PDA

View Full Version : Adjusted valves but want to make sure?

SHANE03EX
05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I adjusted my valvles yesterday but want to make sure I did it right because this is the first time I have done it. The manuel says you need to feel slight drag on the feeler but that is pretty vauge. Should I be able to fit the next size between the the rockers???? I am asking because the is still valve ticking in there and I thought It was supposed to make I quieter but its about the same.

94snake300ex
05-27-2004, 01:13 PM
You should not be able to fit the next size larger in there at all. It should be really snug to pull and push the right size in and out. But you should know it will never be silent.

SHANE03EX
05-27-2004, 01:17 PM
I figured that. Looks like I have to have another go at it tonite. I have gotten pretty good at taking the 400ex apart and putting it back together. I should be able to re-adjust the valves in less than an hour.

cals400ex
05-27-2004, 05:17 PM
it is more than slight drag. with slight drag you would definately be able to fit the next size in. make sure the next size won't fit in and you should be good to go.

diesel-mech
05-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Make sure the rocker arm is free and in position for correct adjustment. loosen the lock nut and back off adjusting screw (about 1/2 to 3/4 turn is fine just to make it easy to get your feeler gauge in place), put your feeler gauge under the rocker arm, just hold the feeler gauge there, now with a very sensitive motion tighten your adjusting screw until it JUST MAKES CONTACT with the feeler gauge and the tappet (your removing all lash so its all metal touching metal, no gaps) tighten the lock nut while holding the adjusting screw in place. NOTE: some times when you tighten the locknut it can tighten or loosen your lash. The slightest movement makes a monster difference in the adjustment.
now you want to check the drag on the feeler gauge that you've LEFT IN PLACE. if you can move it with just 2 fingers on the gauge but you have to put JUST ALITTLE EFFORT into it your ok, but if you can move it very easily with no effort with just 2 fingers its to loose readjust it, if it takes alot of effort but you can still move it than it is probably holding the valve open slightly (valve springs are normally weak as they start opening) and you don't want that, its too tight. readjust it. I typically hold the feeler gauge as close to the base as I can, its more accurate because the gauge doesn't tend to fix as much.

If you have any questions PM me I adjust valves every single day, I promise you I'm the Charlie Danials of the feeler gauge!!!!:blah:

dariusld
05-27-2004, 06:32 PM
It would be alot easier if you didn't have to put the feeler gauge in at an angle:( I have those angled feeler gauges, but a straight shot is easier.

94snake300ex
06-01-2004, 01:27 PM
I took my straight feeler gauge and bent it at a custom angle to fit in the valve cover openigs nicely. It works great but nobody at honda wanted to make the exaust valves a little easier to adjust. They are in such a crappy position.

dariusld
06-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 94snake300ex
I took my straight feeler gauge and bent it at a custom angle to fit in the valve cover openigs nicely. Just bend them slow because I snapped the first one I ever did.

94snake300ex
06-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Just bend them slow because I snapped the first one I ever did.

Dont worry i bent it a while ago and it didnt snap but thanx for the belated warning.:macho