PDA

View Full Version : worried about my new dog..

Kennethyfz450
05-28-2004, 04:52 PM
i got it some puppy chow and when the bowl gets empty i just put more in it spreading treats around, some taste like chicken some are bacon, some are for his breath... when i first got the dog you could see his ribs he was starving he ate anything... now he is getting choosing which is a good thing... we already have to give some dog food away..

but i looked out and i noticed everytime i am not out their she is laying down breathing heavily it seems like.. is this normal for a german shepard??

the only thing we did was chase a ball around the yard and when i did my 5 min test on my xcr's she was chasing me around the house.. lol

but thats been around a hour ago and after all of that i got on the big pillow with her and rubbed her stomach for at least 15 mins then i got up and came on here.. then i got off and called some friends, and went by the window and i noticed she was breathing hard.. just worried about her.. Only had it for 2 full days... and i already love the little fart i dont want nothing to happend to her.. by the way i started calling it Abi.

Ryan
05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Does the dog have water? Sounds like that might be a sign of dehydration. That or it could be the heat.... Not to sure.

400exmom
05-28-2004, 04:59 PM
i would take it to the vet asap~ not to scare you but 8 years ago before i got my st. bernard i bought a german shepard puppy from a lady the very next morning the puppy got very weak i took her to the vet that night and they said she had parvo~ and she had to be put down~ i called the lady i bought her from and she said the whole litter had to be put down from parvo:( i didnt get another dog for 3 years~ it was a VERY depressing experiance

good luck with yer pup i hope all is ok

Martin Blair
05-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I would take it to the vet asap as well just to make sure. Make sure she has water. My dog is old and if we play ball or if he chases me arroudn the yard he beaths heavy for 30-45 minutes but hes 11 years old im suprised he is taht active.

but just to be sure take he to the vet.

blondie69
05-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Dogs sweat threw their tongues, so it's probably just over heating.
And by the sounds of it...givin it waaay to much dog food:eek2: Try to feed the dog when u eat, like give it a cup or two of dog chow for breakie, lunch, and supper. Don't refill the dish, or else it'll become obeese (sp)
But still...take it to the vet asap!!!

Kennethyfz450
05-28-2004, 05:32 PM
i took it to the vet the other day to get shots for worms and megies or something like that.. and he told me it was healthy other than that ... a 6 years ago i had a dog died of parvo.. but my sister got one around 3 years ago and it was ok.. right now it is sleeping ..

yes i have ice in the water bowl.. when the ice goes away i go get her some clean water with more ice.. i try not to give her to much food anymore .. you should have seen her when i first got her.. the sweetiest little hungry thing i ever seen... it was bony..

i was going to put her in the paper.. but the vet guy said no you will be the better owner and it seems to like you.. and gave me a smile .. the last owners cliped it tail !! what was they thinking??
i dont think i can take it to the vet its 7:25 i think its closed isnt it.. but if i go into the yard it follows if i run it runs if i get on my yfz it chases me.. if i go in the house it lays by the door and dont do anything..

i dont know.. little girl is gonna give me a stress attack..

trick450r
05-28-2004, 05:38 PM
proly bordem, my dog used to do that xept she would run inside with me and like run around the couch or wherever i would sit for like 5 mins then she would just go to sleep lol...put her down last month:(

LTandRaptorider
05-28-2004, 05:42 PM
I too was going to say you may be feeding it too much. With some dogs, if they have a full dish all day, they'll eat all they can. I have a Siberian Husky, she eats one bowl of Purina dog chow a day. She'll be 15 this year, so it must be good stuff. Or it could be she's been pampered all her life... :)

Good luck, hope your dog is ok. ;)

Kennethyfz450
05-28-2004, 06:01 PM
well i usally just feel the bowl up once a day, then spread treats in the bowl.. i love this dog seems to listen pretty good, calm but hyper when it wants to be. likes to cudle up ..

the only bad part is she cant come into the house:( i almost had my mom talked into it then she ran in the door the other night and when i went to go pick her up she peed :eek2: :p i thought it was funny but my mom sure didnt, handed me some soap in a mop..

xr50layke
05-28-2004, 06:25 PM
my dog huffs and puffs after drinking. i think she completely forgets to stop breathing.

