PDA

View Full Version : LT 80 Tether

lilredridenwood
05-26-2004, 07:47 PM
I am installing a tusk tether on my daughters 04 LT80 but im not for sure what wire to splice into. I want to keep the key ignition and the off/run switch intact. Do I splice into the orange wire from the key it is only hot if the key is on?

LT80
05-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Remove the hood. Find the wires that come up from the motor.
There is a white/red and a black/red wires together. You tie into the black/red wire

lilredridenwood
05-27-2004, 05:17 PM
thanks for the info, Im on my way right now to do it!:D

lilredridenwood
05-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Do they make diffrent kinds of tethers? I put the tusk tether on the LT80 and spliced into the black/red wire like LT80 told me to but it works just opposite of how it should. If the tether is installed it wont run if you take it off it runs normal!!! WTF :mad:

LT80
05-27-2004, 08:50 PM
OK, I'll guess that you unplugged the connection,then took one of the tether wires and connected it to one end of the red/black wire. You then took the other tether wire and connected it to the other end of the red/black wire.
What I neglected to say (and I consider this my fault) is to tie one of the tether wires to the frame to be grounded. This can be dame at the fender mounbting bolts under the hood. The other thether wire is then tied in to the red/black wire. I prefer to strip a small section of the red/black wire and wraping the tether wire then taping it.
You will notice on the tether switch, one end shows metal and has a wire comming out of it. Ground this wire or a shock :eek2: will occure when touched. :D

lilredridenwood
05-30-2004, 07:47 PM
I did what you explained, so in the morning i will change it around and will make sure it works. We are leaving for Wynoka friday morning! Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated.

lilredridenwood
05-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I redone the tether this morning and it works perfect.Im doing the first maintenence on it and I must be a f'n idiot because I see no way to adjust the chain that it needs!

SHOCKER
05-31-2004, 01:34 PM
yes there are diferent tethers, uhhh pro design thats the only one besides tusk, the pro design one is really nice but more expensive, i have it and i think its sweet,

LT80
05-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Your certainly no idiot as there is no chain adjustment.
The simplest way to adjust the chain is to use a chain roller.
Put the roller in the middle of the loop and pull down to adjust the chain. put the bolt thru the roller and mark where it hits the metal piece that joins the motor/rear end. Drill hole and install roller.You may need a longer bolt and some washers to put the roller out on the chain properly.

lilredridenwood
05-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Thanks again LT80 you have been very helpful!:D

Lucky
05-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Try this its listed under the solution.

PCPoffroad.com (http://pcpoffroad.com/)

LT80
06-01-2004, 08:28 AM
That tentioner is cool. basically cuz it's the same as I made, but I mounted it differently.
Someone somewhere made a 250R chain adjuster. I got it, took it apart, turned some things around and put it back together.
COOL BEANS!
That's a better set-up that midwest-mini made.