View Full Version : yall think predator is a good quad?

motochamp250
05-27-2004, 01:19 PM
do yall think the predator is a good quad post opinion and why or why not you think it is or isn't a good quad

Karizz
05-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I had a 03 ...I liked it, just too heavy....it is fast and turns amazingly,I sold it and bought a YFZ.....but then again..I sold my YFZ to get a 450R which Im stickin with!

motochamp250
05-27-2004, 05:00 PM
yd u get rid of yfz??

motochamp250
05-27-2004, 05:04 PM
do u think pred would be a good quad to juss play around on and trail ride and jump etc.?

Karizz
05-27-2004, 06:46 PM
The Predator is a great quad, excellent suspension good jumping just a little too heavy to throw around in the air unless you are a big dude!.I sold my YFZ in december cause Honda decided to come out with the 450r and I prefer Honda quality over Yamaha.I think The Honda is a well built quad and the are made to last and take the abuse.

roostin_dale
05-27-2004, 06:52 PM
he summed it up! My dad has one.

They are very nice quads and very reliable believe it or not! The only thing I don't like about it, its too dang heavy, that thing is a beast..

rollie
05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
i like the perd.....im thinking about getting one....:)

i really like raths pred...it sick!!!!!! :blah:

QuadJunkies
05-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by motochamp250
do yall think the predator is a good quad post opinion and why or why not you think it is or isn't a good quad Its all about preference.....;)

Ours has been great......It will be alot better once I get that shorter swing Arm on it..:macho the rear wheel spin is tough on a track I must say.....Are you getting the 04 model?If so, you shouldnt have that problem........:)

motochamp250
05-28-2004, 01:28 PM
well the one i am looking at is an '03 its new have yall had any trouible out of the 03's and i am a big guy so i need a big quad w/ good suspension and all i will be doin pretty much is trail riding on my farm land so yall think this is the quad for me? yall had any trouble w/ o3's?

roostin_dale
05-28-2004, 01:30 PM
the 03's had a recall on front brakes, make sure the update was done...

remlapr
05-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Only thing I don't like about them is the way the seat setup pushes you into a forward riding position.

motochamp250
05-28-2004, 03:30 PM
i sm lookin at an 03 yall heard any probs with em? i heard something about a tranny but i dunno if thats juss them being hard on it or if the tranny is actually bad thanks for the info hunter

Ball
05-29-2004, 11:25 AM
I had heard in the mags that the trannys were hard shifting. Do a search in Dirt Wheels site.

04'400ex'er
05-29-2004, 03:23 PM
They ride a little rough and i think they are ugly

QuadJunkies
05-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by motochamp250
i sm lookin at an 03 yall heard any probs with em? i heard something about a tranny but i dunno if thats juss them being hard on it or if the tranny is actually bad thanks for the info hunter we have an 03 and yes, they have had some recall parts to them(hats off to them stepping up and taking care of us!) We have had no issues what so ever with ours we even had it inspected..looks like new......:D If you do your proper maintence(stick to thsoe routine oil changes!! very important!) use your clutch ( I hear of many,many riders that dont and then they wonder why they had gears going out:o ) If this is a used quad, go over VERY carefully, make sure its been taken care of ....also ask if they got the new frame replaced while it was under recall,virtually everyone will have issues with the old w/o gusset being done if your going to jump it any.....The shifint does seem notchy to me, my ole man doesnt notice at all, that alwso depends on rider Im used to my smoothness of my honda:blah: but the power in the Predator is AWESOME!!!Im not sure why someone would think the ride was rough on one:huh the stock suspention is great!!! Maybe they had there shocks out of whack they arent Axis, but there alot better than most you can buy on a stock machine.....
I have to agree with remlapr....I dont like the way it pushes you forwardeither or the shifter is not postioined with my height so I have to ift my leg literally to shift alot...Again, this is just me my husband LOVES it and fits him to a T......;)
Have you rode one yet??? Best thing to do is to just go out and try one and see if it siut you and your needs....
If I had it my way and could trade in my Honda or just outright buy another quad..........I would be buying that new Yami !!!

and thought I would NEVER say that!!!:eek: :o

bama400ex
05-30-2004, 11:25 AM
i see your in tennesse. i dont know how far you are from chattanooga but you can get an '04 there for $4800 or $4900 cash otd. thats where i purchased mine at. alot of people like to put down the polaris but its a great quad. im no pro but ive been riding for 17 years and its the best stock quad ive ever rode. i dunno but it just seems to fit me perfect. there is a few small things that could be better and it is higher maintenance than i was hoping it would be but it aint no big deal. i will tell you im pretty rough on things and everything ive ever had was high maintenance though.

Braff1
05-31-2004, 10:14 AM
Alot of people complain about the weight of the predator, but if you take in account that it has a Team heavy duty axle, in some instances 4" wider than some of the stock quads out there. The front suspension in 19" similar to long travel suspension. The rear swing are is steel instead of aluninum (like most aftermarkets).

The power is impressive and by changing the front sprocket to a 13t it really makes the pred growl. The 04 has a shorter swing arm to help with the wheel spin issue. For 360.00 you can upgrade the suspension to triple rates on the front and get a better spring for the rear from HPD (and be able to do it yourself).

Things I don't like. The width but I race xc. I have got the front down to 45" and I am working fixing the rear to get to 46" ( I don't want to buy the aftermarket hubs). Now with my seat 1) I ride up on the tank anyway, 2) after putting on the new rear spring it lowered the rear about a 1.5" so that it not as steep of a angle.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid86/pc2ed381f7363deda0f94206eec3faece/fab1fe8d.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid86/p1b6d5aa47d96dbdaef456e5a06dec5f9/fab1fecb.jpg

Mitch_McComb
06-04-2004, 01:38 PM
I like mine.
It takes a little more effort to lift off of the truck than my 400 =-)
It is all about preference, this quad fits me good and I'm very comfortable on it. I origionally purchased it because I never thought the 450R would come out. But now that I've ridden both I really don't want to sell it. I do notice the back end kick loose when you hit the throttle but I just had to adapt. When I put my new seat cover on I formed a piece of foam to eliminate the sliding up on the seat.

DESDAK4
06-04-2004, 08:17 PM
If my little 150 pound butt can ride a KFX 700 harrd enough to keep up with a Predator, then anyone can do what ever they want on a Predator. My buddy has one and it has stood up to abuse like you would not believe and fast holy cow that thing moves. Very nice quad in my opinion.

Jay
BS Racing