400exmom
05-28-2004, 06:27 PM
ask yer vet for puppy vitamins.. she's prolly a lil malnourished~ dont forget puppies sleep alot just like babies:) id prolly pant hard too if i was chasin a 450 round the yard:D

Kennethyfz450
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
my dog surprised me when i left a min ago.. i was going outside expecting to see her in her favorite spot which is right beside the door but i seen her chasing a poor little butterfly which of course became her meal.. :macho ... then i seen her go towards the front of the house.. i was looking out all the windows she was getting the bacon strips lol she hasnt been eating them she has 3 inbetween the porch in the house.. i started laughing then she heard me and came to the door..

then i got the lesh to try to get her used to it she is doing better than she did but she is stubborn.. we go beside my truck she makes sure she goes under it or she not moving .. so i have to let the lesh go and meet her on the other side of the truck.. im not really likeing the idea of here go under my truck so tomorrow i am gonna be strick and not let her go near any of are vehicles.. i shouldnt let her chase my 4 wheeler.. to late now though..

anyhow my gf is supposed to bring her lab over so they can play together, thanks

LTandRaptorider
05-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
well i usally just feel the bowl up once a day, then spread treats in the bowl.. i love this dog seems to listen pretty good, calm but hyper when it wants to be. likes to cudle up ..

the only bad part is she cant come into the house:( i almost had my mom talked into it then she ran in the door the other night and when i went to go pick her up she peed :eek2: :p i thought it was funny but my mom sure didnt, handed me some soap in a mop..

I had a collie when I was young. One time I was lying on the floor watching tv and the dog needed to go out. I was busy watching tv, so I ignored her. Well, she crawled on my back and peed! :eek2: You can bet after that, if she even looked at the door I jumped up! :p I loved that dog and was heartbroken when she disappeared at age 14. She followed me everywhere, and I have a cousin that still has a scar on his chest from her! He jumped on me one time, and in an instant my dog flew in. My husky is much the same, I just don't need protected now. ;)

Hammer trx450r
05-28-2004, 07:11 PM
you cant run a dog that just ate!! the're stomach will turn over and kill the dog. you also can't run them before a meal too. 2 or 3 small meals and thats it. a dog will eat himself sick if not used to getting food on a timely basis

Hammer trx450r
05-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Also the dog is running on adrenaline for the first week so take it easy. 6 yrs old is old for an abused or abandoned dog. And I want to thank you for giveing that dog a good home;) . She or he will repay you for the rest of there life. Mine was 1 1/2 yrs old herehttp://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/hammer450r/in_truck.jpg[/IMG]

Guy400
05-28-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by 400exmom
id prolly pant hard too... There's just something about when you talk about panting :eek2: :bandit:

Guy400
05-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Now, about the dog. You say she's kept outside. When she's laying in the grass panting real hard is there any shade she can get to or she in the sun all day?

diesel-mech
05-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by blondie69
Dogs sweat threw their tongues, so it's probably just over heating.
And by the sounds of it...givin it waaay to much dog food:eek2: Try to feed the dog when u eat, like give it a cup or two of dog chow for breakie, lunch, and supper. Don't refill the dish, or else it'll become obeese (sp)
But still...take it to the vet asap!!!

