PDA

View Full Version : dirtwheels?????I"M CONFUSED!

TRX450R014
05-26-2004, 04:13 PM
I was sitting on the crapper reading the
june issue of dirtwheels and there is a shootout between the 450r/yfz 450.
Needless to say the yfz won again,which
is fine but why then does it say that both machines turned in nearly identical lap times.They also say they top out neck and neck at 80 mph.Not to mention in every action pic the 450r is ahead of the yfz.I am not trying to start anything and I realize the book also states that the riders turned in quicker laps on the yfz initially,but all that tells me is the 450r takes a little longer to get used to.I think both are awesome which is why I don't know why people say honda goofed with the 450r.Just wanted to put that out there because I know a lot of people's
opinions are based on what is in the mags.The best way to find out how any machine works is to try one or race one.
Please don't turn this thread into a pi**ing contest,Thanks

WOracing
05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
I understand what you are saying.....but i know you know neither of them top out at 80....right;)

dreth
05-26-2004, 04:36 PM
hey man when your right your right. i dont care what you ride as long your having fun . my buddy has a yfz and i got to ride it before he did . it has great bottom end power, the seat was real hard, and it jumped good. but it isnt a honda. the honda does take some getting use to at first because of the gearing but that can be fixed. why does it always have to be a competition between these bikes? hondas are more reliable and have proven that over the years. honda riders are just more loyal than others. if your having fun i dont care if you ride a solar powered tricycle, so can we please just ride now

kazpr
05-26-2004, 04:38 PM
"Not to mention in every action pic the 450r is ahead of the yfz." lol was noting that also!!

WOracing
05-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by dreth
hey man when your right your right. i dont care what you ride as long your having fun . my buddy has a yfz and i got to ride it before he did . it has great bottom end power, the seat was real hard, and it jumped good. but it isnt a honda. the honda does take some getting use to at first because of the gearing but that can be fixed. why does it always have to be a competition between these bikes? hondas are more reliable and have proven that over the years. honda riders are just more loyal than others. if your having fun i dont care if you ride a solar powered tricycle, so can we please just ride now

lol u sumed that up pretty well:D

Punk'd
05-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Lesson learned.. DIRTWHEELS SUCKS:macho

spincr4hire
05-26-2004, 07:29 PM
since you were on the crapper, should have put the pages to good use after you read it.;)

the_hulkamaniac
05-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Is that the one where they make note of the hondas light front end again? Where it's jumping ahead of the yammie:)

If so you can see later in the mag that, I think it's Joe Bird's yfz is flying just like the Honda was, maybe he just got one with a light front end.

Not trying to crap on the yammie, just dirtwheels being dumb! Yet again.

belcher31
05-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by WOracing
I understand what you are saying.....but i know you know neither of them top out at 80....right;)

What makes you so sure they want run 80mph when they are modded?

Duncanracer
05-27-2004, 08:08 AM
the 2 kids riding the quads are logan holladay and brad howe...they are pretty much pro level riders, and with both of them on the quads they normally ride they would turn identical lap times, but when they switched quads it probably took them a bit to adjust...

but at the tracks 3 out of 5 times you'll see logan out ahead of brad, and logan rides the 450r....

Motoman440
05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
since you were on the crapper, should have put the pages to good use after you read it.;)

LMAO!!! Good point!!!

Shawn H
05-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I totally agree with you.While reading I thought all the same as you.

Yamaha came out first and it seems all the mags are catering to them for changing to a more race oriented quad.

I give props to yamaha for that but they tried the same thing with there RX1 snowmobile.Same hype and all in the mags it slowly is dwindling away bacause of the Firecat and Rev sleds.

a1965gt
05-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Dirt Wheels does tent to contradict itself quite a bit.
In the first test drive artical they wrote they praised the 450R and said it seemed much better than the YZF in just about every catagory. The next issue they tested them side by side and gave it to the YZF hands down....
Dirt Wheels has lost alot of credibility in my eyes...
PS: I ride both Yamaha and Honda.... love them both.
my blood runs blue and red.

danyeo
05-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Yamaha probably bought more advertising for that issue. Don't feel bad. I ride a Dale and when they compared it to the z400 the Dale easily beat it in a drag, was faster on the MX track, jumped better, handled better, But OH it didn't have a user friendly powerband and they still picked the Z as the overall winner. Dumbwheels!

WOracing
05-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by belcher31
What makes you so sure they want run 80mph when they are modded?

i was talking about stock....sorry for confusion

XC250R
05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Maybe it isn't that Honda goofed, but that Yamaha finally didn't?

