PDA

View Full Version : help with rev box please

garett
05-28-2004, 01:26 PM
03 400ex stage 1 hotcam e series ,14tooth ,kn n modded lid. mods i was gonna get a rev box would this help me at all? whats a good one to buy if im gonna purchase it it will be tonite please help me with this dont want to hurt the motor tho... tyvm

TC426EX
05-28-2004, 02:37 PM
A rev box is almost mandatory for the 400. The stock ignition curve and rev limiter are a joke. You will be better off with any rev box but there are a couple things to consider..... If you get a box like the white brothers, big gun, sparks, or that type, you will be able to find one cheap on ebay or what not. These have a more aggressive curve that will increase your throttle response and will also raise your max RPM's about 1000 rpms. The bike wont cut out on top end anymore and you will have alot snappier response. The problem with these type of boxes is that it is essentially a 250x ignition curve, and it makes the 400ex really hard to start most of the time. The other option you have is to get a box from TC racing or GT Thunder. These boxes use an even more aggressive curve and raise the RPM's even higher. The advantage to these boxes is that they are actually designed for the 400ex and high compression motors so you wont have the starting problems with these. I can tell you from experience that I used to run a WB box and once I got my motor built it absolutely would not start with it. I sold it and got a TC racing box and it fires up super fast and has much better performance. I would go with the TC box personally but like I said, any of the boxes you go with will give you an instant improvement. The TC will give you better performance and less headaches which is what made it the obvious choice for me......

Get TC's number and call tom carlson off their website at:

www.tcracingengines.com

thame2010
05-28-2004, 02:48 PM
like garett said.. is a rev box gonna hurt the motor?
lets say for a 400ex with a HMF slip on, K&N, Hotcams Stage 1.

TC426EX
05-28-2004, 03:47 PM
it WONT hurt the motor

garett
05-28-2004, 04:01 PM
how much is the tc? 125 or less if it is whats the best one i can afford?

cals400ex
05-28-2004, 04:23 PM
the extra rpms are hard on the motor though. the big bun is suppose to start in cold weather without a problem. the white brothers and sparks won't. the gt thunder advances your timing 6 degrees i believe. so, you shouldn't run this with a timing key in. i have heard good success with the big gun, tc, and gt thunder. i would call each company and find more info about each one before i ever put my money down.

Spikers400
05-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Can u explain what a rev box does exactly. Does it just let u push the engine over the stock limit, rpm wise? Because i dont think ive ever reached the rev limit and ive pushed it pretty far. Or maby i just never realized it. Does it do anything more then let it rev further?

Flo Bee
05-29-2004, 12:26 AM
I need a box badly for my 300EX... 2/3 throttle in 5th gear and I'm hitting the limiter. I'm down a size from stock on tires (rolling on Holeshots), and +1 on the countershaft.

I called Sparks today, but they don't do it on a core basis... I have to send my stock box and wait a week to get it back.

Anybody know a place that will sell a box for a 300EX without me having downtime?

thame2010
05-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by garett
how much is the tc? 125 or less if it is whats the best one i can afford?
yeah.. how much $$$ is it :confused:

cals400ex
05-29-2004, 02:26 AM
i am thinking the tc may be a tad more than $125 but i don't remember exactly.

TC426EX
05-29-2004, 05:31 AM
The TC is 149.99 but worth every penny........