PDA

View Full Version : Fox Air Shocks

trout
05-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Fox, is comming out with new shocks im sure some of you have seen them, they are the motorcross version of their Fox Float shox they make for bicycles.

Little known fact, Fox ownes the patent for all of the current shock designs on the market now, Every company pays them a fee to use the design for a "coil over" design. Their new shock only weighs 2.8 pds!! and uses and air pump to adjust the compressiond and rebound, very easy to use on the bikes, I have one.

Anyone used this shock or know anything about it??

They look trick, there is a full page ad in the July/august issue of ATV Sport on page 24.

check it out, Ill bet they are the future of ATV shocks.

trout

PEPwalshZ440
05-27-2004, 05:01 PM
if i were you, i would stick to a pair of shocks that you know will be quality...not $800 shocks that ride on air

WOracing
05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by PEPwalshZ440
if i were you, i would stick to a pair of shocks that you know will be quality...not $800 shocks that ride on air

This is what i was thinking...

05-27-2004, 05:27 PM
be our guest though to try them out & tell us if they are really worth it.:blah:

ProConcept
05-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Fox shocks have been used on top sno cross race machines (snowmobiles) for years and now their air shock is used on TONS of pro level sleds. If they can take a beating like in sno-x with a 450 lb sled on them (not including rider weight) im sure they will be great for mx quads. Arctic Cat is even putting them on their production firecat sleds which have the sno-pro package.

honda350r
05-27-2004, 10:41 PM
I have ran Fox Shox air shocks 4 years ago! They work great for lightweight drag quads !Cost about 500.00 for a PEP valved Fox air shock !

Matt102
05-28-2004, 08:57 PM
I was just gonna say the same thing proconcept. Do you do any sno-x'ing?

86atc250r
05-29-2004, 12:53 AM
I find it hard to believe that Fox owns some sort of patent on the coil over shock design and companies like Showa, Kayaba, Ohlins, Axis, Works, King, etc --- not to mention automotive applications (Bilstein, Koni, Edelbrock, OEMs, etc) pay them licensing.

I did a patent search (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=fox+factory&FIELD1=ASNM&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=INST&d=ptxt) and found Fox has some patents on some position sensitive damping setups and a couple other things but found nothing that had anything to do with coil over shocks themselves.

Bender
05-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Little known fact, Fox ownes the patent for all of the current shock designs on the market now, Every company pays them a fee to use the design for a "coil over" design.

trout [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats just not true at all. "coil overs" have been around many, many years before Fox was even founded.

justinh
05-30-2004, 04:23 PM
They have been producing these shocks for vehicles for quite awhile now too. They have gotten huge in the offroading/rock crawling crowd.

czrider263
06-28-2005, 02:56 PM
i live very close to eca. one day john natalies bike was in there. i felt both the back anf front shocks. the back shock is SO smoth that it is insane, but the rear is not a air shock. the fronts on the quad are really stiff the frist time u press on them, then they get nice and smoth. then closer to the bottom they get really stiff. a perfect set up. can't wait till i can get them. pulse they cheaper than pep elka axis.

czrider263
06-28-2005, 02:56 PM
i live very close to eca. one day john natalies bike was in there. i felt both the back anf front shocks. the back shock is SO smoth that it is insane, but the rear is not a air shock. the fronts on the quad are really stiff the frist time u press on them, then they get nice and smoth. then closer to the bottom they get really stiff. a perfect set up. can't wait till i can get them. pulse they cheaper than pep elka axis.

JRP
06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
id just go with elka. JMO

k&k_400ex_82
06-28-2005, 04:19 PM
i saw the fox air shock trialer rolling down the interstate today in my area. they were heading into iowa.............why would they be comming this way