PDA

View Full Version : Racing Tips And Tricks

RideRed400StYlE
03-22-2002, 07:11 AM
Hey everyone. I am just currious to everyones tips and tricks in here. Please post maybe you will learn somthing too!! Anything from Holeshots to 75ft doubles tips for better control, and less body fatigue. any tips would be appreciated greatly

03-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Training:

I try to run 5 miles everyday on either a treadmill or outside if weather premitting. Breatheing is a very important part of endurance. Running or other cardo training will prevent you from getting tired early in a race.

I use a set of hand grippers 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a day. It helps build up your forearms to prevent arm pump.

Eating right. I cut soda/pop, beer, fast food, candy, and all junk food out of my diet. These drinks and foods are not a good source of long lasting energy, and will hurt you in the long run.

Ride when you can, but not too much. There is no exercise like riding. You use and work all of the right parts of the body. Mentally it gives you confidence. But if you over-due it, you could be sore come race day.

Race Day:

Eat a healthy breakfast. Banana's, Slim Fast bars, and Pedea Lite kid's drink are my favorite. Banana's help increase blood flow throughout the body. Slim Fast bars and Pedea Lite have long lasting vitamins and minerals that will keep you going strong all day long.

Pre-Race:

Rub some Icy-Hot into your forearms to help prevent arm pump.
Stretch out. Relax. Breathe.

At the start:

Remain calm and relaxed. Stay loose and remember to breathe. Riding stiff or not breatheing right will bring on the arm pump.
Remember.... Racing is 5% machine, 95% rider. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing and race your race.

Racing tips:

Make sure your machine is solid and capable of finishing the race.
To prevent your clutch from heating up, don't put your machine in gear until right before the start.
Don't ride the same line as the guy in front of you. His mistake now becomes yours.
Riding smooth and relaxed equals faster lap times.
Don't forget to have fun.......!

Chris
AMA District 23 Racer #66
2002 Laeger's/Pro Fab/Custom AXIS 365X
QuadSport MX, Quad 250A MX, QuadSport A XC
See ya at the races.......

VegasEx'r
03-22-2002, 10:55 AM
Hey Chris, thanks for the tips. I have one more question: you mentioned breating several times, what is the proper/best way to breath?

exriderdude
03-22-2002, 10:56 AM
one way to help prevent arm pump is to loosen your grip on bars when your in the air over a double or something.

03-22-2002, 12:26 PM
When someone becomes scared/excited/nervous (like in racing), the way they breathe changes. They may breathe faster, or take shorter breathes. When doing this, less oxygen finds it's way into your blood and to your muscules. Less oxygen going to an active muscule equals fagitue and cramps.

Breatheing is very important in an endurance sport like quad racing. Controling it comes with experiance and phyical training.

As funny as it sounds. Just breathe normal.

oynot400
03-22-2002, 01:00 PM
I can relate to this. I had one race last summer that this makes sence. During practice I was nevous and all wound up, it was not comferable to race. It was a while before the first moto and I had time to eat and relax, so that moto went better. Then the main I was completely relaxed, I was passing hopped up Banshee's and R's. If it wouldn't have been a crash that had me in a pile I would of done better that 7th. I still didn't think that was bad considering there was 25 of us! :D
I hope that this year is better, I have been working out and changed my diet to get into shape. I will know if it works by the end of the season.
StarkRacing, thanks for the tip on the hand grippers. I was wondering if that would help.

