have the new 450r and the yfz 450. Both quads are top notch. The 450r is my choice for woods riding.

04 trx 450r
04 yfz 450 modified
04 V-force

sycoracer911
05-31-2004, 05:38 PM
i know a lot of you are not a big fan of yamaha's but what about a raptor... they have reverse there a lil faster than the yfz, they have a more rideable power for the trails than the 450's do, there narrow(not always a good thing) and they run with the 450's? so im just looking at these and i noticed that the electric start, seat hight, high output lights, and its been out on the market for a few years now and has had the time to work out all the bugs. idk...i know a lot of people dont like raptors but y? i hear they are tippy but that is something you can get used to and widen in the future. well what do u guys think... oh yeah i have no way of testing these quads because the dealer doesnt let me. and no one around here has one

TRX Smoker
05-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by sycoracer911
raptor... they have reverse there a lil faster than the yfz

:rolleyes: WOW! THats the funniest thing i have ever heard all day. When do you see a Raptor beat any 450 in a MX race, Drag Race, or any others. Let me help you out.....NEVER!

TRX Smoker

:rolleyes: WOW! THats the funniest thing i have ever heard all day. When do you see a Raptor beat any 450 in a MX race, Drag Race, or any others. Let me help you out.....NEVER!

TRX Smoker

exrider44
05-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Any reason why you posted the same message 3 times?:confused:

Hammer trx450r
05-31-2004, 07:06 PM
hey how about a 230 quadsport they had reverse too:eek2:

RIDER11X
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Crazy Honda got his YFZ with a full LRD system on it with no lid and a YZ needle and properly jetted. He flat out whoops up on piped Raptors. I rode his YFZ a great deal, and I must say, as a die hard Honda guy, I would not hesitate to own a YFZ.......Everything is spot on for me as a racer.......power is incredible on the mid to top. Handling is awesome......no worries in nasty woods situations with hillclimbs. Front end does not do anything dumb on hills, just stays planted and steers unless I ask for lift for a log or something. I never rode a 450r yet, so I can't comment on it, but I never thought I would like a chassis better than my 400ex, but the YFZ does have it beat. The YFZ is a truely awesome machine.:cool:

Curious if any long term problems crop up though...:rolleyes: Honda is usually the reliability leader as we all know. (Not Flaming)

Ryan
05-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Stock for stock, side by side with equal riders, the two quads are extremely close in terms of holeshots. YES, rider ability can easily be the determining factor in who gets ahead of who. I have a little saying I live by....... "It's a good thing we don't race dynos!"

I didn't think either was the torque monster some people claim in stock form. But then again, I am not coming off of a 400ex with a few bolt ons. The YFZ is sooo corked up from the factory it won't run well on the bottom, BUT, that is easily fixed. De cork the pipe, rejet it and remove the air box lid and it "feels" every bit as torquey as a TRX, plus it "feels" like it pulls harder from mid to top.

Saying one quad is better than the other is a waste of time. For every 450R picture anyone posts on here pulling a holeshot, I can show you 10 YFZs on the National circuit or regionally doing the same.

Can't we all just agree that the ONLY way anyone (at least anyone not completely brand biased - stupid) can decide which is better for him/herself is to ride them both and make up their own mind. What a concept.

Scott

danyeo
06-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Curious if any long term problems crop up though...:rolleyes: Honda is usually the reliability leader as we all know. (Not Flaming) [/B][/QUOTE]

It's almost been a year since the YFZ have been out. And i bet most of them have been punded on. I think if something major was going to wrong with them we would have seen it by now, can't argue though about Hondas reliability. I pounded on my 400ex and nothing went wrong with it. I did have a Blaster in the 90's and it refused to die. I think i changed the oil once every 2 months and i never changed the tranny oil, LOL. That thing took a beating and kept on going. Warriors have also been pretty solid. Seems like Raptors have given Yamaha a little black eye in the past few years.

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by danyeo
Curious if any long term problems crop up though...:rolleyes: Honda is usually the reliability leader as we all know. (Not Flaming)

It's almost been a year since the YFZ have been out. And i bet most of them have been punded on. I think if something major was going to wrong with them we would have seen it by now, can't argue though about Hondas reliability. I pounded on my 400ex and nothing went wrong with it. I did have a Blaster in the 90's and it refused to die. I think i changed the oil once every 2 months and i never changed the tranny oil, LOL. That thing took a beating and kept on going. Warriors have also been pretty solid. Seems like Raptors have given Yamaha a little black eye in the past few years. [/B][/QUOTE]

Here is a thread that I stumbled upon today by one of the very fast Vet XC racers that also owns a shop near me. Intresting reading.........Not to flame the YFZ, but this is looking Raptor like.

http://www.paatving.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=7127&STARTPAGE=1

:eek2:

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 09:18 AM

It's almost been a year since the YFZ have been out. And i bet most of them have been punded on. I think if something major was going to wrong with them we would have seen it by now, can't argue though about Hondas reliability. I pounded on my 400ex and nothing went wrong with it. I did have a Blaster in the 90's and it refused to die. I think i changed the oil once every 2 months and i never changed the tranny oil, LOL. That thing took a beating and kept on going. Warriors have also been pretty solid. Seems like Raptors have given Yamaha a little black eye in the past few years. [/B][/QUOTE]

Here is a thread that I stumbled upon today by one of the very fast Vet XC racers that also owns a shop near me. Intresting reading.........Not to flame the YFZ, but this is looking Raptor like.

http://www.paatving.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=7127&STARTPAGE=1

RIDER11X
06-02-2004, 09:19 AM