PDA

View Full Version : locking it up

Hammer trx450r
05-29-2004, 05:59 AM
Lets hear some good way of locking down your quads.

sam the brave
05-29-2004, 06:03 AM
chian thoudr rotor and sprockets then to wall

Hammer trx450r
05-29-2004, 07:55 AM
more on the lines of anti bolt cutter

xr50layke
05-29-2004, 08:11 AM
depends on how ruthless the criminal is.

2 trained german shepards and a 12 gauge, motion dector lights, alarm.

or try taking the tires off! not many people can lift it for that long into the back of a truck hahahahaha.

the criminal could bypass your security and kill your dogs. then put the wheels back on. but that would be like a co-vert operation lol.

Woodsrider
05-29-2004, 08:45 AM
Hammer, I have a Kryptonite rotor lock and a 6 foot Kryptonite monster cable(3/4in diameter). The cable is pretty indestructable, braided stainless steel in very hard to cut. Bolt cutters just smear it around, and a hacksaw just wont cut it. So unless the theif is packin a torch, your ride is pretty safe. The rotor lock is a nice lock to put on in the back of your truck, with it on, the quad cant be rolled on all four wheels. Your not going very far with it carrying the rear end. The cable lock was kind of spendy, like around $70. But the rotor lock I got for free as a raffle prize at a race. The sticker on it was $20.

Hammer trx450r
05-29-2004, 09:17 AM
thanks for the reply , I'll look into the cable thing.

Hammer trx450r
05-29-2004, 12:57 PM
listen i have had 4 quads stolen in the last 17 yrs from diferent locations. Just dumped a load in this new bike so it'll be like fort knox over here. Hey Justin what does desprite mean? LMAO If you are going to break balls atleast spend some time or ask mom to spell check for you:eek2:

exatak199
05-29-2004, 01:52 PM
just sleep in the same room as your quad with a AK-47:devil:

Toadz400
05-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
listen i have had 4 quads stolen in the last 17 yrs from diferent locations. Just dumped a load in this new bike so it'll be like fort knox over here. Hey Justin what does desprite mean? LMAO If you are going to break balls atleast spend some time or ask mom to spell check for you:eek2:

Lol, you just got served! (anyone see that South Park episode?..)

Yea I need to find a good way to secure my quads, neither of them have any kind of insurance (dad doesn't believe in insurance on my quads so he refuses to let me get it....:confused: ).

I was thinking of just chaining them to the ground or the back end of my car, lol. And believe me, no one wants to steal my car so I doubt they'd try to steal the car while dragging the quads!

Syrus
05-29-2004, 02:20 PM
The best way to secure your quad is to keep it in its own secure steel shed, thats whay i use, and lock the door. It keeps your quad outa the sun,rain,snow anything, and unless you have a plasma cutter, good luck takin my quad :P

roostin_dale
05-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Our shed has one of those roll up doors. If there was any way they get the locks off, then we will hear it roll up (unless we aren't home)

Ralph
05-29-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Hammer, I have a Kryptonite rotor lock and a 6 foot Kryptonite monster cable(3/4in diameter). The cable is pretty indestructable, braided stainless steel in very hard to cut. Bolt cutters just smear it around, and a hacksaw just wont cut it. So unless the theif is packin a torch, your ride is pretty safe. The rotor lock is a nice lock to put on in the back of your truck, with it on, the quad cant be rolled on all four wheels. Your not going very far with it carrying the rear end. The cable lock was kind of spendy, like around $70. But the rotor lock I got for free as a raffle prize at a race. The sticker on it was $20.

what if u loose the key?

Syrus
05-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
Our shed has one of those roll up doors. If there was any way they get the locks off, then we will hear it roll up (unless we aren't home)

Thats usualy when thief's strike lol :D

roostin_dale
05-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Syrus
Thats usualy when thief's strike lol :D

or when your sleeping

Chef
05-29-2004, 04:17 PM
We were at a campground once and the night before some bikes got stolen. So what do I do to protect for my $30k investment? I sleep under it with a loose strap under my body hooked to the frame in two spots. Pretty sure that thing wouldnt go anywhere.

Woodsrider
05-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
what if u loose the key?

