PDA

View Full Version : Fix for Smith Roll Offs

Pappy
05-27-2004, 08:48 AM
ok, i bought a new pair of Smith goggles with thier Roll Off system and the damn string broke:grr: Can this be fixed or what:confused: I havent looked at them close so I figured someone out there has had this happen and could tell me either to hang them on the wall as a reminder of what isnt quality or an easy fix:p

05-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ok, i bought a new pair of Smith goggles with thier Roll Off system and the damn string broke:grr: Can this be fixed or what:confused: I havent looked at them close so I figured someone out there has had this happen and could tell me either to hang them on the wall as a reminder of what isnt quality or an easy fix:p

How hard you tuggin on the string there pappy..:confused:

I figured you'd be great with strings and all.....:devil:

Pappy
05-27-2004, 08:57 AM
:mad: my string is short i swear:p

actually Cody used them in his last race. I was cleaning them afterwards and the damn thing snapped. It wasnt tight or nuttin:(

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Colby did the same thing a couple of weeks ago, his fix was order that side canister, his goggles are about a year old

gizmocor
05-27-2004, 01:14 PM
It can be fixed, be not cleanly. The canister bottom is glued or welded to the canister, so you have to carefully cut or break it off. Once you get it apart you can tie a new end or put a new string on. The hard part is getting it back together. You'll have to glue it or tape it, cause they ain't meant to come apart. It looks like sh** at least you can still use it if you need to.........

QuadRacer041
05-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

same thing happened to me and they warrentied them for me.

nuttynewt
05-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Had it happen to me on an older spare set and I pulled it apart carefully, pulled the string back out the hole, took a wire nut and drilled a little hole in the small end, threaded the (well, you get the picture...), then glued it back together with some epoxy and it was good to go.

It's actually easier to grab ahold of because the wire nut is bigger than the stock piece.

03GNCC270
05-27-2004, 03:53 PM
I ALWAYS TIE A KNOT IN THE STRING RIGHT AT THE KNOB IN CASE THEY WOULD BREAK AT LEAST THE STRING WILL NOT GO IN TO THE CANISTER.

ex kid
05-27-2004, 06:12 PM
i've broken a string on Scott's once.
i've learned that you can't let the string fly back to the canister, it's better to guide it back with your hand. also in mud don't pull the string when i the mud is dry.

i took a Scott canister apart and couldn't get it back together. i had to buy a new canister.

what 03GNCC270 said is a good idea.

Smith makes a raised lens for their roll off goggles that let the film sit very slightly above the goggle lens causeing less resistance on the string. you might want to try that Pappy.

redroost85
05-27-2004, 07:52 PM
You crazy woods riders, lol!:p

I've never used roll-offs, tear-offs, none of that crazy chit....just reach up with your hand....it's free!:D