PDA

View Full Version : hardweld rockers!?

jay's 400ex
03-22-2002, 01:40 PM
how many of u guys out there have got yer rockers done after havin it bored? jus curious to know who all has done it and who hasnt cuz i'm gettin mine bored and was gonna get the rockers done by web cam til i found out that it costs $65/rocker!! so i'm jus gonna wait on that for awhile! later, thanx

VegasEx'r
03-22-2002, 01:47 PM
What determines the need to hardface the rockers is what cam you are using. There are a lot of "drop in cams" that don't require hardfaced fockers. Are you switching your cam, if so, what are you putting in? If you aren't switching your cam, don/'t worry about the rockers. You also might want to give Tom Carlson at TC Racing a call. When I talked to him about it, he said that stock rockers were already hardened, so it wasn't quite as necessary as some cam maker might have you think.

VegasEx'r
03-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah, to answer your question (rather than give you what might be useless info). I didn't hardface my rockers.

Giz400ex
03-22-2002, 02:24 PM
I did, I am dropping a bigger cam though. Still waiting to get everything back too!!!

quadfamily
03-22-2002, 06:41 PM
it depends on who you talk to. Most people say if the cam is not welded on then you don't need hardweld rockers. But then again some people say even if the cam isn't welded on (just reground)you need hardweld rockers because of the stiffer valvesprings you must use. I just talked to a guy today who builds engines/races quads and he siad non hardened rockers last about 2 years and hardened last about 4. I know this doesn't answer the question but I'm just as confused about it as you!

Dunlap
03-23-2002, 03:09 AM
The trick is keeping the rocker's cool. I just posted on this under decking cylinder's.