PDA

View Full Version : c'mon, ya know ya wanna read this!

my03-400ex
05-28-2004, 03:18 PM
hey, i havent been riding for awhile :(:(, and it doesnt want to start now... when i (try to ) start it, it sounds like the battery is drained... it wont turn over at all

i know its because i dont get to ride a lot, so basically its just sitting for a few weeks at a time, then i ride, then it sits for a few omre weeks.... is there anything i can maybe put in the gas, or something else i can do to it so that this doesn't happen?? thanks..

ZSK
05-28-2004, 03:24 PM
You can get a battery tender, supplies a trickle charge that turns off automatically. I'd suggest running most/all of your gas out and filling up with new each time you ride.

ewalker302
05-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I know there is this stuff called sta-bil (i think) you can get at most auto parts stores to keep the gas fresh, but the gas should be ok unless you let it sit for a long time.

You prob just need to charge the battery for a bit, they are bad about loosing charge when sitting for a while.

Even if you cant ride, just go out & crank your quad & let it idle for like 5 min every week.
:bandit:

my03-400ex
05-28-2004, 05:51 PM
ok... another thing...
when i tried starting it the other day, it wouldn't turn over at all... the battery at first was fine, but after a minute, it wound down, and i dont think its got any better since.. so i guess my questiion is why is it not starting (or at least turning over) in the first place?
thanks, again

atvracr350
05-28-2004, 08:52 PM
I know if you let gas sit too long especially higher octane gas it will turn into a thick liquid that doesn't want to burn well. That may be part of your problem. Another thing is that the battery may need to be fully charged to get your bike going. Idk. Try making sure your spark plug is firing good, your jets are right. There are a few things that could make it not start.

2003400exmnymds
05-29-2004, 06:53 AM
i agree with atvracer your gas is probably getting too old by the time you get to ride again. Also, your battery might have a dead cell so it seems like youve got a charge but when you try to turn it over it dies supre fast.

my03-400ex
05-29-2004, 07:31 AM
i know the spark plug and jets are good, and my battery charger is charging(lol) so when thats done i'll try that.. if it doesnt want to start then then i will change the gas and see what happens.

my03-400ex
05-29-2004, 01:45 PM
well, the battery is just dead... i went to walmart and got an everstart, i'm gonna try that now and see if it works; wish me luck!:)

my03-400ex
05-29-2004, 04:24 PM
it was the damn battery! that's good, now it runs just fine... thanks for all the ideas, guys