Blondie is right, If you plug a dogs nose you will sufficate it. They only breath through thier nose, when they pant its to cool themselves off. My lab pants so much it annoying and he is very heathly.
As far as feeding goes I feed my lab 2 times a day. I give him 4 hands full of food 2 tims a day. Just stick my hand in the bag grab a hand full of food and put it in the bowl (4 times) He stays at 78lbs and looks very healthy. He is also very active, I take him swimming about 3 times a week. Helps to cool him down.
I hope your dog is OK:)

bulkdriverlp
05-28-2004, 08:12 PM
take that doggie to the vet. shephards are the best dogs imo. had one for 4 years was the best, 96lbs black with sable feet. them dogs will die for ya. they le fight to the end to protect ya, take care of it. mine ended up with eye desease couldnt afford the 6,000 not guaranteed surgery.:( ed

xr50layke
05-28-2004, 08:43 PM
im laying down with my beagle under my arm right now :) (computer beside bed), i think ill get another dog soon. but what kind? im thinking G shepard

ReconRider25
05-28-2004, 08:51 PM
^^^gotta love a german shepard. mine is 2 years old and her name is maxie. shes quite the hell raiser.:p pretty destructive when theyre pups. but smart tho. we got her trained with sign language and word commands.:) kinda weird how its the same dog from when we first got her.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/pe68ee1bd4012ac38840fdff4c0883754/f87fbe84.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid118/p8e595436729caa2acc337deb35024399/f87fbe80.jpg

bulkdriverlp
05-28-2004, 09:08 PM
nice shephard, mine was a male, pee-d on everything wish i had a female , good lookin dog!:D ed

ReconRider25
05-28-2004, 09:10 PM
^^^thanks.:D shes actually pretty big for a female. weights bout 90-95 pounds but all muscle.:p

Punk'd
05-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Nice dog man hope whatever is wrong with it turns out to be nothing.

Kennethyfz450
05-28-2004, 11:01 PM
my last dog i had was 6 yrs ago it was a australian shepard i paid for that dog and it died or parvo..
then around 3 years later my step sister got her a beatle..
which is still alive and kicking..
======================

starting tomorrow i am going to work on walking it with a leash so i can take it to the park hopefully by next weekend so she can get used to hanging around other dogs..
----------------------------------------------------

the dog stays on the porch which keeps most of the sun out..
unless i am outside it.. then its with me.. LOVES to go riding in a car..
--------------------

thanks for all of your help.. i just got done playing with the little fart and she seems to be doing a whole lot better i believe she was just hot today, and i may have gave her to much food.. i was going to take pictures but my battery in my digital camara is dead but expect pictures tomorrow.. i love my german shepard.. to bad it doesnt have a tail ... some weirdo cliped it:( ..

------------------------

right now it seems to be breathing just fine, relaxed laying back on the swing with his pillow, with his little dental bone..

--- --

by the way all of those dogs look good.. also the vet guy guessed that he was between 9-12 weeks old and wrote down 12 weeks old on paper..

Ryan
05-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Very good thread!

I own a keeshound and she (Keela) is 15 years old and still likes to play like a puppy (once in a while.)

We just brang her to the vet often and found how how much water and food she should have...... I love my dog to death!

FTR250Rnif
05-29-2004, 10:59 AM
I hope your dog turns out ok. I gotta white shepard and hes at the vet right now:( I hate when my dog gets sick

Kennethyfz450
05-29-2004, 09:32 PM
today i got up thinking i was going to take my dog to the vet. but as soon as i went out the front door it jumped on me and then grabed its ball and we played for about 3 mins then she done here own thing laying around chewing on bones while i rub her tummy.. i tryied to do the feed her twice a day thing but she didnt like it..

when we ate breakfast i went outside and gave her a cup full of food... and spinkled a little bit of water on it so it be easy for her to chew.. and i came back and i noticed she ate all of her food.. i was wanting to go get her some more but i realized she could be getting sick of it.. so i pay with her and then she goes to her dog bowl and starts winning. . so i go in the house and got her some more food and she just looked at it and took a few bites and left it alone.. i think she likes having some food laying around.. i guess makes her feel more secure since she starved most of her life..

all day while i was riding i was thinking about my little puppy.. i came home early to play with it.. its nice having a puppy again!