PDA

View Full Version : If you know about whites e-series

quadrider400
05-27-2004, 10:50 PM
I seem short power and almost got nailed by a stock 400 :eek:
Now it could have been gearing (i have a post up on that) or rear tires (my Geckos vs his Haulers) or I may not have enough back pressure.

I have the mods listed below and am trying to do some fine tuning between jetting, gearing, tire size and exhaust plates.

I figured hey I got 13 plates (sound issues aside :devil: ) so run'um... however I wonder if I have reduced my back pressure to the point where a few less would give me more power and (yes) less sound.

Soooooooooooo what are ya'll doin.....????

How many plates with what mods and results...

Thanks for your time... Quad

JOEX
05-27-2004, 11:05 PM
What kind of riding were you doing when you almost got nailed by a stock 400?

RytM1
05-27-2004, 11:47 PM
If you were racing him, I will almost guarantee part of it was a tire problem. I used Gecko's for a while with my 416, and they worked pretty good. Once I added the FCR39 to it, there seemed to be too much HP for the Gecko's to hook up off the line. Over the winter, I had the head ported and polished, and I knew that there was no way the Gecko's were gonna handle the extra torque. I bought a set of Extreme Haulers (9 paddle), and it was a world of difference. I loved the way they hooked up. Now, if I can just get that damn FCR fine tuned!! Plus, I'm only running 12 discs on my e-series.

Martin Blair
05-28-2004, 12:27 AM
the dest paddles with bite i have found is the gbc sand devil, not high dollar but for the price they rip.

quadrider400
05-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
What kind of riding were you doing when you almost got nailed by a stock 400?
Just racing ... by nailed I meant beat..... should not have happened.....:devil:

quadrider400
05-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
If you were racing him, I will almost guarantee part of it was a tire problem. I used Gecko's for a while with my 416, and they worked pretty good. Once I added the FCR39 to it, there seemed to be too much HP for the Gecko's to hook up off the line. Over the winter, I had the head ported and polished, and I knew that there was no way the Gecko's were gonna handle the extra torque. I bought a set of Extreme Haulers (9 paddle), and it was a world of difference. I loved the way they hooked up. Now, if I can just get that damn FCR fine tuned!! Plus, I'm only running 12 discs on my e-series. Do you think one disk would make a differance? I have to go to 5 or 6 to make the sound checks....:(

RytM1
05-28-2004, 06:44 AM
I can't say for sure. I never messed with them. I have always run 12. Try it and see. There might even be a few threads about the discs on here.

04'400ex'er
05-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Isn't the rule of thumb that the less disks, the louder and more power? That sucks a stocker almost beat you but it has to do with the tires.

H_W
05-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Isn't the rule of thumb that the less disks, the louder and more power? That sucks a stocker almost beat you but it has to do with the tires.

The less disks, the more bottom end, and more disks means more top end. Mine came with 12 and that's what I run, but I took the solid disk out so it is just straight through. I have never even been close to getting beat by a stock or piped 400. Also, the more disks, the louder it is, but if you take the solid disk out it is very loud.

MrTrendy1
05-28-2004, 09:16 AM
I run mine with no disks and no spark arrestor and that thing is louder than hell. I noticed more torque when I took off everything. If you leave the end piece off, the little piece that curves down a little, whatever its called, the pipe isn't as loud though. I don't care if I am breaking the db limits or not. No one around where I live says a word or cares, so why stop.

H_W : I have ran with 6 disks, 12 disks, and no disks. I don't know why you think with more disks its louder?? The more disks I put it, the quieter it was. Those disks help muffle the sound from what I can tell, as well as provide more back pressure to give more top end. You are right in saying without the solid disk (spark arrestor) it is very loud though.

As far as getting beat by a stock ex, I don't think I will be beat by one. Heck, I almost beat my friends z400 after he put a full exhaust system on his. From what I've read, the EX is almost evenly matched with the Z. Technically, I have more done to mine than he does to his but oh well, I had holeshot!

airheadedduner
05-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Its the paddles, geckos suck. I notice very little difference between running 6 discs and 12. Doing a plug check it looks identical between the 2 setups.

JOEX
05-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Its the paddles, geckos suck. I notice very little difference between running 6 discs and 12. Doing a plug check it looks identical between the 2 setups.
I agree with that. I haven't used Geckos but haven't heard much good about them, I do use Haulers:D The gearing will make a big difference depending on the height of the tires

I also ran 4 discs once last summer for sound issues. Noticed a bit of power loss but nothing to complain about.

ewalker302
05-28-2004, 11:44 PM
I have a megamaxx (discs) and I used to run all the discs.

After I got it jetted right I tried dropping one disc at a time, now I run 8 or 9, and it def runs better than w/all. Going up or down just one disc made a noticable difference. Just try taking out like 4 then try going up/down one at a time till it runs best. With too many discs in I could feel a loss of throttle response.
Should be similar w/the e series.

H_W is right:
More discs=louder+top end. Fewer discs=quieter+bottom.

:bandit:

H_W
05-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ewalker302

H_W is right:
More discs=louder+top end. Fewer discs=quieter+bottom.

:bandit:

Thanks for backing me up, I tried 8 disks once and it felt like it had more bottom end. But after I did my motor mods, I put 12 back on. And then I met this guy out riding one day and he suggested taking the solid disk out. He said it would run better. It seemed to work, so I left it off.

Ok and about the more disks making it louder and less making it quieter. I think I know where the misunderstanding is coming from. If you don't use the solid disk at the end, then it doesn't matter how many disks you use, because it will be straight through anyway. Think about this, if you take all disks off but the solid one it would be really quiet right. It would have to be, there would be no hole for the exhaust to escape through. The more disks you use, the bigger the hole is for the exhaust to exit the motor. Hope this makes sense, it did before I started typing anyway.

Flo Bee
05-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by H_W
Ok and about the more disks making it louder and less making it quieter. I think I know where the misunderstanding is coming from. If you don't use the solid disk at the end, then it doesn't matter how many disks you use, because it will be straight through anyway. Think about this, if you take all disks off but the solid one it would be really quiet right. It would have to be, there would be no hole for the exhaust to escape through. The more disks you use, the bigger the hole is for the exhaust to exit the motor. Hope this makes sense, it did before I started typing anyway.

Exactly, man. You've got to run more disks for more flow. The more disks you have, the more flow you acheive, because you have more flow area between each disk. You lose this, however, if you remove the solid disk. The air is no longer drawn through the disks, but simply exits out of the end, for the most part. You can exceed the flow of the open end by keeping it closed and adding disks.

I forget the volume you get with each disk you add, but WB includes a formula to figure out how many inches of flow you're getting.

hondarider2006
05-29-2004, 03:54 PM
get an HMF....no disks to mess with and a much better pipe;)

MrTrendy1
05-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by H_W

I follow ya now. I guess what I was looking at was the fact that I had the spark arrester still on there and it wasn't as loud as when I took it off. I ran 12 disks with it and didn't really hear a difference between that an 6 disks. I noticed small power difference though. I took all of them off and just left the tip on, boy is that thing loud! Tons of torque now. I like it better this way.