PDA

View Full Version : New 400ex Owner

SoUpX
05-26-2004, 11:21 PM
I've been registered at the site for a while but i just recently bought a 2004 400ex, i got it for $4600 w/ helmet and it's basicly brand new. The guy had it a week and traded it for an automatic. It's my first quad, and I love it. I rode it all day over the weekend and put some mobil 1 red cap in after words. Still trying to get brave and learn to do wheelies and when i jump try to balanace myself so the front end doesnt spill or my tail doesnt fall, and still getting the hang of spinning it around, but i'll get it and love it even more. I've only rode a 300ex a z400 and recon in the past year, mostly the recon ( I felt a little more brave on it cause it's slower I think) I'll be the new guy asking all the obvious questions and everyone can tell me to search before i ask... J/K

quadmxracer
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Glad to see that you're enjoying your new quad and are having fun with it. Keep it real man.

IL400EX
05-27-2004, 10:43 AM
I think its known that the 400EX is one of the most forgiving ATV's ever built, you can screw up landings and such pretty bad and still ride them out. As for wheelies, no need to be scared, just start in 1st. Obivously you won't have the rear brake mastered yet, but the quad will just stand up on its grab bar, let go and a kick to the seat puts it back on all 4's.

redrunner
05-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Enjoy the ride!;)

SoUpX
05-27-2004, 12:09 PM
1st gear? My friends always told me 2nd and pop the clutch which i always questioned, i didnt think it needed it, I will practice wheelies this weekend It's something i feel I need to master:D When my buddies ask why I'm wheeling in 1st i'll just tell them to shut up and watch a pro at work :blah: just kidding

thanks for the tips

QUADMASTER
05-29-2004, 02:21 PM
I THINK YOUR FRIENDS WERE RIGHT WHEN THEY SAID 2ND GEAR BECAUSE 1ST IS TO LOW AND YOU HAVE TO SHIFT TO QUICK. IN 2ND YOU CAN RIDE IT OUT FOR A WHILE AND THEN HIT 3RD. IT'S ALL UP TO YOU THOUGH. HAVE FUN.

Greg Z
05-29-2004, 05:24 PM
hey when your jumping make sure you keep steady on the gass dont let go while jumping or give it to much

if you let go = your gonna nose dive
if you give gas in the air = tail dive
keep it steady through out = perfect :)

then when you land GUN IT!!! roost :devil:

hondarider2006
05-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Glad to hear you are having fun on your new 400!!!

As far as wheelies go, you can start out in any gear on these things to do them. I would say all the way into 3rd w/o poping the clucth, anything more and you will have to, unless you weigh more than me:p I still have to pop it a little in 4th, but once I find the balancing point, I can ride them for miles in 4th and 5th gear. Just takes practice:)