Each lock/cable comes with two keys, I leave all my extra keys in the gun safe. There is a S/N on each lock when you register the warranty you give them the SN. If you ever need a key they verify you are who you say and send you a key.;)

bulkdriverlp
05-29-2004, 09:05 PM
leave em in a enclosed trailer. it would be pretty hard to get in one of those. if it cant be seen thats better yet. or mount a car battery up underneath of it run a cable form post to post and through your swingarm so when they go to cut it they get a poke, i dunno.:p ed

ewalker302
05-29-2004, 10:52 PM
The big red beware of dog sign works wonders.

A big black dog to go with it helps.

:bandit:

Mxjunkie
05-29-2004, 10:59 PM
put it in your house, thats what i do we have my dirtbike, the harley, my bmx bikes and a 7ft tool chest in my living room

Toadz400
05-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
put it in your house, thats what i do we have my dirtbike, the harley, my bmx bikes and a 7ft tool chest in my living room

That is a good way of securing them...I would do that, but I don't think I'll be able to fit a quad through my door or patio door...maybe if I take off the handlebars and put it on it's side on rollers...hmm....:)

Martin Blair
05-30-2004, 12:10 AM
At our house they are not chained up, they are in the garage right beneath me when I sleep, so I doubt someone could get in without me noticing, getting a shotgun, and runing there *** down. When we are camping we chain them up with a 30ft piece of chain and rap it arround the frames multiple times, then threw the camper frame. If anyone did try to steel them they would make to much nosie un raping the chain since I sleep on the side of the camper where they are chained. We also put covers on them if the wind even blows the covers krincle and carck that you can here them.

Bobbs07
05-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Just started to secure my new 400ex in my garage today, got a new lock, and am also mounting a nice big lock on the door. :devil:

Ryan
05-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Anyone know how much a cheep metal shed would be? Something to keep a quad into.

alias
05-30-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
Anyone know how much a cheep metal shed would be? Something to keep a quad into.

I can't see it being much less than a grand all said and done.

Woodsrider
05-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by alias
I can't see it being much less than a grand all said and done.

LOL, you can build a nice wooden shed for less than that. But the metal ones make so much racket that if some one was geitting into it you would know it.

Ryan
05-30-2004, 12:04 PM
LOL, you can build a nice wooden shed for less than that. But the metal ones make so much racket that if some one was geitting into it you would know it.

Never even thought of building a wooden one :o . That might be a good idea.

Im not looking for a shed to keep it safe, more to keep the quad from weather damage ie (Rust).

SSracingNY
05-30-2004, 04:34 PM
depends on what kinda quad it is. if its a piece id just put a take me sign on it but if its worth some coins then sleep on it with a few dogs near by, few guns, and a spike so when he opens the door it nails um.

sparky450AR
05-30-2004, 05:46 PM

yeah what he said.....but dont lose the keys!!!

One time down at the hatfield trails....we locked my brand new 450R up to the trailor then realized we left the keys for the cable locks at home!!!!!! :huh

We got real pissed off, had to drive around to a welding shop so they could cut it with a torch. I couldnt even break into my own $hit.....i would go with the cables.:)

SGA
05-31-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Chef
We were at a campground once and the night before some bikes got stolen. So what do I do to protect for my $30k investment? I sleep under it with a loose strap under my body hooked to the frame in two spots. Pretty sure that thing wouldnt go anywhere.
I got to laugh at this one. If someone fired that bad boy up and took off, i'd bet you'd know it!:D

Hammer trx450r
05-31-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I got to laugh at this one. If someone fired that bad boy up and took off, i'd bet you'd know it!:D

could you see chef running down the theif in his underwear!!:D

chucked
05-31-2004, 10:00 AM
i keep mine in a 20 ft container, i have a 1" piece of rebar welded to the wall and I have a 3/8" chain going through the frame and it with one of those un cuttable master pad locks, I also have 2 more of those pad locks on the doors and its alarmed and I have a night vision camera in it running to a vcr/tv combo in my basement on a 24 hr loop.

this pad lock

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?sub_cat_id=D189A&template=style

Chef
05-31-2004, 12:43 PM

It would be tough to catch em...there were only a couple bikes in camp that weekend that were better running than it. But it also doesnt have any headlights...so they would be SOL. :blah:

KASCHAK
05-31-2004, 12:49 PM
my friend doesnt have a shed or a garage.. there outside.. so he takes the spark plug wire off and hides it.. takes off all four tires.. and handlebars..

when he wants to go riding it takes him 30 minutes to get ready. hahaha

SGA
05-31-2004, 11:53 PM
He would'nt have to run with that strap around him!:D