PDA

View Full Version : well the 440 back together

woprs50
05-28-2004, 02:47 PM
ups pulled up earlier and brought my cylinder so i put it all back together i fired it up seems like it runs pretty good i didnt get to ride it yet because i let a friend use my clutch cable since my bike was down

im pretty sure its running lean its the FCR 40mm carb and its got a 170 main I think i need to go up a few sizes

im just glad it finally runs again

cals400ex
05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
make sure you give us an update on the bike and CARB!!

woprs50
06-01-2004, 11:25 AM
well i got my clutch cable back and took it for a ride it pulls really hard in the midrange but up top theres nothing there i pulled the plug and its bleach white im gonna order a jet kit for a CRF 450 today then it should be on :macho

Quadzilla
06-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Just go to your local shop and get a few Keihin jets. Should be about $5 a piece give or take. If it's that lean, start with a 180 and go up from there. Also, if you are using race gas, it burns white on the plug no matter what. I though mine was way lean but it was actually rich and the race gas masked it. Good luck!

woprs50
06-01-2004, 11:50 AM
hmm im running straight 110 so i guess its gonna be tough to tune it according to the plug huh ?

im almost totally positive its lean cause it seems like its running really hot

komatsu kid
06-01-2004, 01:18 PM
i got a 440 with a fcr 39 and my jetting is 52pilot 185main and it runs awsome

cals400ex
06-01-2004, 02:11 PM
boy, that is how my fcr 39 was. great bottom end power but top end was no quicker than stock. i was never really satisfied. i tried numerous mainjets. the only thing, i did leave the stock needle in there. i didn't try the emp or emn. i currently have a fcr 40 but it isn't on the bike yet. i had a fcr expert tune mine. i said i wanted more top speed. he put in a lean needle and this means you need a larger mainjet accoring to him. he said the needle will greatly affect what main you need to use. he put a 180 in my bike. that was with the lean needle, 11:1 426, hotcam, x-6, open air box lid, 525 feet above sea level, and 70 -80 degrees. he said that was a guess for him since he never ran this carb on a 400ex. he makes custom jets kits for the crf 450 so he is very familiar the fcr 40 but just not on the ex.

you don't think the intake boot you made is restricting air flow up top do you? just a thought. i haven't decided how i will mount mine yet. how did you plug your tps and hot start?

ghak99
06-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
Just go to your local shop and get a few Keihin jets. Should be about $5 a piece give or take. If it's that lean, start with a 180 and go up from there. Also, if you are using race gas, it burns white on the plug no matter what. I though mine was way lean but it was actually rich and the race gas masked it. Good luck!

Is all race fuel this away? We got a good reading the other day on my buddies 440.

I would also advise just buying jets, jet kits are really a waste of money.

F-16Guy
06-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Are any of you guys using that billet adapter for the 40 FCR? It looks pretty nice. It repositions the carb to eliminate the clearance problem. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that you have to grind off the lip on the intake side of the carb and attach the adapter with epoxy or a similar adhesive. If I every have enough spare cash for the 40mm FCR, I think I'll give it a shot (unless I start hearing bad reviews).

cals400ex
06-02-2004, 01:25 PM
we actually aren't useing that adaptor. some people didn't like the idea of using epoxy to hold it on. i am undecided. i am thinking it may be the easiest way and best looking. i am not sure....

woprs50
06-02-2004, 01:42 PM
you don't think the intake boot you made is restricting air flow up top do you? just a thought. i haven't decided how i will mount mine yet. how did you plug your tps and hot start? [/B][/QUOTE]

no the boot i made isnt restrictive at all the inside diameter is a hair bigger than the back of the carb all the way through

the tps came on the carb i bought from service honda so you just dont hook it up its just a plug with some wires you dont have to do anything and as far as the hotstart basically the same thing it comes with it in place just no cable just put a dab of silicone in the boot that the cable is supposed to go through

woprs50
06-02-2004, 01:48 PM
personally im going to spend the money and get the jet kit that way i have extra needles to play with and on these carbs your supposed to chande the air jet and the main jet at the same time and with the kit it should tell me which air jet to use with which main

another one of my problems might be that i still have the stock air filter

cals400ex
06-02-2004, 02:11 PM
let me know how the jetting goes.

Quadzilla
06-02-2004, 02:34 PM
With the race gas, I get going up on the main thinking that I was lean because the plug was white. Race gas makes the plug white so you can't get a good plug reading with that. I finally took mine to a perf tuning shop and had them hook it up to an 02 analyzer. Turns out I was waayy rich. I ended up with a 165 main, needle 4th clip. The mechanic also told me that sometimes porting (like I have on my head) can actually make you run a tad leaner main jet rather than a richer one. Strange huh... Anyway, it runs like a champ now!!!

cals400ex
06-02-2004, 05:17 PM
With the race gas, I get going up on the main thinking that I was lean because the plug was white. Race gas makes the plug white so you can't get a good plug reading with that. I finally took mine to a perf tuning shop and had them hook it up to an 02 analyzer. Turns out I was waayy rich. I ended up with a 165 main, needle 4th clip. The mechanic also told me that sometimes porting (like I have on my head) can actually make you run a tad leaner main jet rather than a richer one. Strange huh... Anyway, it runs like a champ now!!!

is this with the fcr 40 or 39? also, what needle do you run?

K_Fulk
06-02-2004, 06:25 PM

Thats what i'm running on my 39mm fcr, plug checks aren't a good indicater on jetting on the 400ex.

Quadzilla
06-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
is this with the fcr 40 or 39? also, what needle do you run?

40mm FCR (Service Honda 2003 CRF 450 carb). Stock CRF needle also.