KFX400MxR
05-27-2004, 07:51 PM
You tell me which one is better when your yfz catches fire due to elecrtical problems

danyeo
05-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by KFX400MxR
You tell me which one is better when your yfz catches fire due to elecrtical problems

That's a new one.

TRX450R014
05-27-2004, 11:08 PM
I actually believe the 450's can do 80 mph with those mods because mine will do around 85 mph give or take.I have a 36 tooth rear sprocket which is going the opposite way most of you guys go.I do a lot of trail riding on old dirt roads with lots of long straight stretches and most of my buddies have banshees.I actually love the way my quad works now,the pipe really helped bring the bottom end back.Also I would not change first gear for all the tea in china.

Pro400EXC
05-28-2004, 07:20 PM
I also love how Dirtwheels praised the Cannondales and said yamaha and honda brought knives to a gun fight and so on,now the Cannondale is liek the biggest POS to dirtwheels and it can't move outta its own way and so on...

They are a buncha BS...The Cannondale can come back and smoke them in all categoris,but because the power might be to harsh or the grips are too stiff,it loses...

DMH
05-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
Mission: Total YFZ450 and TRX450R destruction...!!!

Nope... Nope... Not going to happen here in Florida!:D

SHOCKER
05-28-2004, 10:27 PM
hey thats not true, fell the yfz seat its no lazy boy :) but i was reading that today and it says that the yamaha reacts better to mods and has better performance, but for both i think the honda is better for me and the yfz just way to many people have them, but i think the 450r looks sweet with lots mods, i dont know hwy but it just looks better with mods

TRX450R014
05-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Yes,the yfz probably does make more power with typical mods but there is a reason:It has higher compression and makes most of it's power in the mid to upper end of the rpms.If the 450r had the same 11.9.1 comp and had a higher rev limit from factory it would be more powerful as well.Considering this and the fact that we don't have an FCR carb the 450r is one impressive machine.Once again I want to stress the fact that I am not dissing the YFZ,just stating some well known facts.Anyway,I am going riding tomorrow with some buddies and were going to have a great time no matter what were riding.

Scottie Mac
05-29-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R014
.Anyway,I am going riding tomorrow with some buddies and were going to have a great time no matter what were riding.

Isn't that all that really matters, anyway?

Scott

05-29-2004, 09:46 PM
your going to buy what you want to ride! it does get me mad that ALL of the mags pick the yami but only seem to tell what they didn't like about the hon. in the same sence they tell everything that they thought was so great about the yami. i think they are trying to even the playing field. honda has been king on the tracks for so long (250r-400ex). personaly it comes down to what your comf with . i rode the yami last year and didn't like it so i bought the r, and i'm very happy. so far first in my class, knock on wood:cool: :D just ride hard:macho

Mikeado
05-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Dirt Wheels blows....my friends always get them and I look at them and look to see which one wins and the ones I usually pick and I know will out perform usually loses... ITs gay....and also there speeds are messed up...I Dont know tho its wierd....I would pick the 450r just because a honda.... Hondas u can beat the hell out of them and the next day they will start right up...Yammies suck... yea roll it and the whole thing gets hurt...:devil:

sparky450AR
05-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire

I agree, and dont hold in your farts...because if you do, they will seep up into your brain....and thats where all the $hitty ideas come from;) :D

05-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Mikeado
Dirt Wheels blows....my friends always get them and I look at them and look to see which one wins and the ones I usually pick and I know will out perform usually loses... ITs gay....and also there speeds are messed up...I Dont know tho its wierd....I would pick the 450r just because a honda.... Hondas u can beat the hell out of them and the next day they will start right up...Yammies suck... yea roll it and the whole thing gets hurt...:devil: dude its not suposed to be a pi#$^g contest:blah: and you have to take all info you get , wether it be from a friend or a mag, with a grain of salt. i always read dirtweels for the little bits hear and there i could put to good use. + the race pics get me pumped to go ride:D

Dirt Wheels blows....my friends always get them and I look at them and look to see which one wins and the ones I usually pick and I know will out perform usually loses... ITs gay....and also there speeds are messed up...I Dont know tho its wierd....I would pick the 450r just because a honda.... Hondas u can beat the hell out of them and the next day they will start right up...Yammies suck... yea roll it and the whole thing gets hurt...:devil: dude its not suposed to be a pi#$^g contest:blah: and you have to take all info you get , wether it be from a friend or a mag, with a grain of salt. i always read dirtweels for the little bits hear and there i could put to good use. + the race pics get me pumped to go ride:D

05-30-2004, 10:08 PM