View Full Version : Need Help with Holeshot Rear tires

joe1l
05-26-2004, 10:18 PM
Ok I'm looking for some new rears for my 450R, I just bought new Holeshot XCR 21x7x10 for the front, and now I wasnt to get some holeshots for the rear. I ride mostly XC type riding but I also do some sand riding. I want something tough at least 4ply, but I also like something that will give me a liitle slip, so that I can spin the bike around nice and easy. I like the characteristics of mx tires but I want the durability of and XC tire. I like the look of the XCR's but the side lugs don't look like it would let me slide real well. I also understand that they would give me a little more bite than i would like. The next tire I considered is the XC tire, but from all the pics I have seen, they look very balloon like, which i don't like. I may be wrong about XC tires though. Does anyone own the XC's or the XCR's if so let me know how they are. I'm also quite interested in the new MXR4's, they look perfect except for the fact that they are only offered in 19" and I want to run a 20"inch rear tire. :huh

bradley300
05-26-2004, 10:36 PM
the xc's arent a rounded tire at all, there pretty flat all the way across. and your actually mistaken, the xcr's side lugs are said to increase sliding ability (at least on the older, shorter designs) i dont know what the new xcr's would e any differrent than the older ones since the tread is the same. my 300 slid easier w/ the xcr's and jeff stoess said the xcr's that came stock on his cannondale slid almost to easy, for your 450, i would try the xc's first

haywire4130
05-27-2004, 12:06 AM
i have a pair of new (about 15 minutes on them in sand) 20x10x9 holeshot xct's that i would trade straight up for your stock rears (as long as they're like new).they are 6 ply and grip very well, i just hate the way bias ply tires ride (a little stiff for my liking) i rode a couple 450r's and was amazed by the dunlop radials they come with! i know everyone on this site hates stock stuff, i can see the hate mail coming-:rolleyes:

joe1l
05-27-2004, 07:05 AM
i have a pair of new (about 15 minutes on them in sand) 20x10x9 holeshot xct's that i would trade straight up for your stock rears (as long as they're like new).they are 6 ply and grip very well, i just hate the way bias ply tires ride (a little stiff for my liking) i rode a couple 450r's and was amazed by the dunlop radials they come with! i know everyone on this site hates stock stuff, i can see the hate mail coming

Hey I really appreciate the offer, but I put about 25 hours on my rears already. I do like the rears, but they give me a little too much traction for my liking, and they do not like to slide as much as I would like. I am looking for a "play" tire, that will take a beating though!:devil:

Cody_300ex
05-27-2004, 07:21 AM
You might want to try the new holeshot H-D. They look really good!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-27-2004, 08:51 AM
I think the Holeshot HD would be to aggressive for a play rider. I have the xcr on my 450r, I was only able to get about 9 miles on them with the 450r but they were working well at the GNCC in TN and I liked them on my 400ex also, they work well in all conditions even sandy soil. I have not tried the xct so I can't compare.

cdalejef
05-27-2004, 09:46 AM
If sliding is what your after go with the XCR. If you want traction go with the XC. I think XCR's slide too much.

joe1l
05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
The way I figured, was that those side treads on the XCR's would keep it from sliding, but I guess not!!! I think I may try them out!
Someone had told me the XC's had less bite than the XCR's but I guess not.
Joe

cdalejef
05-27-2004, 10:26 AM
XCR's were desighned for the bikes with low horsepower to be able to slide the rear end.

quadjeff
05-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Doug Eichner was riding the H-D they looked awesome. The terrain was rocky, sandy, hard pack. If you get what I am saying they looked pretty good. Good luck

joe1l
05-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Guys thanks for your help, I think i'm going with the XCR's. I will let you know how I make out!