RideRed400StYlE
03-22-2002, 01:32 PM
These are very good so far, basicly what I have been tryin to do to prepare myself, but I know there are a lot more, like how do you work a rider that is in front of you out of the way so you can make a pass? or do you just wait and watch for him to make a mistake?

trx400ex
03-22-2002, 02:48 PM
ye, that was some great advice, keep them coming, i think im going to start running alot more, we just got a treadmill, and i need to break it in i guess:D , oh , and i do those grip things too

Tommy 17
03-22-2002, 04:07 PM
hey ride red are u gonna be racing district 5 in pa this year... i will be in june or july or so...

trx400ex
03-22-2002, 05:01 PM
im gonna be racing in district 5

with a 1 in front of it:D :D :D :D :D :D

03-22-2002, 07:25 PM
for holeshot u need to practice constantly, i usually start about 6 inches behind were the gate will fall, and when the card turns sideways watch the pivot on the gate u will see it move slightly b4 it drops and slowly in forward then when u see the pin move dump the clutch and pin it, at home i dont have a starting gate so ill watcha bird or a branch and when they move ill take off see how fast i can get to 5th, i do it 5-6 times a day

i wouldnt put too much time on the training the best trainin is just go out and ride and try to push your self , you dont need to run 45 minute motos, just go out and have fun or you will lose interest in the sport

RideRed400StYlE
03-22-2002, 07:57 PM
I am racing next year. I dont have the money to do it this year. maybe I will see you next year

Tommy 17
03-22-2002, 09:16 PM
kool mayb we will meet up!!!

RideRed400StYlE
03-23-2002, 05:58 AM
Maybe

03-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Stay away from beer the day before and the day of a race....Now if I can practice what I preach I'll be the fastest rider in KY..:D

Wired
03-25-2002, 02:55 PM
well if any you guys are still in high school go out for wrestling during the winter. you run 4 miles a day, hand squeezers constantly, you weight lift, and it really keeps you in good shape for spring. i wrestle from november to march and when the seasons done i just keep the running up. its a tough sport but if your like me and you like both, it really helps both ways.

Clay
03-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Hey Rico, where is Blackrock anyway?? I want to go ride there?? Whats the track like?? Do they have a web address??

03-25-2002, 03:12 PM
blackrock is in leitchfield....http://www.blackrockmotocross.com/

04-02-2002, 12:53 PM
VIDEO GAMES, Believe it or not video games help, they increase your hand eye cordination, the more technal the better. i have found shockwave's matching games very helpful. also make sure your clutch is lubed to the moon this will greatly reduce arm pump. Steel Braded Brake lines also help because the lines do not expand as much so therefore you don't have to squeaze as hard. PROPERLY ADJUSTED SUSPENTION have ur suspention customed to your specs, this will make your machine handle better as well as result in faster lap times.

rossdantonio@hotmail.com keep the rubberside down #16 Roost on!!!:devil

Nausty
04-04-2002, 10:12 PM
lol I have awsome hand eye coordination. Basically in study hall when i'm bored I take a mechanical pencil and spread out my hand and run the mechanical pencil through my fingers as possible. So its like I take my left palm and spread it out and in my right hand I hold the pencil in my hand and 'stab' inbetween my fingers going up and down my hand super fast. As i get better i'm gonna start using knives but I definetly won't be stupid though and i will definetally work my way up. I started doing it after seeing it in the end of one of my crusty videos I think a guy has a knife and does it super fast. Also I hardly ever get arm pump at motorcross tracks on my quad and I ride for HOURS non stop with out going back to the truck or anything. Usuelly I will ride for 4 hours total at a motorcross track and only stop for a couple minutes to rest or watch somone and I only go take a REAL break where I even take off my helmet once or twice.

trx400ex
04-05-2002, 07:44 AM
nausty, that is in the huevos movies, or quatros locos, becuase i havent seen any other movies, but i kno wive seen what your talking about,, yeah, i ride for hours on end without getting tired too, when my friends have to stop and take breaks every 5 minutes

oynot400
04-05-2002, 08:06 AM
You guys need to start smoking, that will fix your problem of riding for hour and not getting tired. :D

Taco
04-05-2002, 08:12 AM
Amen!

Originally posted by oynot400
You guys need to start smoking, that will fix your problem of riding for hour and not getting tired. :D :devil

trx400ex
04-05-2002, 08:22 AM
i dont look at it as a problem, i like being able to finish races