PDA

View Full Version : wood ramp curve?

devildriver422
05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
hey im building a 3-4 foot wooden ramp and i wanna know how to make it a smooth curve any plans would help thx

FTR250Rnif
05-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Have you checked out Freeride technologies? im sure they coulds help you out:)

devildriver422
05-26-2004, 08:04 PM
link?

FTR250Rnif
05-27-2004, 09:24 AM
not sure of the link, sry...try google search;)

EXJUMPER
05-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Here is how to make a nice and smooth wood ramp that is strong enough to park a car on it. Trust me..... I built one of these almost three years ago when I was doing the bmx thing and from time to time I would get bored (still do) so I would pull the ramp out and drive my jeep up one side of it. That puts alot of side force and have never had any problems. To make the ramp smooth and strong you are going to need these items: 5 sheets of 1/2" plywood (4'x8'), about 25 8' 2x4's studs, some nice long course drywall screws and for extra protection some marine paint. Start first by laying three pieces of plywood on top of each other and once you get them nice and straight, put a couple nails in them to hold them together. Now stand the three pieces that you nailed together up and have a freind hold them up for you. You want the long side of the wood to be on the ground. Now run a string from the top of one corner to the bottom of the opposite corner. After you get the slope you want in the string put a couple pieces of tape on it to hold it together. Now you can take a can of spray paint and paint over the line. This will show you where you need to cut. Lay the plywood back on the ground on top of some 2x4's and cut the line with a jig saw. After you cut it out, take the nails out and seperate the pieces. Now you will have your sides and middle support done. So say you want the ramp to be 8' wide......take most of the 2x4's (probably around 20) and cut them in 4' lengths. Now have your buddy hold up one side and screw one of the 4' 2x4's in each bottom corner. You should use two screws in each piece. Now get the middle support and screw it to the 2x4's, at this time you want to put a four foot piece at the top. Now screw two more 2x4's to each bottom corner of the middle support, then screw the last side piece on. Don't forget to put a 2x4 at the top of that side. Now you want to take the rest of the 2x4's that you cut up and start screwing all of the pieces together. You shouldn't have more the 5" in between each 2x4. Once you get all the 2x4's screwed in from the top of the ramp to the bottom of the ramp it's time to lay the top. Lay one of the two remaining pieces of plywood long ways (from top to bottom) on one side of the ramp. Start screwing it in place at the bottom and work your way up. You can have your freind put wieght on it so it's easier to screw down. Once you get that side down, do the same to the following side. Now take the remaining 2x4's and put a couple braces on the inside. Take the marine paint and paint the ramp. It would be best to paint it inside and out so no water can get to the wood. Now set the ramp up and try not to kill yourself. :devil: